• AVR Freaks

Hot!24F08KL302 LPRC running at MUCH lower freq than nominal 31kHz

Author
ReverseEMF
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
2019/07/04 12:04:20 (permalink)

24F08KL302 LPRC running at MUCH lower freq than nominal 31kHz

I'm using the Watchdog timer to periodically wake from sleep, and flash a "heartbeat" LED -- whereupon it goes back to sleep for an intended period of around 2100mS ...
  • FWPSA set to 1:128
  • WDTPS set to 1:512
i.e. FWDT = 0x00F9

In other words: (128*512)/31kHz = ~2 seconds

I'm seeing 3.6 to 5 seconds!  Which suggests the LPRC is running at around:
  • 18kHz  [3600ms/128/512 ≈ 55µS]
  • 13kHz  [5000ms/128/512 ≈ 76µS]

I have three identical PCBs, using this MCU, and two of them exhibit this ~5S sleep/wake cycle.  The other cycles at around 3.6S.

Table 26-23 [in the PIC24F16KL402 Family Datasheet -- DS30001037C] states the following:
SY20 [TWDT] for 1:128 prescaler: 3.4ms Min -- 4.0ms Typ -- 4.6ms Max

5 seconds / 512 = 9.8ms
3.6 seconds / 512 = 7.0ms

Is my math wrong?
Has anyone else seen this?

FYI: the Date Code on all three of these PICs is: 1850579

post edited by ReverseEMF - 2019/07/04 15:11:45

The Electrons Flow Round and Round...

2 Replies Related Threads

davekw7x
    Entropy++
    • Total Posts : 1791
    Re: 24F08KL302 LPRC running at MUCH lower freq than nominal 31kHz 2019/07/04 20:04:11 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    BlindedByDaLight
    Is my math wrong?

Nothing wrong with your math.  I dug up a PIC24F16KL402 (that I had evaluated some time ago but never used in a project) and plugged it into my breadboard.  With your WDT settings I got a timeout of 1.92 seconds, which is about 91% of the nominal 2.11 seconds predicted by your math and WDT settings.

A couple of comments:
    • I have never used a WDT as a "precise" timer.  I have used a WDT to try to recover after some "glitch" (peripheral hardware failure; transient electrical problem; cosmic ray; etc.) Exact timing was not an issue.
    • For test purposes I can't think of a single reason to run a 16-bit PIC with a master clock of 31 kHz.  I usually run at full speed (32 MHz for this chip), but for testing and evaluation I sometimes use the fastest speed that I can get from configuration pragmas without having to write to registers. (But see Footnote.)
    Anyhow...
    Here's my test program. Note that I put what I think is pretty much an absolute minimum amount of code so that the timing measurement wouldn't be confused by user initialization code or other user code.

// PIC24F16LK402 WDT timing test program
    // Clock 16 MHz:
    //  FRC (with default RCDIV) + PLL

// Connections
    //  PIC24F16KL402 28-pin DIP
    //       LED2 is RB1 (Pin 5 of the DIP28)

// PIC24F16KL402 Configuration Bit Settings
    // FBS
    #pragma config BWRP = OFF               // Boot Segment Write Protect (Disabled)
    #pragma config BSS = OFF                // Boot segment Protect (No boot flash segment)

// FGS
    #pragma config GWRP = OFF               // General Segment Flash Write Protect (General segment may be written)
    #pragma config GSS0 = OFF               // General Segment Code Protect (No Protection)

// FOSCSEL
    #pragma config FNOSC = FRCPLL           // Oscillator Select (Fast RC Oscillator with Postscaler and PLL (FRCDIV+PLL))
    #pragma config SOSCSRC = ANA            // SOSC Source Type (Analog Mode for use with crystal)
    #pragma config LPRCSEL = HP             // LPRC Power and Accuracy (High Power/High Accuracy)
    #pragma config IESO = ON                // Internal External Switch Over bit (Internal External Switchover mode enabled (Two-speed Start-up enabled))

// FOSC
    #pragma config POSCMD = NONE            // Primary Oscillator Mode (Primary oscillator disabled)
    #pragma config OSCIOFNC = ON            // CLKO Pin I/O Function (Port I/O enabled (CLKO disabled))
    #pragma config POSCFREQ = HS            // Primary Oscillator Frequency Range (Primary Oscillator/External Clock frequency >8MHz)
    #pragma config SOSCSEL = SOSCHP         // SOSC Power Selection Configuration bits (Secondary Oscillator configured for high-power operation)
    #pragma config FCKSM = CSECME           // Clock Switching and Monitor Selection (Clock Switching and Fail-safe Clock Monitor Enabled)

// FWDT
    #pragma config WDTPS = PS512            // Watchdog Timer Postscale Select bits (1:512)
    #pragma config FWPSA = PR128            // WDT Prescaler bit (WDT prescaler ratio of 1:128)
    #pragma config FWDTEN = ON              // Watchdog Timer Enable bits (WDT enabled in hardware)
    #pragma config WINDIS = OFF             // Windowed Watchdog Timer Disable bit (Standard WDT selected (windowed WDT disabled))

// FPOR
    #pragma config BOREN = BOR3             // Brown-out Reset Enable bits (Enabled in hardware; SBOREN bit disabled)
    #pragma config PWRTEN = ON              // Power-up Timer Enable (PWRT enabled)
    #pragma config I2C1SEL = PRI            // Alternate I2C1 Pin Mapping bit (Default SCL1/SDA1 Pins for I2C1)
    #pragma config BORV = V18               // Brown-out Reset Voltage bits (Brown-out Reset at 1.8V)
    #pragma config MCLRE = ON               // MCLR Pin Enable bit (RA5 input disabled; MCLR enabled)

// FICD
    #pragma config ICS = PGx1               // ICD Pin Placement Select (EMUC/EMUD share PGC1/PGD1)

#include <xc.h>

// LEDS: LED1 is RB1 (Pin 5 of the DIP28)

#define LED1_TRIS TRISBbits.TRISB1
    #define LED1 LATBbits.LATB1

// FRCPLL with default RCDIV of 1:2 gives system clock = 16 MHz
    #define FCY   8000000UL
    #include <libpic30.h>

int main()
    {
        LED1 = 0;
        LED1_TRIS = 0;
        __delay_ms(100);

ClrWdt();
        LED1 = 1;
        Sleep();
        // XC16 generates return to a break;reset sequence
        // or you could have the following
        //asm(" reset");
        return -1;
    } // End of main()

Result: LED periodic output was On for 1.92 seconds and Off for 100 milliseconds.

Regards,

Dave

Footnote:
    I changed the system clock to be LPRC as you had it.  Results were about the same: Still got 1.92 second WDT timeout.
    post edited by davekw7x - 2019/07/04 20:09:24

Sometimes I just can't help myself...
    ReverseEMF
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: 24F08KL302 LPRC running at MUCH lower freq than nominal 31kHz 2019/07/05 07:10:43 (permalink)
    davekw7x

A couple of comments:
    • I have never used a WDT as a "precise" timer.  I have used a WDT to try to recover after some "glitch" (peripheral hardware failure; transient electrical problem; cosmic ray; etc.) Exact timing was not an issue.
    • For test purposes I can't think of a single reason to run a 16-bit PIC with a master clock of 31 kHz.  I usually run at full speed (32 MHz for this chip), but for testing and evaluation I sometimes use the fastest speed that I can get from configuration pragmas without having to write to registers. (But see Footnote.)

Thank you for the comprehensive response, and confirmation of behavior consistent with the documentation.  Very helpful!

Regarding your comments:
    • I'm using the WDT to do a periodic "wake from sleep" that is not intended to be anymore precise than the specified ±15%.  But, I was seeing an apparent 146% variance [which, based on your data, suggests I'm doing something wrong].
    • Nope, not running the MCU at 31kHz, just the WDT.  The primary Clock of the MCU is running off an 8Mhz crystal.
    post edited by ReverseEMF - 2019/07/05 07:12:14

The Electrons Flow Round and Round...
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5