Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ramon.gomez
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
2019/04/16 04:44:54 (permalink)

MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file

Hello everyone,

Some weeks ago,i upgrade my XC8 to 2.05. Like 6 weeks ago, started to fail compiling. Always the same error with some files:
"error: unable to rename temporary 'build/default/production/mcc_generated_files\tmr2.i-f3f555fe' to output file 'build/default/production/mcc_generated_files\tmr2.i': 'No such file or directory'"
Every 3-4 compiling tries, 2-3 of them failed.

I work with the projects alocated in my company server (where i have all the needed permissions), that's why i thought it could be a server problem. I copied my project to another location in my drive, just for test. The compilation was better, but the issue was not solved at all. Aprox, every 5 tries, one fails with the same message. 

I formatted my unit because of other reasons (and hoping that this was solved). But the issue continues. I even tried with old versions of MPLAB X (i have 5.15 right now, but tested on 5.10 and 4.20 too), but no changes. I tested with the older version of XC8 (2.00) and the issue is still there.

Looks like something changed in my PC/configuration/drive, but cannot find what can be. Any ideas? I read that it could be Windows updates, but can't confirm.

I attached some random logs so you can check.

Thank you.
J. Ramón Gómez Martín.
rodims
  • Total Posts : 1491
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/04/16 04:54:30 (permalink)
+3 (3)
Aprox, every 5 tries, one fails with the same message.

On your local drive, exactly the same source code builds without errors in 80 % and fails in 20 % ?
Did you try to disable your virus scanner ?
ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/04/16 07:10:52 (permalink)
Yes, it's the same project, just copied and pasted in my files. And yes, aprox 80%-20%.
Gonna talk to the IT and i'll give some feedback.

Thank you.
J. Ramón Gómez Martín.
malaugh
  • Total Posts : 398
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/04/16 08:16:56 (permalink)
+4 (4)
Sounds similar to a problem I get once in a while.  Somehow the temporary files generated by the compiler get in some state where MPLAB-X cannot delete them (Do not know why).  The solution I use is to exit MPLAB-X and manually delete all the intermediately files from the project directory.  If your project directory is called Project.X, The only essential files in the project directory are 

in Project.X
Makefile

in Project.X/nbproject
configurations.xml
project.xml
project.properties

Obviously you still need your source files. You can read more about this in http://microchipdeveloper.com/faq:72

Delete the other files in the project directory, and MPLAB will recreate them the next time you compile.

In our case the project is under version control, and only the essential files are stored in the repo, so the easy way for us is to delete the whole Project.X directory and get a new copy from the repo.  For this reason we do not store our source files in the Project.X directory, so we can delete the Project.X directory and the source files are still in the working copy.

du00000001
Just Some Member
  • Total Posts : 2786
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/04/16 08:55:05 (permalink)
+3 (3)
This whole story sounds like some race condition where one thread tries to rename/delete a file another thread has not yet closed. (Or the buffer hasn't yet been flushed.)
In the "good old times", we had to restrict critical applications to use just a single core to get rid of such race conditions. (If I only could recall the tool's name. Certainly still available.)
As it is, faster machines tend to run into these conditions where slower machines never have a problem  grin

PEBKAC / EBKAC / POBCAK / PICNIC (eventually see en.wikipedia.org)
ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/04/16 23:14:50 (permalink)
+2 (2)
malaugh

Delete the other files in the project directory, and MPLAB will recreate them the next time you compile.

You got a point there. If i delete those files, the compiler works... once. Next compiling fails like the rest. 

du00000001
This whole story sounds like some race condition where one thread tries to rename/delete a file another thread has not yet closed. (Or the buffer hasn't yet been flushed.)
In the "good old times", we had to restrict critical applications to use just a single core to get rid of such race conditions. (If I only could recall the tool's name. Certainly still available.)
As it is, faster machines tend to run into these conditions where slower machines never have a problem  grin

I changed mplabx afinity to 2 cores instead of 8 and, after 1 hour of working, the issue has disappeared. Obviously the compiling is like 4x times slower. I'll keep working after this setting and i''l give some feedback.

What makes me be pissed is that i've been working with MPLABX and XC8 for 2 years and never saw this issue. And now, all my big projects present it. I read it could be a Windows 10 update. That could be a problem since my company control those updates.

Anyway, thank you all.
J. Ramón Gómez Martín.
ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/04/23 22:59:28 (permalink)
Hello again,

Sorry for the time before post, we have been on vacation here in Spain. 

The issue still here, with 2 cores selected in afinity. I've already changed to 1 core and seems to be working. 

I'll keep testing and updating this post.

Thank you all.
J. Ramón Gómez Martín.
ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/04/26 00:55:04 (permalink)
Heyo,

The issue appeared again with one core. I tried:
* Full uninstall and clean install and didn't work.
* Launching MPLAB-X with admin permissions and didn't work neither.
* Moving all my projects to a new location with shorter route (i'ts a folder in my C unit) and looks cool.

Right now, is working fine in the new location, with all 8 cores. My working server still giving problems, even in a shorter route. I still wait for IT to disable and test without antivirus.

If i get news, i'll update this post.

Thank you all.
J. Ramón Gómez Martín.

ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/09 00:51:46 (permalink)
Hello,

After 1 week working in short routes, the issue has disappeared. Still can't work in the server. We tested with disabled antivirus and still fails.

I just found this warning: "Some of the files in this Project "PIC18F66K80" contain spaces or odd characters in their name or their path. This could potentially cause issues during the build process. This is a limitation of GNU Make tool that we use as part of our build process. Removing spaces from all file and folder names included in this project will eliminate this potential issue."

I don't have spaces in those routes, so i'm totally lost with this. Are there any other forbidden chars?

Thank you,
J. Ramón Gómez Martín.
du00000001
Just Some Member
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/09 01:16:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ramon.gomez 2019/05/10 04:30:44
+1 (1)
Oh - just give us your project's path to see what MPLAB might mock upon. I think, the critical characters list starts with braces, more than a single dot per name, ...

ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/10 03:48:30 (permalink)
Hello,

Right now this is (was) my main local route: C:\Users\ramon.gomez\Documents\Versiones
Server route is symply the network drive: I:\ 
or the full route: \\192.168.1.10\Ingenieria
I don't really know which one MPLAB uses. 

The name of the project files are like this: 1_IOs.c and 1_IOs.h. Maybe this underscore is the problem?
If you need some project properties ask me and i'll post it.

Thank you.
J. Ramón Gómez.

EDIT: I'm using MCC and use those underscores too, and never give me any problem. 
post edited by ramon.gomez - 2019/05/10 03:53:25
qhb
Superb Member
  • Total Posts : 9998
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/10 04:00:11 (permalink)
+1 (1)
ramon.gomez

What is on the server?
Some of your source code?
Some of your applications (XC8, MCC etc?)

Nearly there...
ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/10 04:36:17 (permalink)
Hello,

qhb
ramon.gomez

What is on the server?
Some of your source code?
Some of your applications (XC8, MCC etc?)

Full project (source and build) is on this server. I use the default route for building. I don't really understand your question: What do you mean with applications? XC8 and MCC are installed in my desktop.

Thank you.
J. Ramón Gómez.
du00000001
Just Some Member
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/10 04:49:31 (permalink)
0 (2)
The project is directly in I:\  ---  or in some subdirectory?
If the latter: what would be the complete path and name of the .X file ?

@ ramon.gomez
Sorry to ask - what's the word for "IDIOT" in your native language ???
I'm tempted to change my footnote to "It's most likely an ID-ten-T error."

I just had a look into the log file provided. And what do I have to see???
make[1]: Entering directory 'Z:/Ingenieria SW/2 SOFTWARE/ProyectosMPLABX/PIC18F66K80.X'
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\xc8\v2.05\bin\xc8-cc.exe" ...

What else have we here?
I don't have spaces in those routes, ...

OK - maybe you do not know what a space is. The synonym is blank.
And ALL of your pathes contain (at least contained) spaces.

Continue to entertain us . . .
post edited by du00000001 - 2019/05/10 04:58:51

ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/10 06:16:42 (permalink)
-1 (1)
In the early, yes, it was in that route. Then i moved the project to the root folder of my drive and the root folder of (one) server, just for test. And the issue still there. The drive letter is not even the same. Right now the project route is: I:\PIC18F66K80.X

du00000001
The project is directly in I:\  ---  or in some subdirectory?
If the latter: what would be the complete path and name of the .X file ?

@ ramon.gomez
Sorry to ask - what's the word for "IDIOT" in your native language ???
I'm tempted to change my footnote to "It's most likely an ID-ten-T error."

I just had a look into the log file provided. And what do I have to see???
make[1]: Entering directory 'Z:/Ingenieria SW/2 SOFTWARE/ProyectosMPLABX/PIC18F66K80.X'
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\xc8\v2.05\bin\xc8-cc.exe" ...

What else have we here?
I don't have spaces in those routes, ...

OK - maybe you do not know what a space is. The synonym is blank.
And ALL of your pathes contain (at least contained) spaces.

Continue to entertain us . . .

Thanks for your arrogance, it's really disgusting. 

J. Ramón Gómez.
mlp
boots too small
  • Total Posts : 765
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/10 07:49:31 (permalink)
ramon.gomez

Thanks for your arrogance, it's really disgusting. 

And yours.

We can only see what you show us. If you don't show us the new build logs, we have to assume the old build logs still represent what you now see.

When you make a change from what was initially presented, tell us about it in full, i.e. post a comment with the updated versions of whatever you initially posted (and any extra info as appropriate).

Eye Dee Ten Tee indeed.

Mark (this opinion available for hire)
ramon.gomez
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/15 23:05:18 (permalink)
Man, this change was told in one previous post:

The issue appeared again with one core. I tried:
* Full uninstall and clean install and didn't work.
* Launching MPLAB-X with admin permissions and didn't work neither.
* Moving all my projects to a new location with shorter route (i'ts a folder in my C unit) and looks cool.

Right now, is working fine in the new location, with all 8 cores. My working server still giving problems, even in a shorter route. I still wait for IT to disable and test without antivirus.

I've been updating anytime i have some change for several days. And nobody asked for anything.

I'm not getting into this "Eye Dee Ten Tee" thing. You are free to help if you want.

BTW, XC8 always have been installed in that route. For 2 long years. And this "blank spaces" warning doesn't appear when i load the project from the server route. Maybe because is not a space problem?
post edited by ramon.gomez - 2019/05/15 23:06:24
Bryan M. W. Samosir
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/16 01:37:19 (permalink)
-1 (1)
ramon.gomez
Hello everyone,

Some weeks ago,i upgrade my XC8 to 2.05. Like 6 weeks ago, started to fail compiling. Always the same error with some files:
"error: unable to rename temporary 'build/default/production/mcc_generated_files\tmr2.i-f3f555fe' to output file 'build/default/production/mcc_generated_files\tmr2.i': 'No such file or directory'"
Every 3-4 compiling tries, 2-3 of them failed.

I work with the projects alocated in my company server (where i have all the needed permissions), that's why i thought it could be a server problem. I copied my project to another location in my drive, just for test. The compilation was better, but the issue was not solved at all. Aprox, every 5 tries, one fails with the same message. 

I formatted my unit because of other reasons (and hoping that this was solved). But the issue continues. I even tried with old versions of MPLAB X (i have 5.15 right now, but tested on 5.10 and 4.20 too), but no changes. I tested with the older version of XC8 (2.00) and the issue is still there.

I notice no library found by this MPLAB X IDE in my laptop. I've been using it v5.10, v5.15, v5.20 with XC8(2.05) compiler, PICKit3 programmer, and PIC16F877A target.
I didn't install this MPLAB in C:\ because my C:\ had insufficient memory so I did that to D:\ .
This MPLAB can't compile source code I have written.
I have tried to MPLAB X IDE v3.40 with the same problem.
post edited by Bryan M. W. Samosir - 2019/05/16 09:32:37
qhb
Superb Member
  • Total Posts : 9998
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/16 04:15:22 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Bryan M. W. Samosir
I notice no library found by this MPLAB X IDE in my laptop.

What "library" do you expect to find?
I think it's more likely you are having problems with the latest version of the compiler, not the IDE.
XC8 version 2.xx has a lot of changes from 1.xx

Nearly there...
Bryan M. W. Samosir
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: MPLABX-XC8 error - No such directory or file 2019/05/16 09:31:44 (permalink)
qhb
Bryan M. W. Samosir
I notice no library found by this MPLAB X IDE in my laptop.

What "library" do you expect to find?
I think it's more likely you are having problems with the latest version of the compiler, not the IDE.
XC8 version 2.xx has a lot of changes from 1.xx

Such as xc.h, stdlib.h, stdio.h, pic16f877a.h, and many more. There's no difference of using XC32 v2.05 and v1.41 in the IDE.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5