• AVR Freaks

Hot!MPLAB X-IDE 5.35 Debugging with ICD3 on macOS - memory reads as zero

Author
bigdave1357
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
2020/03/28 02:57:18 (permalink)

MPLAB X-IDE 5.35 Debugging with ICD3 on macOS - memory reads as zero

I'm developing using the above setup on a PIC24FJ128GA202 and I find that when I hit a breakpoint and attempt to evaluate and of my program variables, or to dump file registers, everything shows as zeros in the program.

I can do the most basic of things, such as:

int test = 0;
test++;
if (test> 0)
   test++

and I can see that the program is executing as expected (the if branch is followed) but at every step along the way I cannot see any value for test other than zero.

This is repeated in any program I try to debug.

I had been developing on macOS until late October when I switched to Catalina and therefore had to move my IDE to Windows due to lack of 64 bit support. So I also have a Windows installation of the X-IDE and it works perfectly - the above code snippet would behave as expected AND I can see the values of the variables as I progress.

I'm supposing this is a bug in the 5.35 installation for macOS.

1 Reply Related Threads

bigdave1357
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Reward points : 0
    Re: MPLAB X-IDE 5.35 Debugging with ICD3 on macOS - memory reads as zero 2020/04/07 10:28:31 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    This turned out to be an error with the update process. The macOS V5.35 IDE was trying to update the firmware of the ICD3 unit and failing, but then going on to use the out of date firmware anyway. The resulting behaviour is perhaps not unexpected.

The update was failing simply because the USB port handler was tied up in knots on my Mac. A reboot allowed the IDE to properly update the ICD3 and from then on it has worked.

I didn't initially notice that a firmware update was needed and was failing. Had I seen that earlier, I could have fixed this much sooner. My bad.

post edited by bigdave1357 - 2020/04/07 10:30:37
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5