Lubuntu 18.04 LTS: Install/Uninstall, USB Problems
Well I'm posting this here in the hopes that a developer sees it, since it seems like "linux is not supported" will be the response from a support ticket.
A few weeks ago, installed MPLAB X v5.10 to read a PIC16F877A using ICD3. Install was straightforward and the software fired right up, but as usual in Lubuntu, only icons for the IDE and IPE were visible. (Lubuntu seems to be "quirky" about .desktop files but this is another story.)
So MPLABX v5.10 was running quickly. Getting the ICD3 to work was not so simple. Ended up editing
/lib/systemd/system/systemd-udevd.service and changing IPAddressDeny=any to IPAddressAllow=localhost and rebooting. This seemed to work, and I was able to read the chip. But Lubuntu seemed to think this may be a "system problem" (every time after login, an un-provoked system crash report was displayed) and (I believe) it reset the entry back to IPAddressDeny=any. It did that twice, and I corrected it twice.
Then MPLABX v5.15 was released, so I installed it. Went through the typical routine of importing config from previous version and it was working fine. So I decided to uninstall v5.10, which was a very bad idea. There was no icon for the uninstaller, so I navigated to /opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.10/ and ran the ./Uninstall_MPLAB_X_IDE_v5.10 as sudo. It went through the typical motions of uninstalling and completed successfully without error. The v5.15 folder was still there and v5.10 gone, so I tried to open MPLABX and it (.desktop launcher) complained of no target. So I opened the MPLAB_IDE.desktop file, and it showed the target as /usr/bin/mplab_ide. Looking in there, no mplab* files existed. Okay, so maybe /usr/bin/mplab_ide was a hard link to /opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.15/mplab_platform/bin/mplab_ide and recreating this would work. Sadly, no, it would not launch. i was forced to remove v5.15 and reinstall. Looking at a working /usr/bin/mplab_ide now, it is actually a large shell script, perhaps the target of the link.
Ok so bullet-point list of improvements that can be made:
* Only ever saw two icons in the start menu (under "Other"): MPLAB IDE and MPLAB IPE. Running the uninstaller required manual intervention.
* Lack of USB support, requiring a manual edit of systemd-udevd.service (which the OS complained about and tried to "fix" itself by un-doing it.)
* Uninstalling v5.10 deleted the /usr/bin/mplab_xxx files (at least) and thus, broke the v5.15 install, requiring a complete reinstall.