I have just encountered the same problem on a machine that never had this problem but suddenly started yesterday. Im pleased I found this thread, but would be helpful if there was any instruction as to how "deleting the IDE caches has cleared the issue".
Ive tried : "Delete the MPLAB X
Persistence and Cache
directories on your machine Go to MPLAB X IDE
>> Help >> About, and note down the Persistence and Cache
Directory paths. Close the IDE
; access the directories and delete the contents. Restart the IDE
without importing previous settings" - but this didnt work.
This is happening on several target hardware with different processors, the environment has been stable for weeks, no changes made, this issue just suddenly started happening. Still occurs with PICKIT3, PICKIT4, UsbStarterKit.
MPLAB X 5.20, dsPIC33EV128GM104 and dspIC33EP512MU810, Win8.1.
Ive tried : Removing MPLAB X software. Re-installing it 5.20. - but this didnt work, but I noticed that the metadata must have been preserved since it remembered all my settings. hmmmm....
Also tried: "www microchipdeveloper com/mplabx:persistence-data"
"To "reset" MPLAB X to its default state, simply delete all the files inside the version
directory (where version
is something like "1.80"). However, if for some reason you want to go back to the "troubled" state, just save the contents of the version
directory somewhere else. Putting them back into version
later will restore the settings that were saved in those files."
This Worked! (although all settings are now removed, so going through the pain of setting up the IDE again).
post edited by anth - 2020/05/26 00:38:29