• AVR Freaks

Hot!"New Project" Option in H3 vs. H2.06

Author
BillP
  • Total Posts : 320
  • Reward points : 0
2019/05/15 16:35:37 (permalink)

"New Project" Option in H3 vs. H2.06

I just discovered a problematic difference in the way MPLABX/Harmony creates a new Harmony project.  Apparently in H3, the Project name is only used as a name on the project menu in MPLABX.  The project directory does not contain that name (as it used to do in Hv2).  See the attached screenshots that show where the project folders are created.

What is disturbing (to me) is that Harmony places the project in a folder named "firmware" and places the ".X" and the "src" directories under "firmware.  This means that all new projects share the same src directory.  I do not think that is a good idea. ;)

What I have done is to create a new folder under the "apps" directory with the same name as the project name.  After the project is created with the Harmony wizard, move the entire firmware directory under the project name directory.  This makes it look like the way Hv2 created new projects.

If there is a good reason why Hv3 does what it does, I would like to hear about it on this forum.  BTW - the Hv3 MHC documentation does not mention this "feature".

Attached Image(s)

3 Replies Related Threads

LostInSpace
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re: "New Project" Option in H3 vs. H2.06 2019/05/22 20:51:08 (permalink)
    >>>>This means that all new projects share the same src directory.

Yes, that does not seem like a good idea, especially when my projects have 15 or more driver files in them.

If I found this, I would open a support ticket, in my experience someone gets back to me very quickly and usually is is something... Well.... If I'm honest..... Something that I have done that is not very smart. Sometimes they tell me - yeah, it is to be fixed in the next release, and at the very least now they know about it.

arpananand
    • Total Posts : 416
    Re: "New Project" Option in H3 vs. H2.06 2019/05/27 21:34:01 (permalink)
    H3 does have little different way of creating projects, but it doesn't mean all the H3 projects will share same source folder.
    if you want to have different source folder for an H3 project, then you need to change location of the project in highlighted area shown in attachment.

in fact by default it automatically creates a new project in new location of user's directory, allowing user to have different source files.

Attached Image(s)

BillP
    • Total Posts : 320
    Re: "New Project" Option in H3 vs. H2.06 2019/05/29 07:17:27 (permalink)
    @arpananand
    Thanks for explaining this.  I was using the Hv2 logic to create new projects in the app directory. 

Is there a document that describes all the differences between Hv2 and Hv3?  I think that would be a big help for anyone that understands Hv2 when switching to Hv3.  Just a thought...
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5