Helpful ReplyHot!Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!!

Author
Cnm918
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
2019/03/09 04:25:58 (permalink)

Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!!

Hi all,
So I'm a newbie here and I'm really interested about learning about these microcontrollers. Currently I'm studying mechatronics at my university and I have a basic knowledge about electronics. Now the problem I've faced is.... , I don't know from where should I have to start learning about them.

To find that out, I went through some old posts. But I didn't get a clear picture. So if someone can give me a Road Map or some steps about what should I learn first, which development board should I buy like that, that would be a Great help!.

Here are some problems that I have faced after going through so many different forums, posts and other tutorials as a list

1) Do I have to learn assembly language in 2019? (By the way I'm ok with C )

2) I have seen some development boards like this (http://logifind.com/mcu-d...ocontroller-1197.html) but so many members in this forum has mentioned that 16f877 is an ancient microcontrollers. So what should I buy?

3) Many members have suggested the curiosity development board series but can you be more specific about one? There are Soooo manyyyy products(boards, ide's, compilers, configurators etc. ) in microchip official site and I don't know what to read , what to buy and what I not to read or buy.

Can someone get me out of this messy situation??? That would be really great

katela
  • Total Posts : 1186
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/10 20:47:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Muhammad Qaisar Ali 2019/03/12 06:35:38
+3 (3)
Cnm918
Hi all,
Now the problem I've faced is.... , I don't know from where should I have to start learning about them.

To find that out, I went through some old posts. But I didn't get a clear picture. So if someone can give me a Road Map or some steps about what should I learn first, which development board should I buy like that, that would be a Great help!.

You can't really learn from old posts, it can be confusing, you need to start from the beginning and progress step by step.
If you can afford, buy a good book or look for some online tutorials or videos on YouTube that interest you, buy a development board to practice new new learned skills.
Cnm918
2) I have seen some development boards like this (http://logifind.com/mcu-d...ocontroller-1197.html) but so many members in this forum has mentioned that 16f877 is an ancient microcontrollers. So what should I buy?

Stay away from ancient microcontrollers or development boards based on ancient PICs, there is nothing of great values to use them. There are so many things they have been improved overtime, new tools like MCC don't support these ancients PICs if you might consider using it, newer PICs have more features and generally cheaper than old ones.

Cnm918

3) Many members have suggested the curiosity development board series but can you be more specific about one? There are Soooo manyyyy products(boards, ide's, compilers, configurators etc. ) in microchip official site and I don't know what to read , what to buy and what I not to read or buy.

It's all depend on the size of your pocket, if you can afford, you can buy the explora 8 with a PICKit4, but for entry level, the cheaper but still good is the curiosity as suggested.
For 8-bit microcontrollers (which I assume you're gonna start with), you can buy the Curiosity DM164137 or the Curiosity HPC

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
pcbbc
  • Total Posts : 796
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/10 21:05:10 (permalink)
+3 (3)
1) Do I have to learn assembly language in 2019? (By the way I'm ok with C

Certainly it is NOT necessary, and you will be fine for 99% of projects with just C. Although when coding for an 8-bit device with limited resources you need a firm understanding of the limits that imposes (avoid floating point if possible, and never use it in interrupt routines, size variables appropriately, etc).

But at least some knowledge of assembler is no bad thing when doing embedded programming. Probably assembler experience is something you will acquire as you progress (if necessary or you are explicitly interested in it), and definately not something you need to start out with learning.
Tim Cruise
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/10 23:49:28 (permalink)
-9 (9)
Cnm918
Hi all,
So I'm a newbie here and I'm really interested about learning about these microcontrollers. Currently I'm studying mechatronics at my university and I have a basic knowledge about electronics. Now the problem I've faced is.... , I don't know from where should I have to start learning about them.

You should also improve your written English language.  LoL: LoL   There are so many mistakes in your paragraph.  The corrected one is here:
  1. I'm really interested in learning about these microcontrollers.
  2. I'm studying mechatronics at university
  3. the problem, that I am facing, is
  4. I don't know from where I should start learning them.  LoL: LoL
jack@kksound
code tags!
  • Total Posts : 3156
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/11 11:33:41 (permalink)
+10 (10)
HKPhysicist
Cnm918
Hi all,

You should also improve your written English language.  LoL: LoL   There are so many mistakes in your paragraph.  The corrected one is here:
  1. I'm really interested in learning about these microcontrollers.
  2. I'm studying mechatronics at university
  3. the problem, that I am facing, is
  4. I don't know from where I should start learning them.  LoL: LoL

The grammar police? Really? How pernicious. Be helpful or go away, please.
PStechPaul
  • Total Posts : 2159
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/11 16:31:28 (permalink)
+5 (5)
The Gooligum tutorials are probably still a good starting point. The free ones mostly use assembly, but have some projects using XC8:

https://www.gooligum.com.au/PIC-tutorials/baseline-PIC-tutorial

Purchasing the evaluation board might be a good idea, but you should also learn how to build simple prototypes on soldered perf-board or plug-in proto-boards. You can use SMT components:

kjo
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/23 07:33:23 (permalink)
PStechPaul
The Gooligum tutorials are probably still a good starting point. The free ones mostly use assembly, but have some projects using XC8: https://www.gooligum.com.au/PIC-tutorials/baseline-PIC-tutorial 

FWIW, I’ll second this recommendation. Start here and grow from it. Your time will be better spent.
Gort2015
Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Total Posts : 3118
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/23 09:03:21 (permalink)
+5 (9)
We don't take kindly to Spelling Police (No Forum does)

Look into the DSC (Digital Signal Controller) CK chips.
These are the latest 16bit chips from MC, released from 2018 onwards.

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0
+ ST:Continues, "What Ships are Made for", Q's back.
Gort2015
Klaatu Barada Nikto
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/23 09:09:02 (permalink)

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
Gort2015
Klaatu Barada Nikto
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/23 16:40:19 (permalink)
Why the negatives?

Gort2015
Klaatu Barada Nikto
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/24 11:14:54 (permalink)
0 (2)
Negatives have gone on this thread.

PStechPaul
  • Total Posts : 2159
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/24 18:56:33 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I gave you some thumbs up to counter the negatives. Looks like someone gave you another. Is Dario back?

katela
  • Total Posts : 1186
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/24 18:59:37 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Looks like there is somebody with another agenda.

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
Gort2015
Klaatu Barada Nikto
Re: Learning about microcontrollers as a beginner in 2019 !!!help!!! 2019/03/24 19:04:14 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Thanks Paul, I knew I had some friends.

I never had any arguments with Dario.

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5