• AVR Freaks

Hot!WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation

Author
gerrysweeney
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
2019/06/09 12:11:20 (permalink)

WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation

I have just installed MPLAB-X and XC-32 compiler. I am trying to install Harmony 3.0 but the documentation is basically useless and I am going around in circles. 

Can anyone give a simple set of steps here?  

I have installed the Harmony Configurator Plugin, but if I try to create a project it is looking for the paths, I have no idea where the paths are supposed to be.  

I can only find a Harmony 2.x installer, the Harmony 3.x web page provides no download links. 

So frustrating...any help much appreciated. 

Gerry

5 Replies Related Threads

NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 17361
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/09 12:20:50 (permalink)
    You most likely need the MHC from the install folder. The version of MHC must be compatible with the version of Harmony you are using.
    So from MPLabX you need to go to the plug in manager. Check the versions on MHC. If the major and minor version or not identical, then delete it.
    You then need to do a manual install of the version that’s in the harmony directory in the MHC folder.
    gerrysweeney
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/09 12:35:53 (permalink)
    NKurzman 
    Thanks for your response, the problem I have is a bit more basic than that.  I have installed everything afresh, I am looking for Harmony v3.0 but it seems the only download I can find on the Microchip web site is for v2.0.6, all I am looking for is the v3.0 Harmony installation - which Microchip seems to be claiming exists but not providing any download. 
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 17361
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/09 13:15:05 (permalink)
    3.0 is in Beta plus there appears to be two of them. One on the web site, and another on Git Hub. I have not been following the details.
    BillP
    • Total Posts : 311
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/10 07:34:32 (permalink)
    Yes, the documentation is horrible and confusing. 

Harmony v3 is downloaded from the MPLAB X using the Hv3 downloader program.
    Go to https://www.microchip.com...rmony/mplab-harmony-v3 for the 4-step instructions on how to download and install the MPLAB Harmony v3 software. 
    MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 311
    Re: WTH is wrong with the Harmony Documentation 2019/06/10 14:39:43 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Hello,

It seems we have some tied in a knot here, so let me see if I can help.

First, Harmony 3 does not have a download per se, at least in the Harmony 2 sense.  Instead it has a clone that is made from Github.  To help you along, we added a utility to do this for you in MPLAB X plugin.  The framework downloader is now part of MHC, and is a plugin to the environment.  You can find the Harmony 3 MHC tools in recent versions of MPLAB X.

Second, you do not actually ever have to go to Github, unless you want to.  While the framework repos of your choice (they are all separate now) will be cloned via the installer, this is relatively seamless to you.  You can upload and check version numbers from the MPLAB X environment.

There is a guide to all of this, which you should find here.  The guide will help you through the install of MHC, clone of the framework, and your first project or an outline of one.  There are also several "getting started guides" in the Wiki on github if you want to follow that path.  Once you have downloaded, each repo has its own documentation that will walk you through libraries, application examples and some architecture items.

We are always looking to make this better.  If you have specific questions or suggestions, please do let us know.  Sorry about your confusion so far.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5