• AVR Freaks

Hot!MPLABX 5.25 Java problem in Linux installation

Author
betwixt
  • Total Posts : 264
  • Reward points : 0
2019/08/22 03:53:57 (permalink)

MPLABX 5.25 Java problem in Linux installation

No matter what I try, I can't get version 5.25 to install. I had no problem with earlier versions.
I get a Java error as in the screen shot. Clicking OK lets it resume but after apparently completing successfully, it then immediately goes into a repeat of the installation but only in text. Asking the same questions with [y/n] options. I accept the defaults, then it says I should uninstall v5.25 before installing it again. I even tried that! I gives me the Java error again and exits with code 1.  Has anyone else encountered this before I revert to the previous version?

Using Kubuntu 19.04 on a 3.4GHz i7 machine with 8Gb RAM so I don't think this is due to a hardware limitation. Although I can't use the IDE, installs of the latest versions if XC8 and XC16 seem to work from the command line.
Brian.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

1 Reply Related Threads

betwixt
    • Total Posts : 264
    • Reward points : 0
    Re: MPLABX 5.25 Java problem in Linux installation 2019/08/22 14:16:44 (permalink)
    This took some tracking down but I found the problem in the end. If anyone else has the same issue, this is what was wrong:
    During installation a file buried in the /opt/microchip/mplabcomm/v3.35.09 directory called
    MPLABCOMM-v3.35.09-linux-installer.run is executed. This in turn starts a java program that creates or reads a file in a hidden directory called /etc/.mplab_ide/mchplinusbdevice  which is actually a soft link to yet another file called
    /opt/microchip/mplabcomm/v3.35.09/lib/mchplinusbdevice.
    The problem was that soft link went to v3.33.03 instead and that had been deleted somehow, possibly during un-installation of a previous version. I removed the entire /etc/.mplab_ide directory and the installation then worked. Why this happened I have no idea but everything seems OK now. Screenshot explains all.
    Stiff drink needed.....
    Brian.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5