Author
edebit
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Reward points : 0
2020/02/13 03:11:43 (permalink)

Activate CCS Compiler in MPLAB X IDE V3.40

Hello,

I am using MPLAB X IDE V3.40 and I installed compiller CCS through this article: https://www.ccsinfo.com/p..mplabx_ccs_tutorial.pdf

I followed the section "How to install the CCS C Compiler inside MPLAB X" and 2How do I add CCS C Compilers to MPLABX's list of compiler toolchains? - Option 2 – Add ccsc.exe to MPLABX's Build Tools" (I couldn't execute the Option 1 – Add ccsc.exe to Window's PATH). After this all steps I can't use CCS Compiler. Also I searched to term "CCS" in my path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip" but I can't find anything - I did this hoping to find a file CCS compiler to indicate the path in "Option 1 – Add ccsc.exe to Window's PATH".

You can see my screen referent to the MPLAB X IDE V3.40:

https://imgur.com/MyQJQxp
    https://imgur.com/ppfuC7k
    https://imgur.com/3ku9oyY

Thanks

Best Regards
ric
  • Total Posts : 26106
Re: Activate CCS Compiler in MPLAB X IDE V3.40 2020/02/13 03:16:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jim Nickerson 2020/02/13 08:00:00
+5 (5)
Do you have to use such an ancient version of MPLABX?

I also post at: PicForum
Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
Mysil
  • Total Posts : 3666
Re: Activate CCS Compiler in MPLAB X IDE V3.40 2020/02/13 09:23:49 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Hi, edebit

A question first: Have you actually downloaded and installed the CCS compiler itself?
Have you paid for a commercial version of the CCS compiler, or applied for a Demo version of the compiler?

CCS compiler is not installed in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\..."
It have it's own directory:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\PICC\Ccsc.exe"
unless you have messed with the installation procedure for the compiler.
There are a number of files in there, including documentation and header files.

The Plugin that you have installed in MPLAB X is Not the compiler itself.
The Plugin is a small program that MPLAB X IDE use to give commands to the command line interface of the compiler.

This is with MPLAB X v5.30, used on a notebook computer with Windows 10:
I just tried to download a Demo version of the CCS compiler, and installed it.
There was some options to install a plugin for MPLAB X as part of the install process,
but that did not work to make CCS compiler available in MPLAB X 'Project Properties.
Installing the CCS C Compiler Plugin in MPLAB X 'Tools' 'Plugins' ...   
and then restarting MPLAB X IDE, have made the CCS compiler available in 'Project Properties'.

Mysil
post edited by Mysil - 2020/02/13 09:36:59
edebit
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Activate CCS Compiler in MPLAB X IDE V3.40 2020/02/23 07:53:09 (permalink)
Hello,

I am reading a book about how programmer PIc's. The author advice the reader to use CCS compiler. That is why I am trying install this compiler.

I googled in internet and find this artilcle. Is this compiler paid? Or exist the possible use it for free?

The MPASM and XC8 is this free, right? (because I have them installed on my computer and I don't paided any for them).

Note: I am use the MPLAB X IDE V3.40 because the same author advises this version.

Thanks
Best Regards
pcbbc
  • Total Posts : 1644
Re: Activate CCS Compiler in MPLAB X IDE V3.40 2020/02/23 08:41:07 (permalink)
+2 (2)
edebitI am reading a book about how programmer PIc's. The author advice the reader to use CCS compiler. That is why I am trying install this compiler.

And yet the book doesn’t provide any instructions for how to do this, or use the tools it is recommending?
I might suggest it’s not that great a book.

I googled in internet and find this artilcle. Is this compiler paid? Or exist the possible use it for free?

No idea, sorry. Never used it.

The MPASM and XC8 is this free, right? (because I have them installed on my computer and I don't paided any for them).

Free without the top levels of optimisation. If you are just using for hobby/learning experience, then this should be fine.

If you find yourself running up against limitations of speed or space on such a project the most cost effective option is to switch to another device. There are plenty to choose from and they hardly going to break the budget.

Note: I am use the MPLAB X IDE V3.40 because the same author advises this version.

Most likely the version available when the book was published.

if you want help round here, I’d go with the MC products. Very unlikely to find any CCS advice on a dedicated MC support forum. Not being rude, but probably it will be more fruitful if you search elsewhere for help with that.
Jump to:
© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5