Author
huttojb
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 0
2020/06/01 03:15:57 (permalink)
4.8 (5)

Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome

Morning all.

I used to post on here frequently and get all the help from the experts in their fields.  I took a break from uC Programming as I just lost motivation in it. 

I have my mojo back and started up again, getting my PCB made by JLCPCB and re-inventing my PCBs.  Just wanted to say a friendly "hello" and hopefully be talking to you lot soon.

My projects are usually around PIC18F4680 device, using C18 and CANbus/Serial Related.  I know I am using an older device, older compiler and an old version on Microchip IDE but currently this is what I know, what I have and what works.  I will be looking to create a duplicate PCB and use a more upto date device and probable go to XC8;  but I just want to get what I have working with new PCBs first.

Thank you.

Jason. 

16 Replies Related Threads

katela
    • Total Posts : 1808
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 03:25:15 (permalink)
    Welcome back!

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
    YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
    crosland
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 03:44:41 (permalink)
    I recoiled in horror the first time I looked at MPLAB X, XC8, etc., some years ago.

I made the switch last year and it's been mostly plain sailing. Porting C18 code to XC8 isn't difficult, there is a guide on what to look out for. I prefer X (NetBeans) to MPLAB 8, probably because I use NetBeans for other projects and have learned to live with it's issues.
    huttojb
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 03:52:14 (permalink)
    crosland
    I recoiled in horror the first time I looked at MPLAB X, XC8, etc., some years ago.

I made the switch last year and it's been mostly plain sailing. Porting C18 code to XC8 isn't difficult, there is a guide on what to look out for. I prefer X (NetBeans) to MPLAB 8, probably because I use NetBeans for other projects and have learned to live with it's issues.

Thank you for volunteering to help Smile: Smile

Yeah, It is something I need to do, I have been working for years on a project and want to finish it before having to re-do it all.  As soon as I am happy with the project I am working on and happy with the 5 Nodes that I have already done (just getting the PCB made by JLCPCB) It will make it easier to do changes.  Currently my PCBs are not made that well, everytime I open the box something goes wrong so I am just creating all the schematics, documenting the BoM and reviewing at the Code.  

PStechPaul
    • Total Posts : 2720
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 12:33:32 (permalink)
    Welcome back! I had not heard of JLCPCB - looks like they are another low-cost competitor to PCBWAY and PCBCART. I don't know how they can make five 100mm square PCBs for only $2 and $10 to ship to USA (in 30 days).

nigelwright7557
    • Total Posts : 441
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 12:47:17 (permalink)
    I have tended to used older PIC's.  I still use PIC12F508 for simple projects.
    I have also done a few USB projects using 18f4550.
    My latest project needed a faster PIC than the old 20MHz one.
    I went for a 72MHz PIC32MX274 and was shocked to find it was cheaper than the old slow PIC I was using !
    I sometimes find the older stuff is becoming obsolete.

nigelwright7557
    • Total Posts : 441
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 12:50:32 (permalink)
    PStechPaul
    Welcome back! I had not heard of JLCPCB - looks like they are another low-cost competitor to PCBWAY and PCBCART. I don't know how they can make five 100mm square PCBs for only $2 and $10 to ship to USA (in 30 days).

I started using Chinese pcb makers a few years back as they were about half the price of UK manufacturers.
    I started with Botech circuits, then found PCBWAY was cheaper and now find JLCPCB to be not quite the cheapest but definitely better quality and zero problems.
    I tried PCBGOGO as they were cheapest and they sent back a pcb with through hole plating when I specifically asked for them not be. They di dagree to redo the pcb's free of charge.
    dan1138
    • Total Posts : 3620
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 13:02:20 (permalink)
    huttojb
    I have my mojo back and started up again, getting my PCB made by JLCPCB and re-inventing my PCBs.  Just wanted to say a friendly "hello" and hopefully be talking to you lot soon.

You may be better off with MPLABX v5.30 on a trial run first. The current v5.40 has "issues", v5.35 does as well.

As the Linux and MacOS tool chains are not used widely yet there's less "motivation" at Microchip to address platform specific issues as for the Windows tool chain. So if you can use Windows 10.
    upand_at_them
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 13:59:08 (permalink)
    0 (2)
    PStechPaulI had not heard of JLCPCB...I don't know how they can make five 100mm square PCBs for only $2 and $10 to ship to USA (in 30 days).

Easy.  Slave labor.

RISC
    • Total Posts : 5732
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 15:12:11 (permalink)
    Hi huttojb,
    The good news is...that you may not need to do a new PCB when using a more recent PIC18 device.
    e.g. the PIC18F46K80 is pin to pin compatible with PIC18F4680. Depending on how you use each pin functionality you may have some missing function but I would say it is 99% compatible.
    Regarding SW some adjustments will be needed but...PIC18F46K80 has actually more peripherals packed into it than PIC18F4680.
    Additionally, PIC18F46K80 is supported by MCC (graphical code generator) which will help you setup the various peripherals.
    Make sure also to use the microchipdeveloper website which contains many tutorials on various subjects which you might find of interest
    Regards
    OscarTheGrouch
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 22:48:24 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    PStechPaul

I have used them to make one PCB. Looked and worked great. Had free shipping for my first order so they were only $2!!
    OtG
    OscarTheGrouch
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/01 22:49:45 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    upand_at_them
    PStechPaulI had not heard of JLCPCB...I don't know how they can make five 100mm square PCBs for only $2 and $10 to ship to USA (in 30 days).

Easy.  Slave labor.

Automation.
    huttojb
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/02 03:07:23 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    nigelwright7557
    I went for a 72MHz PIC32MX274 and was shocked to find it was cheaper than the old slow PIC I was using !
    I sometimes find the older stuff is becoming obsolete.

Exactly, I'm finding that I have to buy my PIC18F4680's off ebay, and they are being quite expenses.  But I am not doing this to make a profit, this is all personal, so it's not too bad!

I have used JLCPCB 4 times now, and with their free EASYEDA Software and process to order the PCBs direct from the EASYEDA application I am delighted with the service, tools and support they have given.  I do highly recommend the company.  Although I do pay for express delivery and the delivery cost is basically the same price. 

If people have not made their own PCB, I recommend using EASYEDA Online, it's very self explanatory, 

Thank you all for the warm welcome again.  

Jason.
    oliverb
    • Total Posts : 285
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/02 06:24:18 (permalink)
    IMO the "K" PIC parts have some really nice features. If you haven't got a PICKIT3 I'd advise trying to get one. I've had a fairly positive experience with XC8. I never really liked the old MPLAB so moving to MPLAB X was relatively easy apart from the menu structure. There seemed to be a lack of good tutorial material for XC8/MPLAB back then, but fortunately someone had adapted some older C18 examples to XC8.

The revision control support in MPLAB X is reasonably good, could do better but still it integrates quite well with Git.

Antipodean
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/02 16:19:32 (permalink)

dhpalmer
    upand_at_them
    Easy.  Slave labor.

Automation.

Oh, so the same thing then ... grin: grin

Do not use my alias in your message body when replying, your message will disappear ...

Alan
    PStechPaul
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/02 18:50:41 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    It just seems like so many of these Chinese vendors price things way below what would be a reasonable price point, where they could make at least some profit and pay their workers more fairly, while also pleasing all but the stingiest customers. I'd be very happy to pay $2 each for such PCBs, or even $5, which I think would be a good price point.

Some time ago I was talking to a friend who had been involved in computer engineering and manufacturing, and he was looking for a company to manufacture PC motherboards. The supplier immediately replied, "Two dollars". He said, "I haven't even told you the specifications yet!" And they replied, "Doesn't matter. The price is $2". Doesn't seem possible...

PStechPaul
    Re: Back on it - Not technical a friendly welcome 2020/06/02 18:50:41 (permalink)
    It just seems like so many of these Chinese vendors price things way below what would be a reasonable price point, where they could make at least some profit and pay their workers more fairly, while also pleasing all but the stingiest customers. I'd be very happy to pay $2 each for such PCBs, or even $5, which I think would be a good price point.

Some time ago I was talking to a friend who had been involved in computer engineering and manufacturing, and he was looking for a company to manufacture PC motherboards. The supplier immediately replied, "Two dollars". He said, "I haven't even told you the specifications yet!" And they replied, "Doesn't matter. The price is $2". Doesn't seem possible...

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5