Author
stinf
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points : 0
2020/06/18 03:21:47 (permalink)

ATWINC15x0 and ground

Hello!
I am using an ATWINC1510 on my board. The module is the one with an u.Fl connector. A small u.Fl to RP-SMA coaxial cable is used to connect the module to the antenna, which is very similar to the one suggested by Microchip. The board is battery powered, and is part of a measuring system.
The board passed RED certification with no issues, but after certification we had an issue and two boards were broken.
I think this could be due to the following:
- the u.Fl connector on the module has its metal case connected to the circuit reference
- the u.Fl to RP-SMA cable has its shield connecting the metal cases on both sides
- the RP-SMA metal case is in direct contact with the metal case, which is used as a chassis reference because the entire system is battery powered and so does not have an earth connection.
I can actually isolate the cable on the RP-SMA side, so that the cable metal case is connected to the circuit reference but isolated from the metal box, but this way I would have an external access to the circuit reference, and this does not sound good to me.
Have you got any suggestions?
Does the antenna connection need a "ground" connection?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Stefano

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5