dsPIC33CK Curiosity Evaluation Board (DM330030) and Demo Programme

Author
johanneswalter.unger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
2019/07/12 12:30:45 (permalink)

dsPIC33CK Curiosity Evaluation Board (DM330030) and Demo Programme

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, microchip MCUs and the MPLAB X IDE, so welcome to everybody and exuse if my questions are very beginner level!
I have bought the dsPIC33CK Curiosity Evaluation Board (DM330030) last week and installed the toolchain to programme the board (MPLAB X IDE, XC16, MCC). I also downloaded the dsPIC33CK_Curiosity_Demo_v1_06_50.zip (available from https://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails/PartNO/DM330030#additional-summary).
Unforunately, I have some issues with the setup (as it seems).

Question 1:
The evaluation board includes a USB-UART interface, which works perfectly fine, if I use MPLAB X IDE to compile and upload the code to the MCU.
The issue is that the libraries such as stdint.h, stdio.h, etc. are not recognized by the software, but the compiler has no issue to successfully compile the code. (see picture attached)
Is this a known issue of the IDE or did I make a mistake during installation?

Question 2:
The demo program is uploaded and includes a printf() line, to print some text to the terminal, if a button is pressed.
When I try to connect with Putty to the development board, I can not see any understandable text. (see picture attached)
I have read in the forum that the printf() command is redirected to UART, which should be connected to the USB interface that is used. Unfortunately, any other charater settings etc. did not help to read text in the putty terminal window.
Did I understand the Demo code correctly that printf() is used to output the pressed button information?
How do I connect correctly to the development board to read the printf() outputs from the code?

I hope someone here can help me! Very much appreciated.

Regards,
Johannes

Attached Image(s)

5 Replies Related Threads

johanneswalter.unger
    Re: dsPIC33CK Curiosity Evaluation Board (DM330030) and Demo Programme 2019/07/19 00:20:56 (permalink)
    Hi all,

Meanwhile I could figure out the second question:
    A reinstallation of Putty and using 38400 Baud Speed, have solved the problem.

The recognition of include files is still not clear to understand. Sometimes it works for some of the lines, but sometimes it doesn't. Is there any hint to solve this?

I started with a new stand alone project and use the MPLAB Code Configurator (MCC, latest version) for my projecdt.
    The digital input pins (reading the development board buttons) works fine. I am able to read the digital input pins.
    I have issues with the analog input (ADC), which does not show any value in the terminal output.
    • MCC -> add ADC
      • Enable ADC
      • Conversion Clock Source FOSC/2
      • Target Shared core sampling time: 250 ns
      • Enable AN23 (RE3), no trigger, no interrupt (standard values)
    • In pin manager mark Port E3 (see picture)
    • Main.c: trying to see value with function "ADC1_SharedChannelAN23ConversionResultGet()".
    Did I miss any configuration step, why I do not see any output?
    Is there a tutorial for this MCU and the curiosity board available how to achieve the analog in to be shown with printf()?

Regards,
    Johannes

post edited by johanneswalter.unger - 2019/07/19 00:22:39

Attached Image(s)

katela
    • Total Posts : 1317
    Re: dsPIC33CK Curiosity Evaluation Board (DM330030) and Demo Programme 2019/07/19 02:49:54 (permalink)
    If your code compiles with no errors, it could be the IDE problem, you can just ignore it. It's a long standing issues.

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
    YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
    johanneswalter.unger
    Re: dsPIC33CK Curiosity Evaluation Board (DM330030) and Demo Programme 2019/07/19 02:52:55 (permalink)
    Ok thanks for the answer.
    Do you also know about the ADC configuration?

katela
    • Total Posts : 1317
    Re: dsPIC33CK Curiosity Evaluation Board (DM330030) and Demo Programme 2019/07/19 02:57:59 (permalink)
    Can you post your main code to see how you are reading and printing?

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
    YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
    johanneswalter.unger
    Re: dsPIC33CK Curiosity Evaluation Board (DM330030) and Demo Programme 2019/07/19 03:10:34 (permalink)
    I have used the demo program, where everything works fine, to be used with a stand alone project and MCC configuration.

The main.c is attached.

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5