Author
glaukos
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
2020/02/27 08:52:17 (permalink)
5 (1)

Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3

Hello,

I have installed MPLAB IDE v5.30 under Ubuntu LTS 18.04.01 and the MPLAB Harmony Configurator 3 over the Plugin toolbox of the IDE. I can successfully launch and use the MPLAB Harmony 3 Content Manager from the "Tools -> Embedded" menu. However, launching the MPLAB Harmony 3 Configurator from the same menu first opens the "MPLAB Harmony launcher", and - upon clicking "Launch" - only opens a small empty window that can't be closed. The console shows a Nullpointer exception for which I have the call stack attached. I hope you can help me get it working.

Thank you.

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at com.microchip.mh3.dialog.ErrorDialog.<init>(ErrorDialog.java:17)
 at com.microchip.mh3.mplx_launcher.core.CoreIDE$1.taskFailed(CoreIDE.java:120)
 at com.microchip.utils.task.TaskManager.update(TaskManager.java:126)
 at com.microchip.utils.task.TaskManager.access$000(TaskManager.java:9)
 at com.microchip.utils.task.TaskManager$1.run(TaskManager.java:198)
 at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
 at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
 at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
 at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:159)
[catch] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
 at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:190)
 at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:235)
 at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:233)
 at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport.enter(WaitDispatchSupport.java:233)
 at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:1084)
 at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1671)
 at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1623)
 at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Window.java:1014)
 at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Dialog.java:1005)
 at com.microchip.mh3.mplx_launcher.core.CoreIDE.startup(CoreIDE.java:693)
 at com.microchip.mh3.mplx_launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:46)
 at com.microchip.mplab.modules.mh3.MHCLauncher.Launch(MHCLauncher.java:217)
 at com.microchip.mplab.modules.mh3.MHCLauncher.PreLaunch(MHCLauncher.java:128)
 at com.microchip.mplab.modules.mh3.MH3OpenActionPerformed.actionPerformed(MH3OpenActionPerformed.java:23)
 at org.openide.awt.AlwaysEnabledAction$1.run(AlwaysEnabledAction.java:199)
 at org.openide.util.actions.ActionInvoker$1.run(ActionInvoker.java:95)
 at org.openide.util.actions.ActionInvoker.doPerformAction(ActionInvoker.java:116)
 at org.openide.util.actions.ActionInvoker.invokeAction(ActionInvoker.java:99)
 at org.openide.awt.AlwaysEnabledAction.actionPerformed(AlwaysEnabledAction.java:202)
 at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
 at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
 at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
 at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
 at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:376)
 at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:842)
 at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:886)
 at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6539)
 at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
 at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6304)
 at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2239)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2297)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4904)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4535)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4476)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2283)
 at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
 at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
 at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:84)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
 at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:159)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

8 Replies Related Threads

DGTLMAN
    • Total Posts : 72
    Re: Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3 2020/02/28 09:42:38 (permalink)
    Hi glaukos,
    Thank you for reporting this issue.  From the error messages, it looks like MHC was opened without having created an MPLAB X project.  I just tested this on the following system and it gave me a reasonable "No project is currently open" dialog.
    • Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (admittedly an old version)
    • MPLAB X IDE v5.30 (the current version)
    • MPLAB Harmony Configurator v3.4.1 (the current version)
    We will look into it, to see if we can reproduce the issue.  In the mean time, we recommend that you ensure the following.
    If that doesn't work, please reply here go to http://microchip.com/support for additional help.

-DGTLMAN 
    sjai
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3 2020/03/02 08:00:38 (permalink)
    I have the same issue on Windows 10 with MPLAB X IDE v5,30 and MHC v3.4.1, except that I don't get the small window. When I click "Launch" nothing happens and I find the exact same exception.

I can start mhc in two projects I created myself for the PIC32MK0512MCF100 and it is working just fine. But as I have some trouble with the Harmony Bootloader, I ordered the PIC32MK1024GPE Development Board and wanted to test the pic32mk_gp_db.X project in "Harmony\bootloader\apps\uart_bootloader\bootloader\firmware" to have a working excample as a reference. But with that project I get the exception and after the exception occured once, MHC doesn't start any more at all. But if I restart MPLAB and set my own project as main, MHC starts again.

I seem to remember that I initially had some issues with starting MHC with my own projects too, but so far I couldn't recall what I changed to solve the issue...
    arpananand
    • Total Posts : 488
    Re: Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3 2020/03/02 21:02:51 (permalink)
    in which path did you guys install Harmony 3 packages (using content manager)? if you used default path provided by content manager, then can you try to install it in some other path of your machine and see if issue is resolved or not.

We have discovered some issue with default path installation and it will be fixed soon.
    sjai
    Re: Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3 2020/03/03 00:04:49 (permalink)
    I have installed it all in "D:\Harmony" so it is not the default path.
    post edited by sjai - 2020/03/03 00:21:01
    arpananand
    • Total Posts : 488
    Re: Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3 2020/03/03 01:10:21 (permalink)
    sjai

are you getting the exception only with "Harmony\bootloader\apps\uart_bootloader\bootloader\firmware" project or you get the same issue with any other apps projects as well?

Kathir Kernel
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3 2020/03/03 01:51:09 (permalink)
    glaukos
    Hello,

I have installed MPLAB IDE v5.30 under Ubuntu LTS 18.04.01 and the MPLAB Harmony Configurator 3 over the Plugin toolbox of the IDE. I can successfully launch and use the MPLAB Harmony 3 Content Manager from the "Tools -> Embedded" menu. However, launching the MPLAB Harmony 3 Configurator from the same menu first opens the "MPLAB Harmony launcher", and - upon clicking "Launch" - only opens a small empty window that can't be closed. The console shows a Nullpointer exception for which I have the call stack attached. I hope you can help me get it working.

Thank you.

[code]java.lang.NullPointerException
     at com.microchip.mh3.dialog.ErrorDialog.<init>(ErrorDialog.java:17)
     at com.microchip.mh3.mplx_launcher.core.CoreIDE$1.taskFailed(CoreIDE.java:120)
     at com.microchip.utils.task.TaskManager.update(TaskManager.java:126)

Can you please confirm that the framework packages (mhc, csp, dev_packs) are cloned properly?
    Or
    Please download only mandatory packages(mhc, csp, dev_packs) and try again.

sjai
    Re: Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3 2020/03/03 01:57:50 (permalink)
    arpananand
    sjai

are you getting the exception only with "Harmony\bootloader\apps\uart_bootloader\bootloader\firmware" project or you get the same issue with any other apps projects as well?

I can't test that right now, as I already get an exception today at opening a project:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
     at com.microchip.mplab.crownkingx.xPIC.initFamily(xPIC.java:362)
     at com.microchip.mplab.crownkingx.xPIC.<init>(xPIC.java:95)
     at com.microchip.mplab.crownkingx.xPICFactory.create(xPICFactory.java:276)
     at com.microchip.mplab.crownkingx.xPICFactory.create(xPICFactory.java:78)
     at com.microchip.crownking.edc.PICFactory.get(PICFactory.java:126)
     at com.microchip.crownking.edc.PICFactory.get(PICFactory.java:138)
     at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.assemblies.assembly.MCAssembly.<init>(MCAssembly.java:55)
    Caused: com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.assemblies.PartyException: Unable to access device information database for PIC32MK1024GPE100
     at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.assemblies.assembly.MCAssembly.<init>(MCAssembly.java:60)
    [catch] at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.assemblies.assemblyfactory.MCAssemblyFactory.Create(MCAssemblyFactory.java:33)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.makeproject.AssemblyProviderImpl.createAssembly(AssemblyProviderImpl.java:407)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.makeproject.AssemblyProviderImpl.createAssembly(AssemblyProviderImpl.java:383)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.makeproject.AssemblyProviderImpl.getAssembly(AssemblyProviderImpl.java:185)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.makeproject.api.configurations.LanguageToolUtils.getAssembly(LanguageToolUtils.java:382)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.makeproject.api.configurations.LanguageToolUtils.getSelectedPIC(LanguageToolUtils.java:314)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.makeproject.api.configurations.LanguageToolUtils.getSelectedPIC(LanguageToolUtils.java:300)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.toolchainXC32.XC32SystemIncludeProvider.getIncludes(XC32SystemIncludeProvider.java:32)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.api.Compiler.getSystemIncludeDirectories(Compiler.java:168)
     at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.makeproject.NativeProjectProvider.getSystemIncludePaths(NativeProjectProvider.java:748)
     at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.modelimpl.csm.core.ProjectBase$DefaultFileItem.getSystemIncludePaths(ProjectBase.java:3630)
     at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.modelimpl.csm.core.ProjectBase.getIncludeHandler(ProjectBase.java:1582)
     at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.modelimpl.csm.core.ProjectBase.createPreprocHandler(ProjectBase.java:1567)
     at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.modelimpl.csm.core.ProjectBase.preCreateIfNeed(ProjectBase.java:1271)
     at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.modelimpl.csm.core.ProjectBase.createIfNeed(ProjectBase.java:1279)
     at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.modelimpl.csm.core.CreateFilesWorker$CreateFileRunnable.createProjectFilesIfNeedRun(CreateFilesWorker.java:230)
     at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.modelimpl.csm.core.CreateFilesWorker$CreateFileRunnable.run(CreateFilesWorker.java:189)
     at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1423)
     at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:2033)

The first time I got this exception today, a reboot of my computer took care of it. But right now, I can't get MPLAB to open a project...
    I also get a message that "RI4Tool was detected and ignored" even if I unplug just about everything from the computer. Something is going haywire today with MPLAB.

I'll report back as soon as I could test with other app projects.
    sjai
    Re: Nullpointer Exception when starting Harmony 3 2020/03/03 04:56:22 (permalink)
    It is working for me now, although I didn't really find the problem. MPLAB X 5.30 isn't working for me any more and I found that I'm not the only one with the problem: https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1130378.aspx
    So I downloaded and installed 5.35 and it is working so that I could test with other app projects that come with Harmony.

And with that testing I found that it is only with the debugger example projects that I copied to a different folder that I get the exception on trying to start MHC. When I open the original project in the Harmony folder, I can start MHC. But when I copy the complete uart_bootloader folder in Harmony\bootloader\apps to a different location and open the project there, I get the exception. Possibly some relative path somewhere?

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and especially the questions that pointed me in the right direction!

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5