• AVR Freaks

Hot!MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low.

Author
arigead
  • Total Posts : 408
  • Reward points : 0
2019/03/07 11:08:26 (permalink)

MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low.

I have to uninstall MPLAB-X IDE and reinstall at lease once a day. I'm running on Linux so I know that if I raise the issue I'll get told that it's not supported. That's great but just for info here's my experience with the IDE. The IDE gets confused by it's own interface to the PICKIT-3 that's an official Microchip product which is confusing your own IDE. How bad is that? So because the IDE gets so confused by the USB Device the only way to get things to work is to totally uninstall the IDE and reinstall it. That's usually good for a few hours, but don't move anything.

So I'm doing that reinstall dance today and I notice that V5.15 is available. Perhaps that improves the situation. Delete all previous data in ~/.mplab-ide and install the new version. Open an existing project. Guess what it can't build it because the makefiles generated by the previous IDE are bad.
That's not a problem copy the source code out of the existing project and delete the project. Create a brand spanking new project on the new version of MPLAB-X. Open the project, Add the source files back into the new V5.15 project and build. Guess what it can't build the project make files it just created.
So the basic step of creating a project and building it can't be completed, never mind getting to the PICKIT-3 step of flashing the resulting binary into a target device.

And yes I know that the Microchip IDE ain't supported on possibly the most wide spread embedded OS. Starting to wonder what was wrong with emacs and make. And starting to think I have to find a new silicone vendor.

15 Replies Related Threads

crennolet
    • Total Posts : 129
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/07 11:29:39 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Please tell me what distribution you are running ("Linux" doesn't cut it).
    You could also say precisely what's going wrong, but that's your call. I'm mostly interested in knowing what distributions don't work...

For the record, I'm a happy linux and mplabx user, and, although I've had "fun" on occasion, 5.15 is working reasonably well for me. It even seems to let me turn the "ICD/Pickit3 supplies power" setting without restarting the IDE. At least, so far. Every project I open has the debugging tools displayed exactly as expected.

I'm running on Debian 9, fully up to date, on a 64-bit CPU with 32-bit libraries. I haven't tried it yet on OpenSuSE, but probably will in the fullness of time -- and I expect it will work just fine, as it always has.

So perhaps it's something peculiar to your environment -- and god knows it's possible to set up peculiar environments in Linux.
    arigead
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/07 12:05:12 (permalink)
    Oops! I might have forgotten anessential step off my check list.

If you add files to a project you HAVE to restart the application to build them. Oh well back to 5.10 for the moment and PICKIT-3 working.

On distro I move around a bit but I've always encountered the same problems. libusb probably is same same on most. Currently bouncing between OpenSUSE Leap and Tumbleweed. This machine Tumbleweed, so recent versions of everything as it's a rolling release. I like Gnome so OpenSUSE has been my goto for a while
    jtemples
    عُضْوٌ جَدِيد
    • Total Posts : 11248
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/07 12:39:33 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    I've been using X on Linux Mint since 3.x, currently using 5.10.  I've never had to uninstall/reinstall, nor have I had any issues that I haven't also had on the Windows version.  ICD3 and PKOB debuggers work fine.

it can't build it because the makefiles generated by the previous IDE are bad

Did you try a clean build?
    crennolet
    • Total Posts : 129
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/09 10:36:19 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    OK, I upgraded my openSuSE box to Leap, and installed mplabx and compilers (in free mode), copied a few of my projects over, built them, tried a few simple things, debugged a project (PIC24FJ64GA002 with Pickit3) that I happened to have handy, and, after the usual teething problems, it's all working about as well as you could expect. Certainly no instances of what you describe. (Plenty of other weirdness, but that's par for the course, and none of the things I see would prevent someone from using the IDE in that environment if they have any understanding of linux things.)

It looks like this is an issue that may be related to your particular environment. I did notice that mplabx (or some subtask) expects "/sbin/mount" to exist. But mount is /usr/bin/mount in this distribution. Created a link and that problem went away. Why mplabx is mounting anything is a mystery, but I have other things to do.

If I were you, I'd look at things like strange file names, not having mplabx and compilers installed in the standard places, having /opt mounted in a "different" way (such as on a USB disk -- that frequently causes troubles, and not just in linux.)
    Tim Cruise
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/09 11:14:16 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    arigead
    Oops! I might have forgotten anessential step off my check list.

If you add files to a project you HAVE to restart the application to build them. Oh well back to 5.10 for the moment and PICKIT-3 working.

On distro I move around a bit but I've always encountered the same problems. libusb probably is same same on most. Currently bouncing between OpenSUSE Leap and Tumbleweed. This machine Tumbleweed, so recent versions of everything as it's a rolling release. I like Gnome so OpenSUSE has been my goto for a while

Do you install and run the Oracle JRE or the OpenJDK?  They don't believe the same. pink: pink
    Antipodean
    • Total Posts : 1724
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/09 11:23:05 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    crennolet
    It looks like this is an issue that may be related to your particular environment. I did notice that mplabx (or some subtask) expects "/sbin/mount" to exist. But mount is /usr/bin/mount in this distribution. Created a link and that problem went away. Why mplabx is mounting anything is a mystery, but I have other things to do.

Probably so it can mount the USB license stick for compilers that can be used for PRO versions of the compilers.

Do not use my alias in your message body when replying, your message will disappear ...

Alan
    OscarTheGrouch
    • Total Posts : 306
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/09 12:00:55 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Just installed 5.15 on Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia. Opened old project and it asked to update project to new format, seemed to work OK.
    Before I had trouble with 5.10 no files in project tree. Never had issues with prior versions.
    Hope you get things working.
    OtG
    jtemples
    عُضْوٌ جَدِيد
    • Total Posts : 11248
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/09 13:00:04 (permalink)
    +2 (2)

Do you install and run the Oracle JRE or the OpenJDK?  They don't believe the same.

MPLAB does not require and does not use any external Java installation.
    PsySc0rpi0n
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/10 08:36:52 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I'm also using MPLAB X IDE 5.15 in Debian 9.8, 64 bit and looks like working fine despite the fact that my knowledge is very limited and I'm only using the very basic of MPLAB which is to create a project, add some .c and/or .h files, compile and load it onto my AVRMega4808 chip.

Greetings
    Psy
    syntax
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/10 09:46:20 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Using MPLAB X just from its beginning. From many years also on Ubuntu. Historically one of the previous MPLAB X versions had problem with PicKit, but last two or tree versions work perfectly. Also no Ubuntu version had problems. In your shoes I would be curious to see if the MPLABX express works.
    arigead
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/03/11 12:40:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the pointers. I might try this on Ubuntu and see if that makes a difference on that distro. I don't install Java at all and assume that MPLAB-X bundles whatever it needs into the installer.
    cobusve
    • Total Posts : 493
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/05/17 13:51:00 (permalink)
    I am unable to get it to see the ICD3 or PicKit3 on Ubuntu

Also take a look at https://www.microforum.cc/ - a great resource for information on PIC and AVR microcontrollers and embedded programming in general. You can also post questions to the experts there.
    NorthGuy
    • Total Posts : 5544
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/05/17 14:14:17 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I have Debian 8 and so far all versions of MPLAB X I tried installed Ok and worked.
    Les
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/05/19 13:35:05 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Running linux.mint 19.1 AMD 64 bit ... MPLABX 5.15 Install , build, run, debug with PK3  no new problems to report ,
    Either OS .. Win / linux... With most X versions , PK3 has to be plugged and two leds on before X is launched ... if you forget , 'refresh debug tool status ' will usually find it ..
    post edited by Les - 2019/05/19 14:08:03
    follower
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: MPLAB-X on Linux just how much worse can it get? Well V5.15 is a fresh low. 2019/05/22 09:32:19 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    crennolet
    I did notice that mplabx (or some subtask) expects "/sbin/mount" to exist. But mount is /usr/bin/mount in this distribution. Created a link and that problem went away. Why mplabx is mounting anything is a mystery, but I have other things to do.

As mentioned up thread, this is due to license checks (in the `xclm` binary) looking for mounted USB flash drives.

If you're using the "feature limited" version of the compiler, it seems like you can just delete (or move/rename) the `xclm` binary which would remove the need for the symlink. You may even see a build performance improvement because AFAICT this and other `xclm`-related checks are made for *every* *single* *file* compiled.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5