Hot!Lubuntu 18.04 LTS: Install/Uninstall, USB Problems

Author
rdtsc
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 0
2019/03/10 06:38:30 (permalink)

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS: Install/Uninstall, USB Problems

Well I'm posting this here in the hopes that a developer sees it, since it seems like "linux is not supported" will be the response from a support ticket.

A few weeks ago, installed MPLAB X v5.10 to read a PIC16F877A using ICD3.  Install was straightforward and the software fired right up, but as usual in Lubuntu, only icons for the IDE and IPE were visible.  (Lubuntu seems to be "quirky" about .desktop files but this is another story.)

So MPLABX v5.10 was running quickly.  Getting the ICD3 to work was not so simple.  Ended up editing 
/lib/systemd/system/systemd-udevd.service and changing IPAddressDeny=any to IPAddressAllow=localhost and rebooting.  This seemed to work, and I was able to read the chip.  But Lubuntu seemed to think this may be a "system problem" (every time after login, an un-provoked system crash report was displayed) and (I believe) it reset the entry back to IPAddressDeny=any.  It did that twice, and I corrected it twice.

Then MPLABX v5.15 was released, so I installed it.  Went through the typical routine of importing config from previous version and it was working fine.  So I decided to uninstall v5.10, which was a very bad idea.  There was no icon for the uninstaller, so I navigated to /opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.10/ and ran the ./Uninstall_MPLAB_X_IDE_v5.10 as sudo.  It went through the typical motions of uninstalling and completed successfully without error.  The v5.15 folder was still there and v5.10 gone, so I tried to open MPLABX and it (.desktop launcher) complained of no target.  So I opened the MPLAB_IDE.desktop file, and it showed the target as /usr/bin/mplab_ide.  Looking in there, no mplab* files existed.  Okay, so maybe /usr/bin/mplab_ide was a hard link to /opt/microchip/mplabx/v5.15/mplab_platform/bin/mplab_ide and recreating this would work.  Sadly, no, it would not launch.  i was forced to remove v5.15 and reinstall.  Looking at a working /usr/bin/mplab_ide now, it is actually a large shell script, perhaps the target of the link.

Ok so bullet-point list of improvements that can be made:
* Only ever saw two icons in the start menu (under "Other"): MPLAB IDE and MPLAB IPE.  Running the uninstaller required manual intervention.
* Lack of USB support, requiring a manual edit of systemd-udevd.service (which the OS complained about and tried to "fix" itself by un-doing it.)
* Uninstalling v5.10 deleted the /usr/bin/mplab_xxx files (at least) and thus, broke the v5.15 install, requiring a complete reinstall.

3 Replies Related Threads

cobusve
    • Total Posts : 493
    Re: Lubuntu 18.04 LTS: Install/Uninstall, USB Problems 2019/05/17 13:46:54 (permalink)
    I am also struggling to get MPLAB-X to see the ICD3 on Ubuntu. We tried your change to /lib/systemd/system/systemd-udevd.service  but this had no effect. Still cannot get the ICD3 to show up.

Can you recall if you perhaps touched something else, installed a USB driver or something?

Also take a look at https://www.microforum.cc/ - a great resource for information on PIC and AVR microcontrollers and embedded programming in general. You can also post questions to the experts there.
    rdtsc
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re: Lubuntu 18.04 LTS: Install/Uninstall, USB Problems 2019/05/18 07:42:35 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I don't think Linux deals with drivers the same as Windows does, especially when it comes to USB.  Nothing extra was done, aside from installing the software.  Perhaps a restart.

There is a tool in MPLABX to test the USB connectivity.  I'm away from that laptop at the moment but I'd suggest searching for that in the menus.  It produces a long report, perhaps that information will be helpful.
    jtemples
    عُضْوٌ جَدِيد
    • Total Posts : 11243
    Re: Lubuntu 18.04 LTS: Install/Uninstall, USB Problems 2019/05/18 11:01:05 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    am also struggling to get MPLAB-X to see the ICD3 on Ubuntu.

I just brought up a new Ubuntu 18.10 system, installed X 5.15, attached my ICD3 to a PIC18 WDK board, clicked "Debug main project", and everything "just worked".  I then tried the ICD3 with an Explorer 16/32, and that also worked.  What didn't work was the PKOB on the Explorer, but it showed up as "yellow" anyway.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5