Hot!PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails

Author
Seanstevens
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
2019/05/16 06:51:08 (permalink)

PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails

Hi,

I can no longer change chip or firmware via MPLABxx or IPExx. This happened a couple of weeks ago. I know PICKIT3 is functioning 'properly' as I can change chip when I connect it to another PC with MPLAB/IPE so it seems to be PC based but what I am not sure. I have the previous versions of MPLAB but none are able to update firmware/change chip, doesnt matter which chip either.
I am guessing maybe the route to internet for PICKIT3 is cut off maybe but cant see where. Below what I get in return.

Connecting to MPLAB PICkit 3...

Currently loaded firmware on PICkit 3
Firmware Suite Version.....01.54.00 *
Firmware type..............PIC18F

Now Downloading new Firmware for target device: PIC18F45K20
Downloading bootloader
Failed to download firmware
Connection Failed.

12 Replies Related Threads

Seanstevens
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/16 07:00:44 (permalink)
    Forgot to say uninstalling a version and reinstalling it or next version up doesnt help either.
    Les
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/17 02:12:48 (permalink)
    For me similar errors ( MPLABX  and PK3 ) like this have happened 'forever' (10 years perhaps )  some times it errors 'connection failed' other times just hangs,  I find just keep trying .. either un-plug usb. " refresh debug tool status "   or "Debug project" eventually gets it working, a last resort is to try MPLAB 8.x IDE . Connecting to the standalone PK3 sw is like killing it for X .. My 3 PK3's have Firmware Suite Version  01.55,01 , but probably not significant
    post edited by Les - 2019/05/17 05:12:33
    Seanstevens
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/17 05:43:29 (permalink)
    Les,
    Thanks for that. I have had the usual PK3 issues for about 9 years but as you say they are generally fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting, closing IDE, rebooting, moving to a new house etc. but this issue is not getting fixed on my work PC so I cannot change firmware, have to give it to someone else to switch it and its getting irritating.
    But none of the previous version including 8 can change the firmware.
    I think some kind of link in the core of IDE or Windows 7 connection to IDE is messed up...

Les are you the famous Proton Les?

NorthGuy
    • Total Posts : 5430
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/17 06:14:19 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Seanstevens
    ... fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting, closing IDE, rebooting, moving to a new house etc. but this issue is not getting fixed on my work PC so I cannot change firmware, have to give it to someone else to switch it and its getting irritating.

I had the same problem couple years ago with MPLAB X. Since I don't use PICkit3 any more I cannot tell if it still persists. There was some sort of firmware update problem - PICkit3 updates firmware in pieces and then hangs after each piece. Therefore, instead of connecting/reconnecting etc., just try programming several times in a row. Each time it'll move forward one step, then hangs. Wait it out, and do it again. It takes 4-5 times, then it starts working. If you change the PIC, you'll have to do it many times again to get to the fully updated firmware for your new PIC.
    Seanstevens
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/17 07:26:59 (permalink)
    NorthGuy,
    This has been working OK for many years with a number of PCs & IDEs given that it has the odd fiddling issues but it has always changed firmware on the first try so I would say given the usual issues it has been working well. Suddenly last month it decided to go i.e. not update firmware on change of chip.
    To start with I am not a programmer, I am OK-ish programming and general use of IDE and debugging, I am an electronics engineer so I dont touch the settings of the IDE or the tool chain as I dont know where it puts stuff and generally if its not broken dont touch it!
    Logically the PK3 is functioning OK, its my PC or IDE or the connection from the IDE to the internet via Windows 7 - It detects PK3 every time with its serial number but just cant update and it is very quick generally about 5-10 seconds before it throws out the error. Is it possible a Windows update has messed up something?
    This also coincides with another PK3 at home changes firmware ok but stopped debugging, it starts and stops on the first break point and when you step it it it stops the debugging process. Uninstalling and reinstalling the version that has this problem doesnt fix it so the solution was to step one version back and now it debugs ok - the Windows on that PC is Win10 and I have a feeling the issue popped up just after an update.

Joys of Windows & IDE update!

NorthGuy
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/17 08:41:23 (permalink)
    Seanstevens
    It detects PK3 every time with its serial number but just cant update and it is very quick generally about 5-10 seconds before it throws out the error.

Like I said, try repeating this 4-5 times in a row. This way it'll complete the updates. It worked well for me. Of course no guarantee that it cures yours, but it's worth trying.

Seanstevens
    This also coincides with another PK3 at home changes firmware ok but stopped debugging, it starts and stops on the first break point and when you step it it it stops the debugging process.

IMHO, this is most likely unrelated to the first problem.

Les
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/17 08:49:06 (permalink)
    Sean... Proton Les? don't think so .. I gave up on windows and now a linux.mint19.1 fan boy , X runs ok and fast, some bugs but seems we have to accept that ! changing device is a real job, that's why i have 3 PK3 .. read somewher about holding the button while powering up  forces a FW reload , never dared to try it ! . Have you tried the stand alone PK3 software , there is a MPLAB operation flag could be set .. its like an old friend now the device change errors :)
    NorthGuy
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/17 09:19:42 (permalink)
    LESAT67
    changing device is a real job, that's why i have 3 PK3 ..

I did the same thing! I had several PICkit3s, each for its own device group, plus one PICkit3 for the "other" groups not covered by one of the dedicated PICkit3.
    Seanstevens
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/18 04:02:10 (permalink)
    Thank you Northguy but I have tried all sorts 10s of times and its still doesnt work.

Les.... Les the creator of Proton Basic Compiler, obviously not. Yeah Linux, its the learning curve...
    I have used the PK3 button many times. Some times when PK3 is disconnected in the middle of update it can get confused and its serial number doesnt come up - disconnecting it for a few seconds and back on again whilst holding the button brings the serial number back - I read it puts it in to firmware/boot.

Thank you for all your input.

Les
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/18 06:02:00 (permalink)
    I had concerns re linux but it has changed completely from the old command line driven OS it was, still a bit geeky but wow a world of difference from the win10 offering... If i can do it , anybody can. download an image to a dvd / usb and try no need to actually install.  
    newfound
    • Total Posts : 1821
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/20 02:10:27 (permalink)
    NorthGuy
    Seanstevens
    ... fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting, closing IDE, rebooting, moving to a new house etc. but this issue is not getting fixed on my work PC so I cannot change firmware, have to give it to someone else to switch it and its getting irritating.

I had the same problem couple years ago with MPLAB X. Since I don't use PICkit3 any more I cannot tell if it still persists. There was some sort of firmware update problem - PICkit3 updates firmware in pieces and then hangs after each piece. Therefore, instead of connecting/reconnecting etc., just try programming several times in a row. Each time it'll move forward one step, then hangs. Wait it out, and do it again. It takes 4-5 times, then it starts working. If you change the PIC, you'll have to do it many times again to get to the fully updated firmware for your new PIC.

_Exactly_ mirrors my experience with the PK3 to this day. 
    Seanstevens
    Re: PICKIT3 changing chip/firmware fails 2019/05/20 13:30:28 (permalink)
    LESAT67
    I had concerns re linux but it has changed completely from the old command line driven OS it was, still a bit geeky but wow a world of difference from the win10 offering... If i can do it , anybody can. download an image to a dvd / usb and try no need to actually install.  

Les, have tried a couple of times to have a go at Linux, but never continued.. Using apps is easy enough but I mess around with a lot of software and get in to Windows but dont know my way around linux.

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5