Helpful ReplyHot!Microchip MCU support from MATLAB Embedded Coder

Author
WeHongKongers
  • Total Posts : 279
  • Reward points : 0
2020/03/08 03:53:00 (permalink)

Microchip MCU support from MATLAB Embedded Coder

Dear All Microchip and MATLAB Embedded Coder users and developers,
Good to see you again after almost one year.

I accidentally find that MATLAB has a toolbox called Embedded Coder.  It claims that it provides a GUI programming environment for many MCU platform including Microchip.

Embedded Coder
Microchip Support from Embedded Coder
Microchip dsPIC Microcontrollers Support from Embedded Coder

It comes without saying that it must be a very complicated and expensive software. I am planning to apply for a trial license and see what it can help me to overcome MCU programming task.

Could you share your experience?  Any story is welcome.

To Microchip engineers, the MATLAB official page does not provide a complete support list of Microchip MCU.  Then, how do I choose a compatible MCU to work with MATLAB Embedded Coder?

Another question is: even if MATLAB Embedded Coder GUI programming environment can programme supported MCU very well, how does it handle 3rd party hardware peripherals connected to that MCU?  Do we have to do text coding for all those 3rd party hardware peripherals?

I am looking forward to your opinions.

post edited by Tim Cruise - 2020/03/08 03:54:33
bmckay
Technical Marketing
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Microchip MCU support from MATLAB Embedded Coder 2020/03/09 10:50:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Tim Cruise 2020/03/10 02:02:48
5 (1)
MathWorks provides the Code Generation products (including Embedded Coder) which are available for a fee. There are a variety of Commercial and Educational licenses for these products

Microchip authors and provides the support to take the code generated from MathWorks tools and have it run on Microchip parts via MPLAB. This solution is provided for free, but requires use of Embedded Coder.

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/71892-mplab-device-blocks-for-simulink-dspic-pic32-and-sam-mcu

Cheers,
-Brian
WeHongKongers
  • Total Posts : 279
Re: Microchip MCU support from MATLAB Embedded Coder 2020/03/10 02:08:10 (permalink)
Hello Brian,
Welcome here.  You are new member.

How do you rate MATLAB Embedded Coder's code generation's quality?

I am not a Text Coder. I always rely on certain kind of GUI like Microchip MPLAB X.  I am also learning LabVIEW.  Your opinion can help me to make a better choose.
bmckay
Technical Marketing
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Microchip MCU support from MATLAB Embedded Coder 2020/03/10 07:57:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Tim Cruise 2020/03/10 11:45:14
Hi Tim,

BLOT: Generated code is excellent quality and commonly used for production applications. However, the quality / efficiency is dependent on how well you configure the code generation tools.

Long form:
MathWorks has been doing code generation for embedded systems for 20+ years. Code generated from our tools is in all your transportation modes (car, bus, train, plane), the phone in your pocket, the satellite it connects to in orbit,  and running on Mars in the Mars Rovers. We have additional workflows for verification and certification (ISO 26262, DO-178B, iEC 61508, etc). Our code generation tools are used by every major Automotive, Aerospace, and Industrial Automation & Machinery company in the world.

HTH,
-Brian

Brian McKay
Technical Marketing
MathWorks
Jump to:
© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5