• AVR Freaks

Hot!PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")?

Author
RodoPIC
  • Total Posts : 180
  • Reward points : 0
2019/04/04 11:44:22 (permalink)

PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")?

Hi all,

Any news on when Harmony 3 will support PIC32MZ EF in non-Beta Release mode?

Thanks

16 Replies Related Threads

MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 320
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 07:37:14 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Please note that there are many individual repositories for the package we call "Harmony 3".  Each repository has its own release goals, and in fact may rely on different versions of other repos.  So there is not any one single time or function that will roll over for "production".  Generally over time individual repos will be updated, while others are on different schedules.  Please check the 'release notes' of each repo to identify the release status of the functionality you are looking for.

We do not comment generally about specific schedules, but there are 2 more planned releases in CQ2'19 for most of the repos.  Different content focus is planned for each, but some of these elements will also be moving to "production" status.
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 17958
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 08:51:18 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    There are Multiple Harmony 3's?
    JPortici
    • Total Posts : 822
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 08:53:38 (permalink)
    4 (1)
    I'm waiting for 3.3 with anticipation :) And then some..

Question: Will you be able to accept user contributions at some point?
    Even for simple things like BSP and project configurations using said BSPs.
    Example 1: In V2.06 the support for PIC32MK is laughable and even if i want to create a project from scratch, the BSP is wrong and incomplete. An user could spot the problem, propose the solution, fix is merged. Great!
    Example 2: BSPs for Olimex boards or other third party (cheaper) boards... Then it'd be easier to change an example project from PIC32MZ_EF_SK to, say, PIC32 EMZ-64 and create projects with debug interfaces etc.
    MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 09:37:12 (permalink)
    There are multiple repositories, that together make up 'Harmony 3'. There are multiple wiki on our GitHub site to help guide you through this and a deeper understanding of how these fit together.
    Core elements include the CSP, Core, BSP and MHC repos for example. There are middleware repos that cover different topics like net (TCPIP), usb, gfx (graphics) and others.
    Each of the repositories have their own updates, and in some cases dependencies.  Each have their own release notes, and clarification about things like production status.  Each have their own schedule, and of course have independent content based on function.
    So if the question is about "production", it follows that one must first decide if they are talking about a PLIB (from CSP), or a middleware function from a library, or something in between.
    This may seem like an academic argument.  However there are very real differences in coverage depending on what you may want to do, in particular as we roll out development.  PIC32MZ EF is currently available (beta) from CSP and Core for basic functions.  This device is not currently supported in graphics or audio yet, but will be in the upcoming version.  There are many other examples as we cover multiple families.  
    Much more to come.
    MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 09:46:40 (permalink)
    Making the project public for pull requests is possible, but left for another day.  There is a lot of development going on, and until that all is in production it would be futile to have other inputs.
    However we should contrast that with issues that you (and this means anyone) have found.  Please do report the errors that you find, and we can try to correct them.  There is an "issues" section that is open for comment in each GitHub repository, and you can put your insights there.  You can even put in code suggestions, and it is likely those will be picked up.  Yes, this is not ideal for the moment, but your inputs can be heard.
    Last, please do be aware that the roll out of different repos really does have different targets.  So "version 3.3" can mean different things, depending on the repo.  They will also likely roll out at modestly different times, and are not a monolithic release as they were in the past.
    JPortici
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 10:01:54 (permalink)
    Re: reporting issues.

I've been testing H3 since the first day that support for PIC32 was added and opened ticket to report every -serious- issue i found, which was promptly corrected. The less serious issues, i wrote that on this forum because i didn't want to open multiple tickets but i think they were read because things were fixed..
    Good to know that i can use the issues section on github.

But you are right in reminding me to Write to support, because too many times people complain that things don't work for them but then won't do a single thing to notify the developers. They won't notify the issue, they won't provide an explanation of the issue different than "doesn't work". It's infuriating, i know.

Re: Suggestions.

I know it's not the time because there are missing features that i'd like to have before focusing on secondary issues

Re: Versions.

Yeah, i know that different versions means different things and they won't be in sync in terms of for example part support and that 3.3 for repo "X" will come at any time after repo "Y" but...
    there are certain repos that should have what i need in v3.3 ... or at least according to what i was told by MHCP support :)
    and the fact that a single repo is updated at a time is a BLESSING. Screw monolythic releases for something like this.
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 17958
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 10:11:36 (permalink)
    "the fact that a single repo is updated at a time is a BLESSING. Screw monolithic releases for something like this."
    An Blessing and a Curse.  It makes it more Difficult to Recall an old version you know what version you have, And what your Coworkers have.  I assume there are ways to overcome it.
    JPortici
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 10:16:07 (permalink)
    Good thing i work in a single person team :P
    Yeah, one thing they MUST implement with the new round of updates is an improved downloader, so that you can update more than one package at a time (and speed the thing up as it can take you 30 minutes easily to update all the packages.. and you can't do that and leave the thing in the background, because you will need to make many clicks.. and more importantly because you can't go on working on something else inside mplab)
    RodoPIC
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/05 13:15:33 (permalink)
    MikeinAZ

[snip] 
    PIC32MZ EF is currently available (beta) from CSP and Core for basic functions.  This device is not currently supported in graphics or audio yet, but will be in the upcoming version. 
    [snip]

PIC32MZ EF and graphics is exactly what I'm waiting for to be out of beta. Thanks.
    GrahamH
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/11 12:25:03 (permalink)
    I note that the PIC32MX is not supported in the current download of Harmony 3, only PIC32MZ and MK.

Will the PIC32MX be added? Or is this the beginning of the end of support for the PIC32MX?

Is the current Harmony 2.06 the last planned release for Harmony 2?

I have some older products running Harmony 1.03.1 on PIC32MX, that need upgrading, and I am trying to figure out how to do that.
    JPortici
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/11 13:23:37 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I have no idea. It would be interesting to know

Anyway 32MZ/MK really needed the update as 2.06 is full of bugs that aren't there for PIC32MX
    And since harmony 3 is basically harmony done from scratch (again) i can say with confidence that 2.06 is the final 2.xx release. I mean, why bother if your are already putting a ton of effort in starting over without making the same mistakes...
    MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/15 10:06:47 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I addressed some of this in another thread.
    Yes, we are adding PIC32MX to Harmony 3. However given that there are multiple device families with this group, we will start with some with others to follow later.  Your specific device may fall into either group, so it would be difficult for your to plan into a scheduled plan.  We do not set schedules in the forum for this reason, I am just trying to give you insight into the development plan.
    We will also have a support update to Harmony (v2.07) that is currently scheduled for the second half of 2019.
    RodoPIC
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/15 11:18:23 (permalink)
    MikeinAZ
    [snip]
    We will also have a support update to Harmony (v2.07) that is currently scheduled for the second half of 2019.

Harmony 2.07?  I would have thought that Microchip had enough work to do with Harmony v3.
    MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/04/15 12:32:30 (permalink)
    Yes, you would think so.

Harmony v2.07 will primarily be bug fixes and maintenance.  But it is scheduled among our other Harmony 3 releases.  

We would still recommend any new users or new projects to move to Harmony 3, as it will be the superset capability and get the attention of new drivers and features.  However we will support and maintain the ability to download the Harmony v2.x release for a long while into the future.
    MikeinAZ
    Administrator
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/07/31 09:47:47 (permalink)
    This is an update, since it has been referred to by another thread.  I hope to avoid confusion while keeping users informed.

There is an update in Harmony 2.0x (nominally v2.07) still planned, but it will NOT have any expanded coverage of micro controllers.  It may have some bug fixes, but it is primarily intended to support some wireless products and drivers.  This will not cover much of the PIC32 devices.

For all users that are looking for additional support, we do suggest moving to Harmony 3.  A number of the elements are now in production status, and we have new content being added on roughly a quarterly basis.  Yes, there are new elements since we have a lot of new product families including Cortex cores including MPU support.  Anyway, Harmony 3 is where new support will be driven.

You can feel free to put in support tickets or suggestions in the forums, on Github or our ticket system.  We do have a system in place to drive the latter 2 to developers directly.  Forum suggestions are ad hoc.
    tixmcprods
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: PIC32MZ EF and Harmony 3: When will this be out (not "Beta Release")? 2019/08/01 04:01:41 (permalink)
    Hello,
    Yes my test project is not compiling well !
    Will try later missing libraries, and perhaps will port my 2.06 drivers to 3 :)
    Thanks !
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5