• AVR Freaks

Hot!Real ICE - issue with user instrumented trace

Author
chris_pn
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
2019/09/23 11:21:22 (permalink)

Real ICE - issue with user instrumented trace

I purchased a Real ICE a couple of months ago mainly because of its trace capability.
Trace didn't work, so, as always, I suspected a mild form of PEBKAC. After some projects in between, I decided to give it another try, so I have read all the accompanying docs multiple times to make sure I wasn't making one of the more obvious mistakes.

My setup looks like this:
Win10 x64
MPLABX v5.25
XC8 v2.30
Real ICE FW 01.56.00

Hardware is a PIC18F46J50 FS USB demo board (MA180024), simple C project with one __LOG and __TRACE statement.
MPLABX project options:
- Real ICE > Trace and Profiling > Communcations Medium: Native
- Real ICE > Trace and Profiling > Disable Trace Macros: unchecked
- Real ICE > Clock > Target run-time instruction speed: 12 MIPS (the 46J50 is clocked at 48MHz)

The HW debug tool feature PDF says the 46J50 can do any of the three types of user-instrumented trace, which are native, SPI and port trace, so I picked native trace since it only requires the PGD and PGC lines which are connected anyway if you use the ICE for programming and debugging (both working).

Still, the trace window does not show any of the trace statements present in the code.
How can I get the user-instrumented trace to work?

Best,
Chris

2 Replies Related Threads

du00000001
    Just Some Member
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re: Real ICE - issue with user instrumented trace 2019/09/24 13:01:16 (permalink)
    Looks like your PIC18F46J50 could be designated "venerable": seeing the reference to the ICE 2000 and unable to find the word "trace" in the datasheet, I assume this derivative hasn't yet gotten the "debug engine V2" required to trace via the ICSP pins.
    The Real ICE might yet be able to trace in the SPI mode, using the high-speed driver interface.

While I have a Real ICE, I havent't yet had the need for tracing. Thus I might be wrong.
    Hey community ! - you're invited to correct my opinion !

PEBKAC / EBKAC / POBCAK / PICNIC (eventually see en.wikipedia.org)
    chris_pn
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Real ICE - issue with user instrumented trace 2019/09/26 22:22:40 (permalink)
    Seemingly, the HW debug tool feature guide* and reality are not in agreement.
    For the 18F46J50, the guide clearly says it can trace using either of the three transports,
    so I was led to believe this is accurate.

Did somebody manage to get trace working with a PIC18F?

* https://www.microchip.com...bug-features-by-device
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5