• AVR Freaks

PIC32 receives IP address when powered via adapter, but not when powered via PoE

Author
Corjan
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
2020/01/27 04:23:29 (permalink)

PIC32 receives IP address when powered via adapter, but not when powered via PoE

Hi,

I've made a PCB with relais and digital inputs, the network stuff is based on the PIC32 Ethernet Starter kit. The board can be powered via adapter, but also via Power over Ethernet. It's all working fine when the board is powered via adapterpower. I can first plug the poweradapter in and then the CAT cable and vice versa. The board shows up in the tcpip_discovery tool which can be found in the harmony utilities folder.

When I tried to power the board via PoE, the board is correctly powered and the PIC32 does his job. Also the LEDs on the RJ45 connector at the PCB side and the PoE-switch side have same behaviour as when the board is powered via adapter. But the board doesn't shows up in the tcpip_discovery tool. I've used Wireshark to capture the packets send by the board. When powered via adapter power, it uses DHCP to receive an IP address. When the board is powered with PoE, is tries to use its static IP settings and act not as a DHCP client. A static IP address that can theoretically work in the current network environment also does not work.

I've tried a Netgear ProSAFE GS108PE and a Ubiquiti UniFi US-16-150W. Both with same behaviour. 

I hope you are able to find a solution with me.

Thanks in advance.

Jump to:
© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5