• AVR Freaks

Hot!pic18F45K50 programming issues, invalid device ID - NOT a hardware issue. SOLVED

Author
RobinAbbott
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
2020/07/07 06:35:05 (permalink)

pic18F45K50 programming issues, invalid device ID - NOT a hardware issue. SOLVED

OK, issue was power supply. By bad luck the socket on the application did not connect the second Vdd pin, which was also the case on the ZIF socket. Never been an issue before but it appears that this device needs both Vdd and both Gnd to be connected (even though the chip connects them internally).

Hope this may help someone else.

===============
So I have a couple of programmers, one a PIC Kit 3 and the other a 3rd party programmer.

Neither are able to program a PIC18F45K50. The PIC Kit 3 reports an invalid ID - 0xffe0.

I know the hardware is fine - I've tested in the application circuit with a different device, and I've tested in a ZIF socket adaptor wiht the K50 and with other devices. Both programmers in both circuits can read and program other 40 pin devices, but neither can handle this device. Have tried 3 devices I had previously and 2 brand new devices. All had the same issue - if you read the chip ignoring the device ID then the chip returns 0xFFFF everywhere - all locations, User ID, config fuses..

To add to this, and more bizarrely, the 18F25K50 from the same family in the same ZIF socket programmed fine.

Any good ideas ?
post edited by RobinAbbott - 2020/07/07 09:03:55

1 Reply Related Threads

crosland
    • Total Posts : 2009
    • Reward points : 0
    Re: pic18F45K50 programming issues, invalid device ID - NOT a hardware issue. SOLVED 2020/07/07 11:07:42 (permalink)
    5 (4)
    robin.abbott@fored.c
    OK, issue was power supply. By bad luck the socket on the application did not connect the second Vdd pin, which was also the case on the ZIF socket. Never been an issue before but it appears that this device needs both Vdd and both Gnd to be connected (even though the chip connects them internally).

Not connecting all required pins is not bad luck, it's bad design.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5