• AVR Freaks

Hot!MPLAB X 5.40 Hardware connection tool can't find my Curiosity 2.0 PIC MZ EF Board

Author
BillP
  • Total Posts : 414
  • Reward points : 0
2020/05/28 09:55:04 (permalink)

MPLAB X 5.40 Hardware connection tool can't find my Curiosity 2.0 PIC MZ EF Board

I've also posted this on the MPLAB X forum, but so far no solution, so I will try the Harmony people. 
I believe this is an MPLAB X problem when I moved to v5.40, but I also updated all my Harmony repos, so there could be a problem there.  Here is what I have done so far..
I am on a Mac (OS 10.14.6) using a Curiosity 2.0 PIC32 MZ EF board.  Everything was working on MPLAB X 5.35, Harmony v3 and repos dated before last week.  I updated MPLAB X to 5.40, XC32 to 2.41 and all the latest repos, then the Hardware connection tool does not show the Dev 2.0 board (see attached)
I uninstalled 5.40 and still have the problem with 5.35 with latest repos.  I have searched all over the MPLAB X folders looking for where the Hardware connection tools are defined, but I can't find it (yet).

Any ideas?

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

RISC
    • Total Posts : 5775
    Re: MPLAB X 5.40 Hardware connection tool can't find my Curiosity 2.0 PIC MZ EF Board 2020/05/28 11:48:35 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Duplicate :  https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1141583.aspx
    No need to post twice on the same subject.
    Your issue is unrelated to  Harmony...but just MPLAB X
    I sugget you open a ticket on Microchip support.
    regards
    BillP
    Re: MPLAB X 5.40 Hardware connection tool can't find my Curiosity 2.0 PIC MZ EF Board 2020/05/29 07:45:17 (permalink)
    There is a small chance the problem is Harmony-related as I did update all the repos when I installed MPLABX 5.40 and not everyone looks at all the forums.  Maybe someone in this forum knows the problem and solution. 
    As a last resort I will open a support ticket.  My experience with support tickets is not good.  The last one took 3 months to not solve a problem that a forum post solved immediately.
    paulmtcuk
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re: MPLAB X 5.40 Hardware connection tool can't find my Curiosity 2.0 PIC MZ EF Board 2020/07/16 01:45:47 (permalink)
    I put in a support ticket for this -  This is a bug in MPLAB X. To work around this, Select "No Tool" as the programmer/debugger. Then in MPLAB X choose the either "Make and Program device" or "Debug", You'll be asked for a list of tools again, this time Curiosity Starter Kits PKOB 4 will be available, select it and it will connect - however in Project properties it still remains "No tool" - but still connects to the Curiosity board.
    BillP
    Re: MPLAB X 5.40 Hardware connection tool can't find my Curiosity 2.0 PIC MZ EF Board 2020/07/17 08:52:38 (permalink)
    This problem is especially difficult because it is not consistent and reproducible.  I, too, put in a support ticket and while we were debugging the problem, power cycling the dev board "fixed" the problem.  Weeks later the problem reappeared and the previous solution did not work.  The board showed up in the Show All list of Tools but it could never be selected.  

I finally found a solution that (so far) has fixed the problem.  I noticed that the IPE has a connection button that does not work when the board is not talking to the IDE/IPE.  However, with no changes to the board or connections, I can run the IPE 5.35 and it does connect, showing all the firmware versions.  I then download a hex file from a working project.  Then go back to IDE 5.40 and it starts working again.  

I believe the problem was introduced in v5.40 and involves reading the header info from the dev board.  I can't do a file compare on jar files so I cannot look for differences between v5.35 and v5.40.  Hopefully someone at MCHP can find and fix this problem.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5