• AVR Freaks

Hot!Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3!

Author
_pA89
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
2019/09/10 03:18:40 (permalink)

Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3!

1. PROPER SOFTWARE TOOLS
Why not provide proper Software Tools to analyse the system - {Harmony v2, FreeRTOS} which would benefit v2 Users Maximally e.g.: {Traceylzer, Heap Checker, RTOS Viewer, Improving Inbuilt Simulator, ARM Development Studio-Streamline Analyser, ....} all in Primitive and native Phase…

post edited by _pA89 - 2019/09/10 03:20:23

9 Replies Related Threads

_pA89
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 03:22:40 (permalink)
    2. DOCUMENTATION
    Providing proper Schematics for existing Harmony System and additions, improving quality of code, Documentation
    _pA89
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 03:23:42 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    3. IDE IMPROVEMENT
    Improve the IDE (@ Visual Studio(Porting Option) -At least for People working in 2019 era) e.g. {Debugger too slow, Bugs,….}, GUI Interface for Harmony Configurator -Needs Lot Improvement E.g. Figurative Representation for All Peripherals – Instead of Just Clocks, ….
    _pA89
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 03:25:32 (permalink)
    4 (1)
    4. INTERNAL API – STANDARDIZATIONS:Taken From Andrews S Tanenubaum--- The Author Clearly Points out the Difficulties if drivers are all interfaced in different ways—But the Way Microchip , TI  Wrote Their Peripheral Libraries, MLATI-RTOSHarmony(also their Hardware Architectures) – all go anti/against this principle -- being incompatible with Each Other(No Standardization of Function Interfaces Across Industries)--Intellectual Time pass?

Attached Image(s)

_pA89
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 03:27:23 (permalink)
    It’s up time for Microcontroller Industry to do classification of Controllers similar to Taxonomy (biology) – More Scientific Way (Rather than Business Way) – Avoids Confusion and helps beginners to understand subject quickly …
    Another e.g. Agner-Fog – Stop Instruction Set War

…List is Endless… (@ForzaHorizon-4Perfection)

P.S.: Instead of How to Upgrade to v3(more upfront investment @ Penny Stocks) vs People already invested (existing Stocks) in v2 ----- Long Term Support {Ubuntu-LTS, Windows-10}?
    Paul PortSol
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 05:52:04 (permalink)
    5 (2)
    They wouldn't even start a separate forum for the drastically different Harmony 1/2/3 versions, they just lump it all together. Are such decisions even made by "technically aware" people?
    JPortici
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 06:11:40 (permalink)
    I disagree with you.
    I like harmony 3 way better than 1 or 2, because with 3 i can actually do some work.

for what i need, it's mostly unchanged from the past BUT i like very much that harmony 3 is distributed as a GIT repo because
    1) There is no single monolithic download/update, you can download only the modules you actually need, and more importantly updates are more frequent and focused on the specific module that require attention. I find this to be a big plus. The improvement that needs to be done on this point is that the downloader is STILL a very stupid piece of software probably written by a guy with no clue, as you can STILL download/update only one module at a time, it's SILL using mostly blocking code and you can't go on using MPLABX while you update, so i'm wasting at least one hour every time a big update comes out, nullyfing the advantages of a distributed download
    2) The fact that it's a git repo means that if you find a bug or have a suggestion with code,documentation you can interact with the team directly from github, without having to fight with the useless first level support.
    3) The documentation on github is updated and also way better than what is downloaded (which is basically the old documentation)
    4) I like the new configurator better
    5) Bugs get actually fixed in a timely manner, especially if you report them

That said, I would love too to see better documentation, how to guides that are commented and not just a "add this" or "add that", state diagrams, standardization of APIs. But that require the team to stop, plan things, decide a standard to follow and then rewrite everything.. Costly and time consuming :( Being able to suggest/send improvements is again a plus

New IDE, I actually like X better than each and every one of the eclipse based IDEs.
    I'm not sure i'd like to have a visual-studio based IDE. I don't know, maybe now that VS Code is actually useful (so it's multiplatform!)
    Sure, endless memory leaks and single thread operation for the IDE are infuriating, but that are actually Netbeans problems.. and netbeans is being basically redone from scratch by apache. I still can't get C to work with apache netbeans but it looked like it was performing better than the latest version.
    In the current publicly available roadmap there is no mention, but maybe in 5.50 or 6.0 they will use the new netbeans as a base...

Debuggers that are slow/unstable, not slower or less stable than most of those i've used so i can't complain either. (Well, i use an ICD 3 over a pickit of course)

The forum... I've been always saying they should have closed this place the day the changed the forum software and either open a new branch of the AVR forum (very nicely done) or just a PHPBB forum. ric's unofficial forum still gets too little love..
    post edited by JPortici - 2019/09/10 06:13:25
    Paul PortSol
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 06:31:52 (permalink)
    The Harmony3 quicker updates, comments, and direct contact to developers sounds great.
    I'm not upgrading now though, what I have is working.
    I'll wait till I see that Harmony3 supports the PICs I use, and the modules I use are all more stable than Harmony2 - it is just so much work to upgrade.
    DominusT
    • Total Posts : 1324
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 06:52:17 (permalink)
    I'm still waiting for version 2.07. I will wait at least 6 more months to migrate to H3.
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 17720
    Re: Improving v2 of Harmony instead of Jumping to v3! 2019/09/10 06:56:11 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    The Harmony Team is on their 3 byte of the Apple. It is what it is.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5