IDE (imported opened project list from previous version)
-All projects use outdated device packs that were not installed with the IDE.
I have only this Options: (Windows platform)
My Initial Experience with MPLABX version 5.20 (Linux platform):
First of all, I created a brand new very simple project in MPLABX.
No problems with building. Programming (PKOB on Curiosity) presented the same old stuff from other MPLABX "upgrades" where I had to close MPLABX, unplug and re-plug the target and open MPLABX again (sigh). Then select something other than the target in the Project->Properties window, click "Apply" and reselect the target to get the firmware to load with only two failed attempts. See Footnote.
Then I closed that project and opened a project that I had been running under MPLABX version 5.15.
I got the Configuration Loading Error message shown in the first attachment
When I clicked the link I got the picture shown in the second attachment (Project->Properties window). My logical (or so I claim) expectation was that I should be able to click on the 1.0.36 Pack, but it was grayed out. Couldn't select it.
So, here's what I did:
- I closed the project.
- Outside of MPLABX, I opened a command window and navigated into the nbprojects directory (under the project's .X directory). Made a backup copy of configurations.xml (just in case...)
- I edited configurations.xml as follows
Found the following line:
<pack name="PIC12-16F1xxx_DFP" vendor="Microchip" version="1.0.28"/>
Changed it to
<pack name="PIC12-16F1xxx_DFP" vendor="Microchip" version="1.0.36"/>
- I saved the edited configurations.xml file
- In MPLABX, I opened the project again. No further "pack" problems. Situation: "Normal"
So, the Pack is actually in the installation tree, but the IDE doesn't (can't figure out how to) glom onto it.
I guess I'll have to do the manual editing for all previous projects until Microchip incorporates a correction or informs us about some less-annoying workaround
When I go back to MPLABX version 5.15, it finds the installed Pack for that version and changes the entry in configurations.xml
accordingly, so it works as it should. This is both for the old project that I had manually edited that file as well as the new version 5.20 project.
So, whoever changed whatever stuff for 5.20 missed out on what was required to make it find whatever is actually installed. One of my old bosses called this "Corporate Amnesia" where previous knowledge had somehow dissipated when old stuff was "upgraded" by later developers. But, I mean, it's only been six months or so since the previous "point" release. Just plain carelessness (and lack of test planning).
The Good News is that I don't have to manually edit configurations.xml
(or restore the saved file) in order to use my previous installation of MPLABX
Bottom line: I perceive (not for the first time) that people responsible for releasing the software don't have any "real" users test it. Developers concentrate on what they are working on (new changes) and don't go back and do regression testing. No beta testers who actually use the tools other than volunteers on this forum
I will continue investigating this new release in my so-called spare time. Since I only use MPLABX for PIC devices, I haven't, so far, uncovered any real reason to "upgrade," but one of my hobbies is to try to stay on the bleeding edge. Keeps the adrenaline flowing and helps me stay awake when working on "real" projects...
Footnote, I have previously discovered that a solution to PICkit3 and PKOB firmware upgrade problems with MPLABX upgrades is to bury 7 broomstraws dipped in chicken blood under my back porch at midnight under a Full Moon, but I didn't want to wait that long.
post edited by davekw7x - 2019/05/17 18:16:29