• AVR Freaks

Hot!Adding new devices to Microstick II (and other PKOB 3 based boards)

Author
Howard Long
  • Total Posts : 796
  • Reward points : 0
2019/02/20 02:53:56 (permalink)
5 (4)

Adding new devices to Microstick II (and other PKOB 3 based boards)

The Microstick II supports a number of 3.3v 28 pin devices, but it's not been updated to support some of the newer pin compatible devices. In my case, I was interested in using the PIC24FJ256GA702.

When you try to select the debugger, it's marked in red, i.e. unsupported, in the Hardware Tools pane of the Project Properties Conf category.

As PIC24 powered PKOBs are based on the PICkit3 (PK3OB or PKOB3), but lack high voltage programming functionality, so should be able to be used with any device that PICkit3 supports with low voltage programming. (Note: a few newer boards are PKOB4 which I believe are Atmel based, and this post doesn't cover those).

These are the steps I took to enable additional devices on MPLAB X 5.10:

o Close MPLAB X 5.10

o Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v5.10\mplab_platform\mdbcore\modules\com-microchip-mplab-mdbcore-pkobskde.jar as a zip archive (WinRAR will open it directly, you may need to rename with .zip extension for other zip archivers)

o Drill down to com\microchip\mplab\mdbcore\pkobskde and open the contents of pkobskde.platformTool.xml in a text editor.

o Add the desired device(s) into pkobskde.platformTool.xml and add back into the archive.

o Clear the MPLAB X code cache: in Windows this is achieved by deleting the directory C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\mplab_ide

o Restart MPLAB X 5.10

You should now be able to select the debugger in the Hardware Tools for your device.

1 Reply Related Threads

JTechno
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Reward points : 0
    Re: Adding new devices to Microstick II (and other PKOB 3 based boards) 2020/07/19 06:57:28 (permalink)
    Thank you, I've found this very useful.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5