Hot!EZBL with REAL-ICE programming

Author
JoshKeys
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
2020/05/21 06:01:29 (permalink)

EZBL with REAL-ICE programming

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with after implementing EZBL, having the PIC not respond to erasing/programming with their REAL-ICE. I have no issues bootloading, but the REAL-ICE does not work. Every now and then I can get it to erase out of luck. At which point, I can program it all day long without a bootloader. But the moment I add the bootloader, it no longer responds to the REAL-ICE. 

I'm using the bootloader unmodified from the I2C example (and successfully bootloading). 
I can get into more details later but wanted to know if this is a known issue first.

Thanks,
Josh

3 Replies Related Threads

du00000001
    Just Some Member
    • Total Posts : 3942
    Re: EZBL with REAL-ICE programming 2020/05/21 06:43:10 (permalink)
    Welcome to the intricacies of current debuggers!
    It's not only RealICE - I expect the same for PICkit and ICD. And Arm debuggers, and ...
    (Although the issue is not restricted to current debuggers: even the venerable "emulators" had their issues in such a configuration.)

Are you aware that compilation for debug adds some code to your application and depends on the debugger "owning" the reset vector (plus some more)? Does your EZBL implementation relay all these to an applicaton compiled for debug? Or what is your setup?

PEBKAC / EBKAC / POBCAK / PICNIC (eventually see en.wikipedia.org)
    JoshKeys
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: EZBL with REAL-ICE programming 2020/06/15 05:46:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay from me, I spent a bit of time trying to learn some more. It makes me feel better knowing that there is a reason for the issues. Whenever I need to work on firmware and debug I've just been removing the bootloader and adding it back in when done. 

I'll spend some more time looking into the datasheet for the chip and looking through the ezbl files etc. Any other good resources you can recommend? 

Thanks,
    Josh
    RISC
    • Total Posts : 5776
    Re: EZBL with REAL-ICE programming 2020/06/17 09:04:09 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Real-Ice / ICD3 / ICD4 / Pickit4 tools can always erase PIC & dsPIC whatever is inside, whether they are protected or not (they don't care about the application, even if it is a bootloader). If you have an issue it is either on PC side or on real-Ice side (sometimes it may have difficulties to update its firmware like other tools when you change from one PIC to another)
    Can you show the error message (screenshot) of the output window ?
    Which version of MPLAB X do you use ?
    Which device do you use ?
    Which compiler version do you use ?
    Which OS do you have on your machine ?
    Can you show the schematics of your ICSP connections ?
    Regards
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5