• AVR Freaks

Hot!Using WINC1500 with RADIX server (802.1x)

Author
scotty2541
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 0
2020/01/21 12:54:03 (permalink)

Using WINC1500 with RADIX server (802.1x)

Hello,
I now have a WINC1500 attaching to any conventional secure WiFi.  And also have TCP/IP communication working as designed.
However, I am unable to connect to a network which requires 802.1x authentication.  The device claims to support it, however I can find no details of how to implement/troubleshoot it.
I am using the correct call:
m2m_wifi_connect(SSID,sizeof(SSID), M2M_WIFI_SEC_802_1X,&gstrCred1x,M2M_WIFI_CH_ALL);

However it does not connect.
The Radix server itself can see the attempted connection, and is replying with a certificate, which I am told I need to installed the CA for this certificate.

Has anyone done this?  Has anyone downloaded a CA file to aid in connection to a Radix server? 
There are function calls that show how to download to flash, but nothing details what/how/where in flash I would install them (if that's even where).  Or what format they need to be in (DER, ASCII, HEX...).
Plus, it all seems to describe HTTPS certs, which is not what is needed to connect 802.1x (as far as I know)

Any help would be appreciated.

{Code shown is not to scale}
-Scotty

2 Replies Related Threads

aschen0866
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re: Using WINC1500 with RADIX server (802.1x) 2020/01/21 18:32:06 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    The Radius server's root CA needs to be downloaded into the WINC1500 module. The PEM or DER formatted X.509 cert file gets parsed to extract only the fields necessary for the WINC module. I am not sure if there is an AppNote for this but your best bet is probably to look into the Atmel Studio/ASF example project "WINC1500 Certificate Download via OTA (HTTPS) from Host Example". You'll need everything in the <root_tls_cert> folder.
    scotty2541
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Using WINC1500 with RADIX server (802.1x) 2020/01/22 15:46:08 (permalink)
    Thanks, but I don't have Atmel Studio.  I have resisted installing gigs worth of unwanted IDE, libraries, drivers, bloat... just to have a way to rummage through some example code.
    MC/ATMEL should actually make sample code the available to people doing analysis and evaluation.

Searching hasn't come up with an AN on it.  But then again, searching hasn't given me much luck with anything they swallowed up from Atmel.

Besides, the library driver version I downloaded and used that was inside the MLA didn't work.  I would prefer not to waste another two weeks trying to figure out why something doesn't work, only to learn it's not supposed to be compatible.

MC support had to give me a different version for the firmware.  It worked within an hour (converting to the source to use the other MCU libraries to drive the SPI bus was easier the second time).

{Code shown is not to scale}
    -Scotty
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5