• AVR Freaks

AnsweredHot!PIC32MX470 Curiosity Board

Author
vkr2308
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
2019/05/02 13:23:33 (permalink)

PIC32MX470 Curiosity Board

Ok, I'm not new to the Microchip lineup of products, but had never used Harmony before.  Got a PIC32MX470 board and ran the dual cdc demo.  I loaded it, compiled it and bingo, worked great.  So, next step was to build on it.  Just turning on console and pointing it to CDC, save configuration, compiled and FAIL.  So, I undid the config change, saved config, compile and fail.  Then decided to reinstall Harmony so I have a fresh copy of the dual cdc demo.  Open it and compile.  Works. 

HOWEVER with the fresh dual cdc demo on there, I decided to just save the config in Harmony configuration WITH NO CHANGES and did a compile, it fails.

Not sure what I'm missing here.  This is a demo that is loaded into MPLABx 5.15, open Harmony 2.06 Configurator and save it there and then compile, it fails.  This is without changing a single thing.  Just frustrating wanting to work on a new platform that is supposed to be somewhat "plug and play".  I even go in and recreate the demo duplication all the settings in Harmony Configuration to JUST get the "usb to serial" to register but it doesn't.

I've been trying to play with a few other things, but it keeps failing so I thought I'd go with a prebuilt demo and build on it, but it looks like the demo's fail. 

**** Ok, found a reference by someone else about similar issue.  Dug in my heels and was able to take the demo, copy a couple of missing lines in the system_config.h file for DMA and voila....  Just wonder WHY that wasn't automatically included with the Harmony Configuration....

Thanks,
Keith
post edited by vkr2308 - 2019/05/02 14:01:24
nigelwright7557
  • Total Posts : 276
Re: PIC32MX470 Curiosity Board 2019/05/02 14:37:18 (permalink)
Harmony is a massive piece of software and so is bound to have a few bugs.

I wrote some software using the USB HID driver and had a problem if the pc program exited.
Going back into the pc program would see the USB locked up.
Someone suggested going back to Harmony 2.04 and that fixed the problem.

vkr2308
Re: PIC32MX470 Curiosity Board 2019/05/07 17:37:11 (permalink)
Thanks for the info.  I uninstalled and install 2.04 but same issue.

Had seen a video for a different setup using version 1.x.  It was setting up tcpip for a device.  VERY simple steps on the first part to add the stack and hardware.  Second step was to add cdc usb port and console.  Nothing in the first step was necessary for the second step, so I jumped to that.

Compiles easy enough but again, the system doesn't see a serial port or 2 ports with the dual cdc.

I'd like to know if anyone else has gotten the curiosity board and gotten it to work with harmony.  I just dropped about $150.00 on the board and a couple of boards to plug into it, but can't even get a spark.

Had been playing with the Openpicus Flyport for a few years, but it was pretty much a dedicated platform and it was running an OLD compiler from Microchihp. 

Again, not a newbie to this type of stuff...just can't get a spark out of the Harmony platform.  Harmony had been around long enough that I thought the majority of bugs would be worked out and that's why I hit the reset button and jumped off with it.  But when I can't get a basic Hello World to work...….
vkr2308
Re: PIC32MX470 Curiosity Board 2019/05/09 18:12:11 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby MikeinAZ 2019/05/10 10:26:39
4 (1)
Ok....
So I went through and printed out all the Harmony settings under the cdc dual demo (honestly thought I did this already) and plugged it into a clean project for the Curiosity board.

Turned on the Hello Word function in Harmony, compiled and boom.  I guess I had missed a step before, but all good now.  Finally, I can definitely build on this and moved forward.  Have already changed it to a single port cdc demo ( I know, lame, but all I need for debugging) and it's happy as well.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5