Joe Gold
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
2019/05/14 08:45:08 (permalink)

New to Harmony

Hi ,
I have been given a  Harmony MPLAB X project  that loads into MPLAB X 5.15

Q1
How can i confirm which version of Harmony it uses and which  XC32 compiler version and any other file dependencies.

Q2
Assume it is  H2.06   
Can I have H2.06 on C:  and the  project flieson  D:\?
How do l link the two together?

Q3
In the top level project folder   the is a ****.hconfig    file,   but it seems to be  H1.0x

Regs  Joe

4 Replies Related Threads

Paul PortSol
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re: New to Harmony 2019/05/14 10:59:49 (permalink)
    3) If you are migrating from a different Harmony version, then I highly suggest you:
    - Create a fresh project
    - copy in the custom C files from the old project
    - modify as needed, there can be MANY differences depending on what Harmony modules you are using.
    * Before doing this get yourself familiar with the target version of Harmony by doing sample projects and tutorials. 
    * If using HarmonyV2.xx then you should be able to totally avoid BSP and instead use MHC pin Manager. I've posted file with steps for this in other threads "without bsp".

2) No, Project folder must be in the tree as many things use "relative" folder paths.
    You can install Harmony on another drive during install process .
    i.e. my is on P:
    P:\microchip\harmony\v2_06\apps\... == Microchip sample projects
    P:\microchip\harmony\v2_06\mine\... == My Projects (I backup this folder)
    P:\microchip\harmony\v2_06\mine\yyy\... == Optional Group of Projects for a system

1a) XC32: Right click on project, select properties, it'll show compiler selected (if same version installed)
    1b) Harmony Version according to folder it is installed, since projects have to be in the same tree (see 2 above).
    1c) You better ensure you have the exact relative path for the project within the Harmony tree, as one step up or down will make a mess. You can't easily move a project up/down the folder tree. See 2 above.

Paul

post edited by Paul PortSol - 2019/05/14 11:48:43
    moser
    • Total Posts : 448
    Re: New to Harmony 2019/05/15 01:08:06 (permalink)
    1d) You can also start the MPLAB Harmony Configurator (MHC). In MHC there is a button called "Harmony Framework Configuration" where you select the Harmony path, and it will tell you the Harmony version.
    1e) If you want to know within your application which Harmony version you have, you can use the macros SYS_VERSION and SYS_VERSION_STR which are defined in system_config.h.
    1f) If you want to know within your application which XC32 version you have, you can use a macro like __XC32 _VERSION or others. 
    LostInSpace
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re: New to Harmony 2019/05/15 06:47:14 (permalink)
    As far as the project path,
    * I build all my projects at: C:\source\myProject
    * It works and builds fine. 
    * If you put the project where microchip recommends then harmony updates are quite simple, they have a video that shows how this is done. Otherwise follow this procedure,
    https://www.microchip.com/forums/m941554.aspx

HTH

Paul PortSol
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re: New to Harmony 2019/05/15 10:13:34 (permalink)
    @HTH,
    I'll have to try that. Must have been a change along the way because it never used to work outside the Harmony tree. Its been a long time since I tried that.
    Much cleaner if it works.

I do recommend putting a shortcut to the matching Harmony Version in the project just in case project gets passed on... Actually I put a text file in the project telling all versions used(MPLABX, XC32, Harmony, MHC) as they can affect the build and be frustrating to recover should the project need work months/years down the road by different developer (or one with a bad memory like me).

Paul
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5