• AVR Freaks

Hot!What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads,

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mukesh12
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
2020/03/29 21:56:49 (permalink)

What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads,

Hi,

Embedded developers work on micro, To program the micro, we write the code on IDE and that IDE can run on any OS like Windows or Linux.

What does Linux device driver means when recruiters mentions it in job requirements for embedded engineer 

23 Replies Related Threads

ric
    • Total Posts : 26942
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 12:33:09 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    It has nothing to do with the micro you are programming. It's software running on the Linux mqchine to access an external device.
    You're in the wrong place to ask about it. You need to learn how to program in a Linux system, and how low level drivers work.

I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    Bob White
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 15:18:36 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The term "Embedded Development" covers activities from writing assembly language code for bare metal microcontrollers (like PICs)  to writing the code that runs under operating systems for devices like your mobile phone.  Embedded is a big world.

So when a company wants someone to write a "device driver" they are probably looking for some to write the code that plugs into an operating system core (like a Linux kernel) that provides an API to the programmer on one side and controls hardware (such as a touch screen) on the other side.

NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 18655
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 15:52:50 (permalink)
    Bob
    Probably, but not always.
    So use the term to mean can you write low level code to connect to peripherals and Hardware.
    One would have to look at the context of the ad.
    Bob White
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 16:12:34 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    NKurzamn  Agreed, which is why I wrote "probably"

Cheers.

mukesh12
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 20:34:30 (permalink)
    Thank you for quick response. I know Microcontroller has features such as UARTs, Timers, A/D or D/A converters, CAN o etc. I think device driver is program provide interface for accessing hardware service in in peripheral modules such as UARTs, Timers, A/D or D/A converters, CAN o etc. But still have big confused

I just want to learn with simple task and looking small program for device driver How to develop small device driver ?

PIC and MPLABXC
    :
    ric
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 20:42:04 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    mukesh12
    I think device driver is program provide interface for accessing hardware service in in peripheral modules such as UARTs, Timers, A/D or D/A converters, CAN o etc.

I think you are mistaken.
    They would not then be described as a "Linux device driver"
    Code inside an MCU to control a peripheral isn't described as a "device driver" at all. That is a "big computer" term.

pcbbc
    • Total Posts : 1687
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 20:45:47 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    8-bit PICs don’t have device drivers.
    Device drivers are the software ”glue” between the hardware and the OS APIs.
    As 8-bit PICs don’t have an OS, it follows they don’t require device drivers either.

If you want to learn about “tasks” and “drivers” the 8-bit PIC platform is not a suitable starting point. They have neither.
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 21:01:33 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Linux device drive have a specific Documented API.
    The Must follow certain rules to insure they do not interfere with the System.
    They can interface with Internal or external Hardware peripherals.  Or Be Only Software.
    There should be plenty of information about them on the web, in Forums, And in Books.

This has little to do with Small PICs.  Where the question is does the same kind of Code rise to the Level of a Driver.
    ( I say No, But some say yes)
    1and0
    Access is Denied
    • Total Posts : 10779
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/30 22:35:49 (permalink)
    oliverb
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 00:32:51 (permalink)
    At risk of stating the obvious an embedded system could be running Linux. Granted an 8 bit PIC won't be but a 32 bit part with enough memory can, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were OS kernels that would fit on a dsPIC.

Device driver development typically requires both "bare-metal" programming and the ability to work to a strict API specification.

ric
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 00:57:15 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    If you look back at post#1, the OP thought running the IDE under Linux was enough to describe his code as a "Linux device driver"... ;)

mukesh12
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 04:01:47 (permalink)
    lets take one example 

if we have 32 bit pic and i2c sensor and linux os so we have to write code on linux os  to interface sensor and 32 bit pic 

Is this process called device driver ?
    pcbbc
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 04:23:22 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    mukesh12we have to write code on linux os

Where you are writing the code, and what OS the machine you are cross-compiling on is running, is imaterial.  It's where it will be running that is important.
    katela
    • Total Posts : 1745
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 08:26:49 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I think you are misunderstanding the whole concept of drivers.
    Let's take an example for a USB code.
    You might write a code for the USB peripheral on a PIC microcontroller, Your MPLAB X IDE might be running in Windows or MAC or whatever OS, it's immaterial in this scenario.
    But your PIC might be required to connect to a Linux computer to sent data or receive data for example. for the Linux machine to recognize that USB device, it will need some device driver, depending on the USB class code you wrote, this device driver might already be available in the Linux OS or that's where you will have to create that Linux device driver.

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
    YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
    mukesh12
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 21:48:21 (permalink)
    katela
    I think you are misunderstanding the whole concept of drivers.
    Let's take an example for a USB code.
    You might write a code for the USB peripheral on a PIC microcontroller, Your MPLAB X IDE might be running in Windows or MAC or whatever OS, it's immaterial in this scenario.
    But your PIC might be required to connect to a Linux computer to sent data or receive data for example. for the Linux machine to recognize that USB device, it will need some device driver, depending on the USB class code you wrote, this device driver might already be available in the Linux OS or that's where you will have to create that Linux device driver.

This means that the device driver has to run on the PC to communicate the embedded system with the PC

I have done this but I did not use any device driver. PIC micro was taking data from the sensor and sending data to PC via UART
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 22:12:10 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The PC has its own Device Divers.

These have nothing to do with drivers on the embedded system. And the embedded system doesn’t really care what it’s connected too. Or if the system It is connected to has device drivers or not.
    ric
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 22:19:04 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    NKurzman
    The PC has its own Device Divers.

+1
    There is a "device driver" on the PC allowing your software to communicate with the USART hardware.

pcbbc
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/03/31 23:56:17 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    mukesh12
    I have done this but I did not use any device driver. PIC micro was taking data from the sensor and sending data to PC via UART

Windows Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) -> Select your PIC serial port and right click properties -> Driver -> Uninstall -> tick delete driver from system*

Let me know when you done, and how much luck you have communicating with your PIC afterwards...

* Not an entirely serious suggestion unless you want to mess up your system
    mukesh12
    Re: What employers are looking for when they mention device driver in a job ads, 2020/04/01 06:21:33 (permalink)
    I am sorry but I still do not understand Linux device driver in context of embedded system 

I understand PC device driver. How the Linux embedded device driver is different then PC device driver?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5