Hot!Harmony very slow to create a new project

Author
xxultz
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points : 0
2019/12/17 12:55:19 (permalink)

Harmony very slow to create a new project

Hello, I'm starting working with Harmony V3. My machine is a core I7, with 8G of RAM running Windows 10, and Harmony takes a very long time to open. As an example, I created a new project in MPLABX 5.25, I'm working with the ATSAME54 Xplained board, from the beggining untill Harmony is opened so I can start configuring the project, it took 25 minutes. Is it normal?
When I try to open a demo project, if the project is more complex, like with TCP/IP and freeRTOS, sometimes it needs more than 40 minutes to open! During the loading, the CPU usage is high and it is hard doing other tasks on the computer, which means that it is doing some heavy work.
I would like to know if that's normal, or there are any issues in my MPLABX/Harmony installation.

Thank you

6 Replies Related Threads

KTrenholm
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: Harmony very slow to create a new project 2019/12/17 13:48:40 (permalink)
    Are you talking about just opening a project?  Or opening Harmony Configurator?

Opening a project (just the project, not loading MHC) should be less than a minute to get it into the projects tab and be able to view source code.

Opening Harmony Configurator takes a good bit of time.  I just clocked it on my i5-3550 and 16GB of DDR3 at 4:10 to get to the Database Setup, and an additional minute from there to looking at the project graph.  I removed some of the database components of harmony that I don't use (BT,Crypto, and a few others) and supposedly that speeds it up.

Neither of these things should take anywhere near as long as you are seeing.  Definitely not "normal"
    Maybe you've got antivirus or something mucking with the process?
    nigelwright7557
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re: Harmony very slow to create a new project 2019/12/17 17:30:24 (permalink)
    I find projects and harmony C load up in a few seconds.
    Clearly something wrong with your setup.

Paul PortSol
    • Total Posts : 582
    Re: Harmony very slow to create a new project 2019/12/18 05:36:25 (permalink)
    Do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and in Task Manager check all the Performance items,
    maybe something else is consuming all your resources.

Lots of websites with advice on optimizing Win10, but I've found that sometimes you just have to re-install Windows when it gets too bloated (or in Win10 do a 'Reset' to clean it - backup your own files first!!).

Mine takes a good few seconds, but not minutes, for MPLABXv5 and MHCv3 (i7 16GB).
    (On my performance I'm often over 8GB used, so 8GB memory might just leave you constantly swapping memory to disk).

Paul
    post edited by Paul PortSol - 2019/12/18 05:38:00
    KTrenholm
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: Harmony very slow to create a new project 2019/12/18 07:58:08 (permalink)
    @Paul
    Are you using an SSD or a HDD?  Because the 4+ minute starting time for MHC drives me crazy and I was under the impression that was just normal.  I'd love to shorten it up if I could.

Red line denotes MHC start:

Looks like mostly disk activity that's getting hit, CPU usage is only around 20%, Disk usage stays around 90% active time, not a ton of I/O throughput though.  I've got 16GB RAM in this machine, so I'm not hitting the page file.
    I'm due to have my work PC updated with SSD sometime in the next couple months so here's hoping this annoyance just goes away.

OP, what do your Disk/CPU/Memory stats look like when starting Harmony?  That could give you a clue into where the bottleneck is, or if maybe the process for your antivirus or some other program is making trouble for you.  40 minutes is an insane amount of time.

Attached Image(s)

Paul PortSol
    Re: Harmony very slow to create a new project 2019/12/18 11:19:51 (permalink)
    It actually seems to stretch up to 30sec to complete startup (I don't have anything complex in Hv3 yet).

Attached are three startup performance captures MPLABXv530, MHCv2060, MHCv3.

Using a Lenovo Yoga 730 with 16GB, i7-8th, SSD. Specs attached (Careful, if you get one ensure you get an Intel Wifi/Bluetooth module installed, as the Realtech option is flakey, though easy to replace, youtube videos exist).

*PIC32MX and PIC32MZ projects, others could be very different  (Not using any ATMEL SAM stuff at this time).
    *Win10 fully up to date.

Paul

post edited by Paul PortSol - 2019/12/18 11:21:19

Attached Image(s)

Paul PortSol
    Re: Harmony very slow to create a new project 2019/12/18 11:48:55 (permalink)
    Quick speedup: don't close MHC
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5