• AVR Freaks

Hot!AVR Assembler with MPLAB X Ide

Author
Strontium
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
2019/06/19 04:30:35 (permalink)

AVR Assembler with MPLAB X Ide

I am starting to write an assembly program for ATTINY416.  And have a few issues.

1. How do i change the extension to .S from .s?
        .s is the convention for assembler source WITHOUT C Preprocessing, but I am using C preprocessing.  The IDE is calling GCC with the flags to enable Preprocessing, BUT if I ask the compiler to save temporary files, there is a conflict, because the compiler wants to generate a .s file as preprocessed source.  And I would like to see that.

2. It seems the Project Properties "Additional options" doesn't do anything. 
        If I place -save-temps in there for assembler source, either kind then that option is not passed to the compiler.  The ONLY way i have found to do it, is to manually add options to the Makefile "MP_EXTRA_AS_PRE"

3. Is there a way to generate a listing, and have it take the name of the assembler file?
        I CAN generate a listing by adding "MP_EXTRA_AS_PRE=-Wa,-adhln=test.lst" to the Makefile, BUT i don't want the listing to be called "test.lst" I want it to be called myfile.lst where "myfile" is the name of each assembly file in my project.  Whats the way to achieve this?

1 Reply Related Threads

Strontium
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Reward points : 0
    Re: AVR Assembler with MPLAB X Ide 2019/06/19 16:43:19 (permalink)
    I am going to partly answer my own questions:

1. Rename to .S
         I had to manually rename from the command line, and then adjust the project configuration to match.  This gave me strange errors, like it was still looking for a .s file.  So, from the command line i did a make clean and then make built the newly renamed file.  Since that the IDE has also behaved.  Not sure if this is EVERYTHING i did, because i fiddled a lot before it started working.

2. Still don't know.  The Extra Options dialog entries seem broken.

3. MP_EXTRA_AS_PRE=-Wa,-adhln=$*.lst -save-temps=obj
    This will cause GCC to save its temporaries and generate a .lst file in the build directory.  The catch is the listing file will ONLY work if you run make from the command line.  Running make in the IDE generates a ".lst" file (yes, no name just the extension) in the root directory of the project.  Which is kinda useless.  Not sure WHY the IDE and command line invocations of MAKE differ.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5