• AVR Freaks

Hot!WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation

Author
gerrysweeney
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
2019/06/09 12:11:20 (permalink)

WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation

I have just installed MPLAB-X and XC-32 compiler. I am trying to install Harmony 3.0 but the documentation is basically useless and I am going around in circles. 

Can anyone give a simple set of steps here?  

I have installed the Harmony Configurator Plugin, but if I try to create a project it is looking for the paths, I have no idea where the paths are supposed to be.  

I can only find a Harmony 2.x installer, the Harmony 3.x web page provides no download links. 

So frustrating...any help much appreciated. 

Gerry

10 Replies Related Threads

NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 18655
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/09 12:20:50 (permalink)
    You most likely need the MHC from the install folder. The version of MHC must be compatible with the version of Harmony you are using.
    So from MPLabX you need to go to the plug in manager. Check the versions on MHC. If the major and minor version or not identical, then delete it.
    You then need to do a manual install of the version that’s in the harmony directory in the MHC folder.
    gerrysweeney
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/09 12:35:53 (permalink)
    NKurzman 
    Thanks for your response, the problem I have is a bit more basic than that.  I have installed everything afresh, I am looking for Harmony v3.0 but it seems the only download I can find on the Microchip web site is for v2.0.6, all I am looking for is the v3.0 Harmony installation - which Microchip seems to be claiming exists but not providing any download. 
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 18655
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/09 13:15:05 (permalink)
    3.0 is in Beta plus there appears to be two of them. One on the web site, and another on Git Hub. I have not been following the details.
    BillP
    • Total Posts : 386
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/10 07:34:32 (permalink)
    Yes, the documentation is horrible and confusing. 

Harmony v3 is downloaded from the MPLAB X using the Hv3 downloader program.
    Go to https://www.microchip.com...rmony/mplab-harmony-v3 for the 4-step instructions on how to download and install the MPLAB Harmony v3 software. 
    MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/10 14:39:43 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Hello,

It seems we have some tied in a knot here, so let me see if I can help.

First, Harmony 3 does not have a download per se, at least in the Harmony 2 sense.  Instead it has a clone that is made from Github.  To help you along, we added a utility to do this for you in MPLAB X plugin.  The framework downloader is now part of MHC, and is a plugin to the environment.  You can find the Harmony 3 MHC tools in recent versions of MPLAB X.

Second, you do not actually ever have to go to Github, unless you want to.  While the framework repos of your choice (they are all separate now) will be cloned via the installer, this is relatively seamless to you.  You can upload and check version numbers from the MPLAB X environment.

There is a guide to all of this, which you should find here.  The guide will help you through the install of MHC, clone of the framework, and your first project or an outline of one.  There are also several "getting started guides" in the Wiki on github if you want to follow that path.  Once you have downloaded, each repo has its own documentation that will walk you through libraries, application examples and some architecture items.

We are always looking to make this better.  If you have specific questions or suggestions, please do let us know.  Sorry about your confusion so far.
    realexander
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2020/05/17 15:13:54 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    MikeinAZ
    We are always looking to make this better.  If you have specific questions or suggestions, please do let us know.  Sorry about your confusion so far.

Is there any searchable documentation? Or even an index? The GitHub page you linked to doesn't seem to have links to individual repo docs, so it's sort of a dead end. With Harmony 2, there was a reference manual with all the API calls. I can't find anything comparable with H3.

- Bob

MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2020/05/18 08:17:09 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,

There are 2 places to get this kind of documentation, that has each function down to the API level.

1. You can look at the supplied documentation that is included for each repository when you download Harmony.  This is in *.chm and *.pdf formats so it is searchable in either case.  This is very much in the classic format of Harmony 2, except that it is broken out in each repo and not in a single giant source.  You can find this in the attached image (using core repo as my example).

2. You can find the same help information as an online resource that using HTML.  This may be useful if you have not yet downloaded Harmony onto your computer, or if you want to see the content using a browser.    Again using core as the example, if you look at readme.md (which is displayed when you observe the top level of a repository on GitHub) you can see the link for this.  All repos have the same format.  See the attached image.

Hope this helps.

Attached Image(s)

realexander
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2020/05/18 08:35:51 (permalink)
    5 (2)
    I'm sorry to say that it does not help. 

My question was "Is there any searchable documentation? Or even an index?" The answer appears to be no. I can understand that MCHP wants to maintain documentation for each module independently. But to have no way to search? To have no, single page that has links to all the modules' documentation (or links to all the modules' code, for that matter)? I'm stunned, I'm really stunned.

For example, look at the home page of the wiki, https://github.com/Microchip-MPLAB-Harmony/Microchip-MPLAB-Harmony.github.io/wiki. Where would I go from there? There's no link to the modules, no link to the reference manual, no way to even see what modules exist, and no search mechanism. The home page of the wiki is a dead end! That's not what I thought a wiki was supposed to be.

I hope this is because they're still working on the help system, rather than that they think this is finished.

And BTW, I'm not one of the anti-Harmony crowd. I've been using it since version 1 in multiple projects.
    BillP
    • Total Posts : 386
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2020/05/19 09:51:01 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I agree with @realexander (and I, too, am not part of any anti-Harmony crowd).  I have posted an example (I called it an "experiment") to show how the documentation does or does not help during development.  https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1140502
    realexander
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2020/05/19 09:53:47 (permalink)
    BillP
    I have posted an example (I called it an "experiment") to show how the documentation does or does not help during development.  https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1140502

That link should be https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1140502.aspx

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5