• AVR Freaks

Hot!Harmony 2 and 3 on the same computer (Mac)?

Author
AndreaC
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
2019/05/10 09:03:59 (permalink)

Harmony 2 and 3 on the same computer (Mac)?

I'd like to start experimenting with Harmony 3, but I still to maintain a couple of projects using Harmony 2. Can I install Harmony 2 and 3 side-by-side on the same computer? I'm on a Mac. I thought about duplicating the MPLAB IDE installation under the Applications folder but my understanding is that the settings are in a version dependent folder under the Library/Application Support folder, so duplicating the installation folder won't help at all. Is there any other way to be able to quickly switch between Harmony 2 and 3?

4 Replies Related Threads

nigelwright7557
    • Total Posts : 268
    Re: Harmony 2 and 3 on the same computer (Mac)? 2019/05/10 09:10:35 (permalink)
    What I do  to change versions of Harmony is slightly rename one of the c:\microchip\harmony directory names so it only finds one version.  Rename the one you dont want to use. v2_04 to v2_4_dontuse
    BillP
    • Total Posts : 320
    Re: Harmony 2 and 3 on the same computer (Mac)? 2019/05/11 06:59:24 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I have H2.06 and Hv3 installed in separate folders on my Mac each containing the projects I am using on that version.  When I changed to v3, I deactivated the Harmony Code Configurator in the plugins menu, then I selected (and/or installed) the Harmony 3 Configurator. Then I selected Tools/embedded/Harmony 3 Configurator.  I checked all the paths that were displayed to verify they were correct.  That worked.

To go to H2.06, I opened the H2.06 project, then deactivated the Harmony 3 Configurator and installed/activated Harmony Code Configurator. That brings up the old framework windows.  Check the project properties and paths to be sure everything is as it should be.

This is not pretty, but it seems to work.

Paul PortSol
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re: Harmony 2 and 3 on the same computer (Mac)? 2019/05/13 06:36:23 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I haven't used Hv3, But I have had multiple versions of Hv1 and Hv2 at same time,
    and all installed on D:\microchip\harmony\...
    I did this by setting up different instances of MPLABX, each with the appropriate MHC version for the Harmony it is matched to.

Notes below are from way back, but I'm using same for MPLABXv5.15 and HarmonyV206.
    See: http://www.microchip.com/forums/m896887.aspx
    • MPLABX Multiple Instances
      • Create an empty folder for each instance, and use the --userdir option to start MPLABX using that dir (up to 5 instances):
        • Ensure use Target String from new MPLABX shortcut as path sometimes changes in unexpected ways
        • Shortcut InstanceA Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.15\mplab_ide\bin\mplab_ide.exe" --userdir "P:\Data\microchip\MPLABX_Instances\mplabxV410_iA"
        • Shortcut InstanceB Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.15\mplab_ide\bin\mplab_ide.exe" --userdir "P:\Data\microchip\MPLABX_Instances\mplabxV410_iB"
      • Reference: MPLABX - Help - Tools Help Contents - MPLAB X IDE Help, see sections:
        • Before You Begin : Launch Multiple Instances of the IDE : Invoking Instances of the IDE
        • More than 5 IDE: Before You Begin : Launch Multiple Instances of the IDE : Setting Up Hardware Tools to Work with Multiple Instances
    • If instance becomes corrupted, simply exit MPLAB and delete the folder contents
    • Instance label and instance compile options
      1. Rename master project folder (App16.X to App16a)
      2. Copy master project folder to duplicates (App16a to App16b, App16c)
      3. Open each project duplicate in a different MPLABX instance, the project folder name becomes the Instance identifier
      4. Create a define for optional instance specific compiling (i.e. identifirer in a printf or packet):
        • Project - Properties - xc32-gcc - Preprocessor and messaging - Preprocessor Macros - D_RemA (or D_RemB...)
    • Source code changes carry between instances, but project settings don't (compile options, add/remove files, ...)
      • To resync the projects exit all MPLABX, delete the duplicate folders, and repeat from step 2.

* An easy way to label the instances is to create a dummy project with the Instances's tiotler of function, and have that as first project open in the MPLABX instance (i.e. "____First")

Paul
    AndreaC
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: Harmony 2 and 3 on the same computer (Mac)? 2019/05/13 15:14:07 (permalink)
    Paul PortSol
    I haven't used Hv3, But I have had multiple versions of Hv1 and Hv2 at same time [...]
    I did this by setting up different instances of MPLABX, each with the appropriate MHC version for the Harmony it is matched to. [...]

Paul, this is a great suggestion, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! Since I'm using a Mac, your instructions don't work directly, but I found how to use multiple instances on a Mac (and Linux) here: https://microchipdeveloper.com/mplabx:instances
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5