I2R
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
2019/09/30 16:25:49 (permalink)
5 (1)

dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's

Dear Microchip,

For the past 10 years my company has developed for and used, almost exclusively, the complete line of dsPIC30F processors. We also use some PIC32 devices. Our business targets the world of transportation where the S/N ratio requires the use of a 5 Volt processor. This fact has been discussed at length with your internal engineers in multiple conference calls, they all agreed this was the correct approach. We required the processing power of a DSP. A few years ago the dsPIC33-EV did not exist, there were no choices then.

We have a code asset, millions of lines, that covers every possible application that could be used in the transportation industry, from lighting to J1939. We also have 100's of thousands of dollars invested in hardware design and production gigs and associated equipment.

Over the evolution of MPLAB-X, which became a great environment over the years, support for the dsPIC30F family has been slowly abandoned, other than compiler support. The MPLAB® Code Configurator and the ECAN Bit Rate Calculator provide no support at all for this family of processors.

We all are entranced by the "shiny" object in the room, which the dsPIC30F family is NOT, however my company, and others, have provided revenue to Microchip over these 10 years based solely on the existence of this group of processors. It would appear that our continued support of Microchip has not been matched by Microchip's support of its long term customers. The effort to include these processors in the MPLAB-X plug-in's would not be significant. It is disheartening to see that the importance of the customers who invested in development and production utilizing the dsPIC30F family have been forgotten...   

Sincerely,
I²R

post edited by I2R - 2019/09/30 16:28:38

9 Replies Related Threads

NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 18402
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2019/09/30 16:55:39 (permalink)
    4.25 (4)
    1) It is unlikely Microchip will read this here.  It is a User Forum.
    2) Microchip has a long history of Abandoning Software, But making CPUs forever.
    3) Are you saying MCC removed old Chips, Or will never Support them?  The Availability of MCC will not enhance your existing code.  Or Hinder it.  They have indicated they are not going to add old PICs to it.
    4)  Did you push you FAE on the the ECAN Bit Rate Calculator ?  Note it is something you can do yourself.

katela
    • Total Posts : 1635
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2019/09/30 19:38:28 (permalink)
    It's tough on your side because of your existing code asset based on that chip, but it's also difficult on Microchip to include chips they deem old in new tools as their portfolio has hundreds of different MCUs.
    They have demonstrated the trend to support only relatively new MCUs.
    Even companies like Microsoft stops support of old operating systems at some time even if countless companies are still using them.
    No matter how tough it can be, migration to newer, better chips will have to happen one day.
    The best option is to contact them directly by opening a support ticket, they might provide a solution for your problem or hear what they will say.

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
    YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 18402
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2019/09/30 20:08:08 (permalink)
    This Sounds like a conversation for their F.A.E. If they have one.
    If they have the Chip volume, even better.
    JPortici
    • Total Posts : 923
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2019/10/01 02:01:09 (permalink)
    Has MCC ever supported dsPIC30F?
    Who cares! you didn't need it in the past, you don't need it now. What has changed? You know you can keep different versions of the compiler and the IDE together on the same system? they are effectively self cointaned, so you can keep an older version for the ancient devices and the updated version for the new devices

The can calculator.. maybe the one by microchip doesn't work but there are many on the web (in fact, i never used the microchip one)

In any case you can always find older versions of software. We can still use the ancient programmers for HCS devices even though we need to keep a windows xp virtual machine for those! And this is going to change in the next bacth of boards as we finally moved to software implementations of the keeloq decoder (which you can still find on the microchip website if you don't want to roll your own, it's one of the few that really works out of the box)

I understand your reasons, but at some point you have to migrate to the new parts.
    This is as good time as any, what will happen for example when you will be required to support CAN FD?
    There are families that will be released (like the future parts in the PIC32MK) that are the same old ones but with an FD controller, so that us customers won't have to redesign the whole board, just change the chip and update the configuration part of the firmware... But i'm pretty sure that the 30F is not one of those. It's pretty much dead and was not that good when it was released either.. so many limitations, the 5V compatibility was the only reason for them to exist IMHO

And from what i was told i fear that the 33EV won't be updated with can FD either. Time to move to external controllers, or 3V parts :/ I've already started doing that in the past couple of years..
    NorthGuy
    • Total Posts : 5965
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2019/10/01 07:08:16 (permalink)
    5 (3)
    I don't understand how MCC support would help with your old code base.
    I2R
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2019/10/01 13:51:54 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    North Guy,

I would ask that you take yourself out of the role of programmer/engineer and consider this from the business perspective...

Are you unaware of OEM qual on parts/assemblies...? The Hubble Space Telescope carries a 1990's Pentium Pro processor for this very reason. You cannot simply use newer hardware without ending up in court. Our designs had to pass the GM-Transportation Cycle Test , among others. Lots and lots and lots of $$$ just in certifications. It cost $30k to get our telemetry hardware certified by ATT and Verizon. Once certified you are LOCKED IN until you want to spend another $30k.

Also because we are writing variants of variants every week, 3 last week. If we were not under strict NDA i could tell you for whom and you would understand. All I can say is if you watch Supercar Blondie on Youtube in the past month you can see both of the cars that carry our hardware and software.
    ric
    • Total Posts : 26106
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2019/10/01 15:32:59 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I think you've totally missed NorthGuy's point.
    MCC is a tool for starting a new project, to show example code of how to use the peripherals in a particular device that an engineer may not be familiar with.
    It is of no use in maintaining existing code in a chip which you are familiar with. Your own existing code will be better than anything MCC would come up with.

How do you see MCC helping you continue using the devices you have been using for years?
    So long as the IDE and the compiler keep supporting them, what else do you want?

I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    dan1138
    • Total Posts : 3391
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2019/10/01 16:41:29 (permalink)
    ric,

I can almost understand the OP point of view from the context of training new coders for the project teams.

This only make sense to me when the OP would like to externalize the cost of creating training material to Microchip.

I wonder if the OPs company offers free training for products they do not promote for sale any more?
    jyaron
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re: dsPIC30F has been abandoned in MPLAB-X Add-On's 2020/02/18 16:31:59 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Yea.. not big on these "configurators".... just code it yourself using the datasheet.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5