• AVR Freaks

MCP39F521 Erroneous NAK Response

Author
laffelt
  • Total Posts : 162
  • Reward points : 0
2020/06/29 13:13:14 (permalink)

MCP39F521 Erroneous NAK Response

I am using an MCP39F521 as an active power measurement tool to control the power being delivered to lamp for constant light output regardless of the AC line voltage shifts. I am using a Silicon Labs SI8606 digital isolator between it and my PIC32MX controller, we are getting readings every 250mS from the MCP chip and using the average power readings to modify a phase angle fired output to control the power to the lamp.

This system can work well, for hours up to several days but invariably the MCP chip starts to return a NAK (0x15) instead of the ACK (0x06) and all the data bytes are 0.  The only thing that restores it to proper operation is a full power cycle. I have tried resetting the MCP thru the RESET input (pin 10), recycling the power to it (it has an isolated 3.3V DC supply), nothing clears the NAK responses other than a full power off cycle.

In reading the literature I see that the NAK is only mentioned as a response to a calibration command but we never attempt to calibrate the device, we are using the power value as a figure of merit to control against and not as an absolute power measurement.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

TIA,
Larry Affelt

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5