Hot!Can’t Bluetooth between laptop and RN4678 PICtail using Teraterm

Author
daatkins
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
2019/08/12 08:26:37 (permalink)

Can’t Bluetooth between laptop and RN4678 PICtail using Teraterm

Hi everyone,
I don’t get anything out the RN4678 when connected via Bluetooth to my laptop.

Here’s what I’ve done...
1, Connected to the module via Teraterm over USB and used the command mode to configure the baud rate to 38.4K, set device name to T4_BT etc. I’ve also disabled flow control using the SQ,0000 command. A reboot followed by reconnecting at the new baud and issuing a ‘d’ command shows the settings have been accepted. Reboot again.

2, I’ve paired to the module in Win7; the COM port tab in Bluetooth settings now shows three ports: COM168 is incoming with no name, COM169 is outgoing with name T4_BT ‘SerialPort’ and COM170 is incoming with name T4_BT.

3, I’ve done a right-click/Properties on the module in ‘Devices & Printers’ and set the baud rate of COM169 to match that of the module set in step 1.

4, I’ve then removed R11 and R12 from on the PICtail board (series resistors between RN4678 module and USB chip) and scoped the RxD and TXD lines at the module.

My plan was to link from my laptop to the module over Bluetooth using Teraterm, mash the keyboard and see data appear on the scope but COM168 and COM169 wouldn’t connect to Teraterm while COM170 does connect but nothing happens when I press the keys.

Interestingly, I do get data out the module when I connect using Blueterm+ on my phone. I’ve also noticed that the blue LED on PICtail double-flashes when connected to Blueterm+ but only single flashes when connected to my laptop.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
David.

2 Replies Related Threads

RodMcM
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Can’t Bluetooth between laptop and RN4678 PICtail using Teraterm 2019/08/12 21:48:07 (permalink)
    Have you tried an APP such as Bluetooth Terminal HC-05 on Android phone
    This handy app lets you connect and to any bluetooth item and comms two ways, not just HC-05
    Good testing method between device and teraterm on serial port

daatkins
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Can’t Bluetooth between laptop and RN4678 PICtail using Teraterm 2019/09/04 06:05:11 (permalink)
    Hi Rod,
    Thanks for your reply.

This issue has not really be resolved but it's somehow related to Windows7 and/or the internal Bluetooth module in my laptop - I have no problems when using an external Bluetooth dongle on a Windows 10 desktop (i.e. with no built-in Bluetooth), and that's good enough for me!

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5