• AVR Freaks

Hot!PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change.

Author
davegsm82
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
2019/07/19 02:24:05 (permalink)

PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change.

I asked the question a long time ago but no-one gave me any hint as to whether this would become a thing again. 
The PK2/3 standalone programming software was lightweight and excellent, worked well and had the most useful feature for anyone developing on actual hardware, that if the source .HEX file changed (i.e. from external software, not IDE) then it would autonomously reload the file, and push it down to the target device. 

I had hoped with 5.20 they would add this in, but nope. Still the same bloated, slow, crappy, difficult to use IPE that came before but with a bit of spit and polish in the menu's.

DEV's, PLEASE, PLEASE add this feature back in. I mean, if you DO change the source file, the IPE KNOWS!!! It even asks if you want to reload it?. Why not simply extend this to a click of the 'Program' button? Come on guys/girls, things are meant to get better, not worse as the go along.

7 Replies Related Threads

NorthGuy
    • Total Posts : 5536
    Re: PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change. 2019/07/19 05:35:00 (permalink)
    I don't think it would be a reliable feature. When the file gets changed, it doesn't happen momentarily. Thus the tool which updates the file may still be writing the file, while IP would be reading it. As a result, an incomplete (or even corrupt) file might be loaded.

There is a better approach. The tool you use to produce your HEX file most likely has an ability to execute an external program or script once it has finished compilation and produced the HEX file. You simply use this to call IPECMD (which is a command line version of IPE) which will automatically program your device. This eliminates the race condition.
    davegsm82
    Re: PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change. 2019/07/19 05:56:11 (permalink)
    They managed it with the PK2 and PK3 standalone programming software and realistically nothing has changed since then, pretty sure it's a feature they could reintroduce if they wanted to.

p.s. With the compiler that I use (Mikroe, Mikro-C) there is no way of running a command line after compilation, sadly.
    post edited by davegsm82 - 2019/07/19 06:01:50
    NorthGuy
    Re: PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change. 2019/07/19 06:43:45 (permalink)
    davegsm82
    p.s. With the compiler that I use (Mikroe, Mikro-C) there is no way of running a command line after compilation, sadly.

It might be reasonable to ask them to add this. It has been a standard feature on all the IDEs I've used since long time ago.

If you wish, you can do what you want on your own. Simply write a script which checks the file date every second (or few seconds) and runs IPECMD when the file date changes.

post edited by NorthGuy - 2019/07/19 06:45:07
    davegsm82
    Re: PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change. 2019/07/19 07:49:37 (permalink)
    You'll have to forgive my inexperience in this area, I've never written windows scripts like this before. I'm sure I couldn't find any CLI commands for the PK4 last time I looked either? Any tips where I may need to look?

Thank you for your comments, I'm sure we've discussed this subject before. 

Regards, Dave.
    davegsm82
    Re: PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change. 2019/07/19 07:49:37 (permalink)
    You'll have to forgive my inexperience in this area, I've never written windows scripts like this before. I'm sure I couldn't find any CLI commands for the PK4 last time I looked either? Any tips where I may need to look?

Thank you for your comments, I'm sure we've discussed this subject before. 

Regards, Dave.
    NorthGuy
    Re: PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change. 2019/07/19 08:27:41 (permalink)
    davegsm82
    I'm sure I couldn't find any CLI commands for the PK4 last time I looked either? Any tips where I may need to look?

IPECMD is a CLI tool installed with IPE, and I think it works with any of the Microchip programmers.
    davegsm82
    Re: PK4 / IPE - PLEASE add automatic download on source file change. 2019/07/22 13:40:33 (permalink)
    NorthGuy
    davegsm82
    I'm sure I couldn't find any CLI commands for the PK4 last time I looked either? Any tips where I may need to look?

IPECMD is a CLI tool installed with IPE, and I think it works with any of the Microchip programmers.

Just to report back, I've managed to program my target device just fine using IPECMD, would be nice if I could find a ready made front-end which will monitor for changes in the hex file I point it to and upload accordingly, but perhaps I'm asking for too much. A friend has suggested I use windows scripts to look for file changes in the .HEX then upload from there. I would however have to have a script for each device and each .hex file I want to upload. It would be really nice to have a front-end to do that for me, perhaps I can try and write something but its been a long time since I worked on anything for the PC. 

Thank you for your help.

Dave.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5