• AVR Freaks

Hot!MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu?

Author
RoboDLC
  • Total Posts : 400
  • Reward points : 0
2020/02/20 11:15:54 (permalink)
4 (1)

MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu?

I have MPLAB 3.26 and 5.25 installed, and appearing on my Start menu stuff.  I just installed MPLABX 5.30 and it did NOT install to the Start menu.  Not the optimal outcome.  Do I need to uninstall the earlier ones to get this to install correctly?  Log out?  Reboot? 
Windows 10 Enterprise (64 bit, Intel x64)
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.125

And oddly, uninstalling 3.26 did NOT remove MPLABX 3.26 from the Start menu. 

I will post when I get it going again, but if anyone else has an idea, I am all "eyes".

A reboot corrected the link icon issues.  Whew!

DLC
post edited by RoboDLC - 2020/02/20 13:03:58

DLC
Robotics hobbyist, firmware engineer
dlc@frii.com

9 Replies Related Threads

rodims
    • Total Posts : 1557
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/20 12:24:58 (permalink)
    There is no general behaviour like that.  MpLabX 5.30 will also place itself in the Program/Microchip/MPLAB X IDE folder like all other versions. Just like all the previous versions. And you should find its icon on the desktop.

What about your installation location ?
    Can you start MpLabX directly from:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.30\mplab_platform\bin\mplab_ide64.exe"
    ?
    RoboDLC
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/20 13:27:34 (permalink)
    Well, the link icons went where they were supposed to.
    I started 5.30 and it asked if I wanted by 5.25 plugins installed?  I said yes.
    Epic fail.  I am not even sure what this is telling me.  MCC didn't come in, it looks like my RealIce drivers didn't come in, I think.  No, RealICE is working. 
    So what is missing that causes the errors below?
    This certainly has not been smooth.

The MCC doesn't appear in either the Available or Installed Plugins.

+ Configuration "default" load error: PIC24F-GA-GB_DFP 1.0.67 is used in the configuration and it is not installed
    Resolution: Click on the below link to resolve the same version of DFP
    Resolve DFP for project NewTemperatureX16

+ Configuration "default" load error: PIC24F-GA-GB_DFP 1.0.67 is used in the configuration and it is not installed
    Resolution: Click on the below link to resolve the same version of DFP
    Resolve DFP for project NewTemperatureXC16

Could not generate makefiles for configuration default.

Exception during attempted creation of a runtime properties class: null caused by Runtime class name - com.microchip.mplab.nbide.toolchainXC16.XC16SelectedProperties
    Errors have occurred while loading one or more configurations.
    If a specific error is not shown above, this may happen when you import a project from another computer.
        + You can add language tools in Tools->Options embedded tab.
        + You can change which language tool to use in the project properties dialog.

Could not generate makefiles for configuration default.

Exception during attempted creation of a runtime properties class: null caused by Runtime class name - com.microchip.mplab.nbide.toolchainXC16.XC16SelectedProperties
    Errors have occurred while loading one or more configurations.
    If a specific error is not shown above, this may happen when you import a project from another computer.
        + You can add language tools in Tools->Options embedded tab.
        + You can change which language tool to use in the project properties dialog.

I will report back as I get my IDE functioning again...

DLC

DLC
    dlc@frii.com
    rodims
    • Total Posts : 1557
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/20 14:16:33 (permalink)
    Hm, I don't think it asked to install 5.25 plugins for my 5.30 installation.
    But that may depend on your existing (individual) plugin installations.

I can add the MCC plugin (3.95) to my 5.30 installation (I did not have installed MCC in 5.25), and it takes a bit lengthy to restart and actually install it, but everything without error.

Just to avoid any chance for a problem with a corrupted setup file, I would download your 5.30 setup once more.
    RoboDLC
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/20 16:00:59 (permalink)
    rodims
    Hm, I don't think it asked to install 5.25 plugins for my 5.30 installation.
    But that may depend on your existing (individual) plugin installations.

I can add the MCC plugin (3.95) to my 5.30 installation (I did not have installed MCC in 5.25), and it takes a bit lengthy to restart and actually install it, but everything without error.

Just to avoid any chance for a problem with a corrupted setup file, I would download your 5.30 setup once more.

The 5.30 didn't allow a "modify" so I uninstalled it.  Things just keep getting worse...  The persistent files in /users/<name>/AppData/Roaming/mplab_ide/dev deleted my 5.25 configurations and left the 5.30.  Removing several days worth of MPLAB 8 to MPLABX migration efforts.  Sigh.  I hope the data got copied to the 3.50 folder!
    Re-installed 3.50, no apparent problems.  Updated by XC8 and XC16 compilers while I was at it.
     MCC plug was there and I could install it.  One problem down!

I still get the
    errors. 
    And I can't compile my X16 projects, I get this error:
    make -f nbproject/Makefile-default.mk SUBPROJECTS= .build-conf
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target '.build-conf'.  Stop.
    make[1]: Entering directory 'C:/Projects/SeriesHL/HLsensorsBarracuda/Temperature/NewTemperatureXC16.X'
    make[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/Projects/SeriesHL/HLsensorsBarracuda/Temperature/NewTemperatureXC16.X'
    make: *** [.build-impl] Error 2
    nbproject/Makefile-impl.mk:39: recipe for target '.build-impl' failed

BUILD FAILED (exit value 2, total time: 64ms)

So it looks like my PIC24FJ package didn't install(?), which prevents me from creating my projects.  In case it was a versionitis problem with the c compiler, I tried to change the compiler from the 1.41 XC16 to the 1.50 version, but the properties settings wouldn't let me.
    Interesting, XC16 1.41 is 32bit, XC16 1.50 is 64 bit. 

Google has not been any help so far.  Does anyone else have a suggestion?  I continue to wrestle with this, but appear to only be digging the hole deeper...

Thanks,
    DLC

post edited by RoboDLC - 2020/02/20 16:03:07

DLC
    dlc@frii.com
    ric
    • Total Posts : 27676
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/20 17:33:38 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    dlc@frii.com
    Interesting, XC16 1.41 is 32bit, XC16 1.50 is 64 bit. 

That is because the latest version of Apple OSX won't support 32 bit applications at all, so the compilers are slowly moving to 64 bit.

I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    crosland
    • Total Posts : 1989
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/21 03:33:00 (permalink)
    Do you have the correct user permissions to install and generate the makefiles?
    RoboDLC
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/21 10:34:08 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    crosland
    Do you have the correct user permissions to install and generate the makefiles?

Yes, I am an administrator on my workstation and I installed for all logins.  I have Googled this problem, but the only hits I get are my posts here.  What makes my system unique?  Is anyone else working on Windows 10 Enterprise workstations?  None of these problems happened with my 5.25 or 3.26 installs.  Time to file another bug I guess.
    *EDIT*
    I think I got it working.  the 5.25 preferences folder re-appeared.  Weird.  Anyway, under my PIC24FJ64 project preferences I see a package with a "resolve" next to it.  That asked if I wanted to download this package.  Apparently not all parts are installed when you select your initial install.  That installed and reloaded the project.
    NOW it compiles, or tries to anyway.  This is a complex project that uses a bootloader that I crafted with a custom linker file.  THAT problem has yet to be resolved.

Anyway, I have it all working now.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Now to get my C30 PIC24FJ project to work with the XC16 compiler tools!

DLC
    post edited by RoboDLC - 2020/02/21 10:58:27

DLC
    dlc@frii.com
    Jim Nickerson
    User 452
    • Total Posts : 6688
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/21 10:38:59 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    RoboDLC
    Re: MPLABX install on Win10 Enterprise does not install in the Start menu? 2020/02/21 11:00:45 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Administrator login group, as Administrator on my workstation.

DLC
    dlc@frii.com
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5