• AVR Freaks

Hot!ICD3 Failed to get Device ID since Monday

Author
vicoET
New Member
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2019/09/06 06:56:01
  • Location: 0
  • Status: offline
2019/09/17 03:17:09 (permalink)
0

ICD3 Failed to get Device ID since Monday

hello,
 i used my board (PIC32_EMZ64, based on PIC32MZ2048EFH064) and ICD3 for debugging all the weekend without any issue.
Just plugged off and restarted yesterday morning, the following message appears and i'm actually unable to work with.
 
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 3...
Currently loaded firmware on ICD 3
Firmware Suite Version.....01.56.00
Firmware type..............PIC32MZ
Target voltage detected
Unable to connect to the target device.
Failed to get Device ID
 
 
I have a second identical board.....same result (thinking the board itself damaged in some way).
Using a different board instead (custom board, based on PIC32MX695), all is working properly and, considering the ICD3 self-test is PASS, i'm sure that ICD3 is GOOD.
 
I also re-installed the newest MPLABX v5.25 and manually selected the ICD3 FW (ICD3FW_015600.jam): no effect.
 
Does maybe the new FW suite 01.56.00 have issues with my PIC32MZ???
 
No significant help from other discussions in here.
I also tried to recover an older FW suite version <01.56.00 but i didn't find it.
 
Any other suggestion or help?
 
thank you
vico
 
#1

5 Replies Related Threads

    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 17846
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2008/01/16 19:33:48
    • Location: 0
    • Status: online
    Re: ICD3 Failed to get Device ID since Monday 2019/09/17 05:16:27 (permalink)
    0
    Do you have the self test board that came with the ICD3? If you do, run the self test.

    And you must use the firmware from the version of MPLab you are using. If you use a newer or older version it may not work.
    #2
    vicoET
    New Member
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2019/09/06 06:56:01
    • Location: 0
    • Status: offline
    Re: ICD3 Failed to get Device ID since Monday 2019/09/17 05:36:21 (permalink)
    0
    hi NKuzman,
    >>> (the ICD3 self-test is PASS)
     self-test already performed: PASS
    I used the suggested FW Suite Version, 01.56.00  with MplabX v5.25 (flag: use latest version in configuration menu)
     
    #3
    ric
    Super Member
    • Total Posts : 23864
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2003/11/07 12:41:26
    • Location: Australia, Melbourne
    • Status: offline
    Re: ICD3 Failed to get Device ID since Monday 2019/09/17 05:42:52 (permalink)
    0
    Are you using the modular cable that came with the ICD?
    The connectors are liable to getting bent if you use different cables, so some of the pins don't contact reliably any more.
     

    I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    #4
    vicoET
    New Member
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2019/09/06 06:56:01
    • Location: 0
    • Status: offline
    Re: ICD3 Failed to get Device ID since Monday 2019/09/17 06:00:03 (permalink)
    0
    sorry for insisting but i worked with the same setup the last 2 weeks with no issues. And on 2 different boards.
    And the same setup is still working properly today on the PIC32MX based, not on the PIC32MZ anymore.
    I have 2 PIC32MZ boards, one of them brand-new and i tried with both (in case i've burned out one, but it's not the case).
    I don't think it's ICD3 issue or board issue.
     
    #5
    NorthGuy
    Super Member
    • Total Posts : 5673
    • Reward points : 0
    • Joined: 2014/02/23 14:23:23
    • Location: Northern Canada
    • Status: offline
    Re: ICD3 Failed to get Device ID since Monday 2019/09/17 06:45:38 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    If it is a bug, the only way to fix it is by opening a support ticket with Microchip. However, this is not very likely. A bug could not suddenly appear over the weekend.
     
    There's a possibility that both your MZ boards have gone bad, for example because of problems with your power supply which have developed over the weekend and killed both boards, or something of that sort. Unlike bugs, these kinds of things can happen unexpectedly.
     
    Unreliable cable is a possible cause too. A bad contact. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You test different scenarios, draw conclusions which get more and more puzzling, but in fact this is just random behaviour of the bad contact. Such things happen all the time.
     
    #6
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5