Helpful ReplyHot!MPLABX V5.20 Issues

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JPortici
  • Total Posts : 706
  • Reward points : 0
2019/05/16 02:55:40 (permalink)

MPLABX V5.20 Issues

I'm using windows 7 Pro 64bit, updating from 5.15 (which was a fresh installation without importing old settings).

IPE (didn't import settings from previous version):
-Open the Application, the window size is still screwed up, do something and the new tab will open anywhere with no apparent logic: some times in a new space, sometimes as a tab in output space, sometimes as a tab in controls space. This has been going on since the IPE went to the unfixed layout

IDE (imported opened project list from previous version)
-All projects use outdated device packs that were not installed with the IDE. Fair enough, i click on the link on the configuration error window. Download and install the pack from the project properties. Also, i get the bug below
-If you close the project properties by clicking "Ok" "Cancel" or "X" or hitting the "Escape" key the project properties will reload. You have to try several times. I have lost count so i just hit Escape for a couple of seconds
-I can't use the new device packs in old projects: In the project properties the new pack is grayed out, the old pack is unsupported, yet the project compiles just fine (tried with PIC18F26K42)
-Even if i downloaded the old device pack and applied it to the project, if i close and reopen the IDE i still get the same configuration error issue. Also the older pack i just downloaded isn't there anymore and i have to re-do everything

Haven't tried actually using the IDE, this was annoying enough. Anybody else getting this? Time for 5.21?
Bryan M. W. Samosir
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 03:52:10 (permalink)
-2 (2)
Jack_M
I'm using windows 7 Pro 64bit, updating from 5.15 (which was a fresh installation without importing old settings).

IPE (didn't import settings from previous version):
-Open the Application, the window size is still screwed up, do something and the new tab will open anywhere with no apparent logic: some times in a new space, sometimes as a tab in output space, sometimes as a tab in controls space. This has been going on since the IPE went to the unfixed layout

-All projects use outdated device packs that were not installed with the IDE. Fair enough, i click on the link on the configuration error window. Download and install the pack from the project properties. Also, i get the bug below
-If you close the project properties by clicking "Ok" "Cancel" or "X" or hitting the "Escape" key the project properties will reload. You have to try several times. I have lost count so i just hit Escape for a couple of seconds
-I can't use the new device packs in old projects: In the project properties the new pack is grayed out, the old pack is unsupported, yet the project compiles just fine (tried with PIC18F26K42)
-Even if i downloaded the old device pack and applied it to the project, if i close and reopen the IDE i still get the same configuration error issue. Also the older pack i just downloaded isn't there anymore and i have to re-do everything

Haven't tried actually using the IDE, this was annoying enough. Anybody else getting this? Time for 5.21?

i notice worse than yours. I have tried PIC16F877A with PICKit3 debugger but MPLAB X IDE can't include any library. I have installed XC8 v1.0, v1.40, and v2.05 but the IDE responds nothing for this case. I'm using Win 10 Pro 64 bit & Intel Core i5 7th gen.
JPortici
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 04:38:59 (permalink)
+1 (1)
MPLAB X IDE can't include any library

i don't understand what you mean.
qhb
Superb Member
  • Total Posts : 9998
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 04:46:26 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Jack_M

He's posted the same question into three different topics that he thinks are related to his problem, rather than starting his own topic and properly explaining his own problem.
See: https://www.microchip.com/forums/FindPost/1098265

Nearly there...
JPortici
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 05:09:03 (permalink)
Yes, i noticed. Man, how i hate this.
picy2620
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 08:52:04 (permalink)
I have the same issue: (imported old project settings)
Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

picy2620

Attachment(s)

Bryan M. W. Samosir
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 10:05:30 (permalink)
Jack_M

The IDE can't include stdio.h, stdlib.h, (any PIC).h, and many more even though I have imported my old project as you do. I expect you still have good intention to me. I apologize in advance. sad: sad
rjc101
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 11:17:45 (permalink)
I've the same pack problem as above.  Looking in the readme for the IDE I see the following under Whats New...

“Allow switch between pack versions” option: To be able to switch between packs displayed in Project Properties, check this option under Tools>Options>Embedded>Generic Settings.

Only this option doesn't exist, at least for the Mac version.

Oh, and the ICD4 is still held in reset after programming regardless of the "Hold in reset" button.  Plus the FreeRTOS plugin still doesn't work with the ICD4.
picy2620
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 12:32:53 (permalink)
I have only this Options: (Windows platform) 

picy2620
post edited by picy2620 - 2019/05/16 12:35:06

Attachment(s)

charla
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 18:27:01 (permalink)
Jack_M  

It looks like the pack installation process is not complete. Could you install the pack used in the project from Pack Manager by going to Tools - > Packs then reopen the project?

Regards,
Charles
charla
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/16 18:29:45 (permalink)
picy2620
I have the same issue: (imported old project settings)

picy2620

You could continue to use 1.0.41 for the old project. If you create a new project for the same device it will start using 1.0.46. You will be able to switch pack versions in future releases of MPLAB X.

Regards,
Charles
davekw7x
Entropy++
  • Total Posts : 1791
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/17 08:23:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jim Nickerson 2019/05/17 08:25:40
+5 (5)
Jack_M
-All projects use outdated device packs that were not installed with the IDE.

picy2620
I have only this Options: (Windows platform)

My Initial Experience with MPLABX version 5.20 (Linux platform):

First of all, I created a brand new very simple project in MPLABX.
No problems with building.  Programming (PKOB on Curiosity) presented the same old stuff from other MPLABX "upgrades" where I had to close MPLABX, unplug and re-plug the target and open MPLABX again (sigh). Then select something other than the target in the Project->Properties window, click "Apply" and reselect the target to get the firmware to load with only two failed attempts.  See Footnote.

Then I closed that project and opened a project that I had been running under MPLABX version 5.15.

I got the Configuration Loading Error message shown in the first attachment

When I clicked the link I got the picture shown in the second attachment (Project->Properties window).  My logical (or so I claim) expectation was that I should be able to click on the 1.0.36 Pack, but it was grayed out.  Couldn't select it.

So, here's what I did:
  • I closed the project.
  • Outside of MPLABX, I opened a command window and navigated into the nbprojects directory (under the project's .X directory).  Made a backup copy of configurations.xml (just in case...)
  • I edited configurations.xml as follows
    Found the following line:
            <pack name="PIC12-16F1xxx_DFP" vendor="Microchip" version="1.0.28"/>
    Changed it to
            <pack name="PIC12-16F1xxx_DFP" vendor="Microchip" version="1.0.36"/>
  • I saved the edited configurations.xml file
  • In MPLABX, I opened the project again.   No further "pack" problems. Situation: "Normal"
So, the Pack is actually in the installation tree, but the IDE doesn't (can't figure out how to) glom onto it.

I guess I'll have to do the manual editing for all previous projects until Microchip incorporates a correction or informs us about some less-annoying workaround

[Edit]
When I go back to MPLABX version 5.15, it finds the installed Pack for that version and changes the entry in configurations.xml accordingly, so it works as it should.  This is both for the old project that I had manually edited that file as well as the new version 5.20 project.

So, whoever changed whatever stuff for 5.20 missed out on what was required to make it find whatever is actually installed.  One of my old bosses called this "Corporate Amnesia" where previous knowledge had somehow dissipated when old stuff was "upgraded" by later developers.  But, I mean, it's only been six months or so since the previous "point" release.  Just plain carelessness (and lack of test planning).

The Good News is that I don't have to manually edit configurations.xml (or restore the saved file) in order to use my previous installation of MPLABX
[/Edit]

Bottom line: I perceive (not for the first time) that people responsible for releasing the software don't have any "real" users test it.  Developers concentrate on what they are working on (new changes) and don't go back and do regression testing.  No beta testers who actually use the tools other than volunteers on this forum

I will continue investigating this new release in my so-called spare time.  Since I only use MPLABX for PIC devices, I haven't, so far, uncovered any real reason to "upgrade," but one of my hobbies is to try to stay on the bleeding edge.  Keeps the adrenaline flowing and helps me stay awake when working on "real" projects...

Regards,

Dave

Footnote, I have previously discovered that a solution to PICkit3 and PKOB firmware upgrade problems with MPLABX upgrades is to bury 7 broomstraws dipped in chicken blood under my back porch at midnight under a Full Moon, but I didn't want to wait that long.

post edited by davekw7x - 2019/05/17 18:16:29

Attachment(s)

Sometimes I just can't help myself...
JPortici
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/18 01:36:50 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Hi dave, 1000 internet points for you for showing a workaround :)
And i agree 100% with you for the perceived lack of beta testing. I also want to stay on the edge, also because i want the devtools to be as updated as possible...
but this time i will just wait for 5.21 or whatever release. I don't want to mess with all the production projects to make them compatible.
I understand that this release introduced new features (now that the packs system is up and running maybe the include files with wrong bit definitions will FINALLY be updated.) but i don't feel safe to use this releas of the IDE, period
spenyo
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/20 14:07:02 (permalink)
Hello,
I would like to use Mplab x with CCs C on a notebook which one has no network contact.
Is there any method of the MplabX installation which allow CCs C compiler install under mplab x without network connection?
Without network connection the CCs C compiler does not appear in the list of "available plugins"...??
Does it exist any method or way to install CCs C under MplabX this case?
DickD
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/21 11:23:37 (permalink)
Also the IDE can't find standard include files like #include <stdlib.h>. The build works fine (the compiler finds them) but these #includes are underlined in red in the IDE and types and functions defined by these #include files are also underlined in red.
Worked fine in 5.15.

Dick

KTrenholm
  • Total Posts : 710
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/21 13:29:42 (permalink)
+2 (2)
DickD
Also the IDE can't find standard include files like #include <stdlib.h>. The build works fine (the compiler finds them) but these #includes are underlined in red in the IDE and types and functions defined by these #include files are also underlined in red.
Worked fine in 5.15.

Dick

This sounds like the parser in MPLAB X throwing a fit.  It happens to me all the time and has been a persisting issue in MPLAB X basically since I started using it around v2.5 or so.

Usually Right Click Project > Code Assistance > Reparse Project fixes it for me.
CiccioB
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/05/21 14:31:29 (permalink)
Hi all,
for the first time (and probably last) I uninstalled the old version of MPLAB X before installing the just released one because I was confident that after all these months since last released version the IDE would have been changed al lot and many bugs would have been fixed and the tool thoroughly tested, so no need to keep the old version.
But that is not the case. Many bugs I have found (and listed also in the release file issue table) are still there.

Now there's a new one to add to the list: if you try to power a board with Pickit 3 and it can't sustain the required voltage the error message that is prompted is this:
PICkit 3 is trying to supply %f volts from the USB port, but the target VDD is measured to be %f volts. This could be due to the USB port power capabilities or the target circuitry affecting the measured VDD.

So I do not know exactly which is the voltage delta it is measuring.

Hope they are going to fix the IDE for the next version instead of adding new features.

Gort2015
Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/06/05 08:02:27 (permalink)
Was this the big June release we have been waiting for?

(Also PK4 compatibility with CK/CH chips, still not green)

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0
+ ST:Continues, "What Ships are Made for", Q's back.
eric hammond
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/06/23 16:12:11 (permalink)
to KTrenholm, the fix for red-flagging system include files worked once, and standard (or what used to be) reserved words, such as "_OSCFAIL" stayed flagged for a long time.

Long enough to log into this forum and start this reply (2-5 minutes)

Then I closed MPLAB, waited about a minute, re-opened it and all the red-flags are back.
Only this time "reparse project" did not fix the issue.
The project compiles with no issues, either debug or production. But this makes it really hard to work with new or changing files when "int16_t i; " is red-flagged in about a few thousand places.
I suppose I shlould just not make msitakces, but, you know.
KTrenholm
  • Total Posts : 710
Re: MPLABX V5.20 Issues 2019/06/24 08:52:18 (permalink)
ehammond
to KTrenholm, the fix for red-flagging system include files worked once, and standard (or what used to be) reserved words, such as "_OSCFAIL" stayed flagged for a long time.

Long enough to log into this forum and start this reply (2-5 minutes)

Then I closed MPLAB, waited about a minute, re-opened it and all the red-flags are back.
Only this time "reparse project" did not fix the issue.
The project compiles with no issues, either debug or production. But this makes it really hard to work with new or changing files when "int16_t i; " is red-flagged in about a few thousand places.
I suppose I shlould just not make msitakces, but, you know.

You - shouldn't have to do anything.
They - should have a code parser works properly.

What I gave was a workaround that works for me most of the time.  I can't guarantee it's going to work for everyone unfortunately.  The only real fix is for mchip to fix it.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5