• AVR Freaks

AnsweredHot!Is Harmony 2 Dead?

Author
Noggin
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points : 0
2019/07/31 06:28:35 (permalink)

Is Harmony 2 Dead?

Harmony v2 hasn't been updated in about 13 months now and new processors are out. Specifically, I have a board that has a PIC32MZ1025DAA176 that is NRND. The suggested replacement is PIC32MZ1025DAK176. Harmony 2.06 doesn't support the DAK. The only reason I use Harmony is to provide the Ethernet and USB stacks. Harmony 3 doesn't support the LAN9303 and wants to use FreeRTOS if I use the USB CDC driver. If Harmony 3 is anything like the earlier versions, I can probably get the LAN9303 working with only the addition of a driver file (but if it were that simple, why would support have been dropped?) and I haven't looked at USB at all yet. I'm just not keen on digging into it.

So, is Harmony 2 dead or can we expect updates to support the new processors? For the time being, I plan on continuing with the DAA. If I get forced into using the DAK, I believe I can just load the DAA code onto the DAK and it should still work. All register definitions are identical, flash addresses, etc. I've compiled my code with DAK as the target and was able to get it running on the DAA with only trivial changes to the source, so this suggests that the parts are binary file compatible.
NKurzman
A Guy on the Net
  • Total Posts : 17846
Re: Is Harmony 2 Dead? 2019/07/31 08:24:06 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Noggin 2019/07/31 08:28:20
There is supposed to be one more maintenance release of 2.07 ( If you read back in the Posts)  Then it is dead like 1.XX.
Noggin
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Is Harmony 2 Dead? 2019/07/31 08:29:16 (permalink)
Thanks, found that information in this post: https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1093219.aspx

I hope they add support for the DAK family. Considering how similar it is to the DAA, I would hope that it would be trivial.
lamdaelectronics
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: Is Harmony 2 Dead? 2019/07/31 09:06:00 (permalink)
They don't support the SPI Driver either!
Using HARMONY is like nightmare!
I want my Legacy Libraries BACK (and supporting the new μCs)!
That will be a little bit difficult since I have a 10 thousand of code lines that should be re-entered since there is no compatibility with Harmony and good old libraries (they don't have a Harmonious symbiosis)
MikeinAZ
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Is Harmony 2 Dead? 2019/07/31 09:36:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MHGC 2019/07/31 15:41:12
5 (2)
Sorry for the confusion, but over a long horizon a few things change.  I will try to update the other thread noted as well.

1) There will be a Harmony 2 update, but not for what you may think.  This will update some wireless drivers and functions that support that product line
2) No additional updates will be created in Harmony 2.0x to support additional micro controllers.  All new support is now in Harmony 3.
3) The ideals of Harmony 3 are to create a superset of functions from Harmony 2.x and from ASF.  There are elements of both that are a work in progress.  This of course will support both classic MIPS and more recent Cortex cores.
4) Harmony 2.06 is still available, and if you are happy with it you can continue to use it.  Additional data for the PIC32MZ DA support is being made available to clarify things like differences in the new devices.  Harmony 2 can support the newer devices if you account for the modest differences (include a few register writes).
5) Harmony 3 will support the older devices including PIC32 MZ DAK, DAA and DAB.
MikeinAZ
Administrator
Re: Is Harmony 2 Dead? 2019/07/31 09:54:05 (permalink)
I wanted to answer you specifically, since you have a bounded question.

We have added support for PIC32MZ DAK (and others) in Harmony 3.  You should be able to find that in the next release in terms of core and CSP support.  We have also been working separately to clear up some of the documentation of the differences in versions of the PIC32MZ DA.  

We will NOT be adding support of the newer DAR device family to Harmony v2.07.

I have also clarified our support plans in the other thread, for your reference.
NKurzman
A Guy on the Net
  • Total Posts : 17846
Re: Is Harmony 2 Dead? 2019/07/31 10:04:54 (permalink)
lamdaelectronics
They don't support the SPI Driver either!
Using HARMONY is like nightmare!
I want my Legacy Libraries BACK (and supporting the new μCs)!
That will be a little bit difficult since I have a 10 thousand of code lines that should be re-entered since there is no compatibility with Harmony and good old libraries (they don't have a Harmonious symbiosis)

My issue with Harmony is that is is not Compatible with Harmony. 
I learned 1.XX most of that knowledge is useless for 2.XX and can imagine worse for 3.XX
Old code is just old and would need to be ported to newer Harmonies. So It is like starting from scratch for future projects. 

But as for your Issue.  You can Create an empty project and use the Harmony PLIB libraries.  They are similar to the Old PLIB  ( My guess is they were the old PLIB imported in to Harmony). You can Use the Clock  or Pin configurator if you chose. This is good for V2.XX. 
I did not look at V3.XX.  With them starting with ARM and Atmel Peripherals then adding MIPS, who knows.

Mike The term "classic MIPS"  makes it sound like the MIPS line is dead. be careful with word choices.
MikeinAZ
Administrator
Re: Is Harmony 2 Dead? 2019/07/31 10:14:22 (permalink)
Noted about the use of terms, thank you.

Obviously we are adding new MIPS core devices, or we would not be talking about support differences.  These follow along the 'classic' product line "PIC32".  I will try to use the term (as we do internally) PIC32M going forward.

Cortex core devices are newer to our product line, and we are adding those as well.  Currently most of these devices are SAM devices.  This product line also has a number of other product families for specific markets.
LostInSpace
  • Total Posts : 266
Re: Is Harmony 2 Dead? 2019/08/07 16:29:08 (permalink)
>>>>I want my Legacy Libraries BACK (and supporting the new μCs)!

We all feel your pain - A chap did a good start on an open source project of porting the Classic PLIB's to the MZ Series. I used the Ports and DMA libraries of his and they dropped right in. He also has a TODO list that does a good job of documenting what he has tested and what isn't tested.

https://github.com/SbySpasov/PLIB_MZ

Hope this helps.

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5