Programming successful at 3,25V but not 5,0V

Author
RemcovH
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
2019/12/02 05:16:21 (permalink)

Programming successful at 3,25V but not 5,0V

Hello every one,

I have trouble with posting this thread, likely due to firewall blah blah. So this is part 1, and I will add or edit the additional parts. 

I hope someone can shine a light on my issue that I am having. I tried so search for it but I either use the wrong keywords or it just do not exist. Anyway, my problem is the following.

I have a PICkit 3 in combination with the latest IDE (v5.3) en IPE (v5.3) to write the code for and program my PIC (PIC18F87k22). But I have problems with programming my PIC in a certain scenario. What I am able to do is and therefore has tries it (also in the same sequence):

part 2

Kind regards,
Remco

Ps. If there is something missing just ask. I will try to answer it as fast a possible.

2 Replies Related Threads

NorthGuy
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: Programming successful at 3,25V but not 5,0V 2019/12/02 09:22:30 (permalink)
    It programs at 3.3V, but then it fails at 5V. Correct?

Is this HVP or LVP? If you do HVP, try measuring voltage on MCLR during programming. It might be too low (that's the difference between VDD and MCLR that matters, and VDD = 3.3V may give you enough difference, while 5V may not). Also, try switching to LVP and see if it works.
    RemcovH
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Programming successful at 3,25V but not 5,0V 2019/12/03 00:47:39 (permalink)
    Yes, you are correct @NorthGuy with your first statement.

I do not have the option in either IDE or IPE so select LVP or HVP. But this chip could be programmed with either of the two (according to "PIC18F6XKXX/8XKXX FAMILY" datasheet). I searched on the internet where I could set LVP/HVP (is in the power tab, and then you should be able to check either of the two). But that is not present in version 5.30.

So I measured MCLR. It appears to have the exact same curve at 3,3V and 5V. In either state MCLR begins starts at zero. At the start of programming MCLR goes to ~9V for 26,6ms. Then it will start to drop to ~3,6V in 7ms. Then is goes to zero again. 

So I am still baffled what it could be sad: sad
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5