• AVR Freaks

Hot!"....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable"

Author
Doubletop
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
2019/12/01 00:45:19 (permalink)

"....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable"

I've had this problem recently probably since I upgraded to MPLABX 5.15 and it continues with 5.30.
If I copy a project to another new project and compile it, it compiles OK but I get this error popup afterwards

I have resorted to editing the makefiles in the nbproject folders as they still have references to the original project name and folders.  In this case .... 1-2_1. I've never had to do this prior to MPLABX 5.15 it seems that during the copy the makefiles aren't updated.

No doubt I'm doing something wrong but what is it please? (It's nothing to do with the long file path name this is about the 25th variant of this project all with similar naming)

Pete
post edited by Doubletop - 2019/12/01 01:58:54

7 Replies Related Threads

Doubletop
    Re: "....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable" 2019/12/05 20:16:47 (permalink)
    Repost
    sdup
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: "....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable" 2019/12/12 02:51:55 (permalink)
    Hello,
    I had the same trouble on elf file.
    In the repository .../default/production/ , looking for .null extention file !
    If it exists then
    - restore from svn or git your .mk files
    or, if you haven't
    - search all OUTPUT_SUFFIX in .mk files and set "OUTPUT_SUFFIX=elf" for debugging (IMAGE_TYPE=debug) section and "hex" for production section

I never found what is produce this trouble.
    Just one of the many MPLabX bugs.

SD.
    Gort2015
    Klaatu Barada Nikto
    • Total Posts : 3510
    Re: "....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable" 2019/12/12 09:53:16 (permalink)
    The folder, "__Software dev"

mplabx does not like spaces.

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0
    + ST:Continues, "What Ships are Made for", Q's back.
    jdeguire
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re: "....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable" 2019/12/12 11:26:53 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    All of the .mk files under the nbproject/ directory are generated as needed by MPLAB X, so you should not copy those over when you copy a project.  The only files in the nbproject/ folder you should copy over are "configurations.xml", "project.properties" (if it exists), and "project.xml" (you change the name of the project in this file, by the way).  In fact, those files are also the only ones in that folder that you should put into version control.
    Doubletop
    Re: "....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable" 2019/12/12 12:07:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll investigate.

The folder '__Software dev' has been there for years and Copy Project hasn't had a problem with it until now. That doesn't mean to say that the new release hasn't revealed this bug.

Pete
    Gort2015
    Klaatu Barada Nikto
    • Total Posts : 3510
    Re: "....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable" 2019/12/12 15:06:57 (permalink)
    It's always been like that, I use caps and underscores only.

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0
    + ST:Continues, "What Ships are Made for", Q's back.
    Doubletop
    Re: "....Production.hex (or debug.hex) does not exist or is not executable" 2019/12/23 12:00:52 (permalink)
    jdeguire
    All of the .mk files under the nbproject/ directory are generated as needed by MPLAB X, so you should not copy those over when you copy a project.  The only files in the nbproject/ folder you should copy over are "configurations.xml", "project.properties" (if it exists), and "project.xml" (you change the name of the project in this file, by the way).  In fact, those files are also the only ones in that folder that you should put into version control.

Indeed that is the problem. deleting the .mk files in the projects nbproject folder fixes it. These recent versions of MPLAB copy them over when the Copy function is selected from within MPLAB. I guess that didn't happen in earlier versions.

Thanks for the tip.

Pete
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5