Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
jlawton11
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points : 0
2019/02/12 14:03:31 (permalink)

MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable

I'm using version 3.65 (but I believe it's quite common on later versions too), has anyone else observed this? If you close a project and later re-open it (and it may not even take THAT) when you rebuild the assembly then you go look at what was assembled you'll find some symbols' values have changed (I don't know what they all go TO, I've directly seen some that went to zero - especially some of my equates which I gave up using but I don't know that's always the case). Heck on a PIC16F1717 I've even seen LATE and WPUD show up in RED instead of blue (then go right back after reopening)! This just absolutely TRASHES the code, sometimes I'll take something where the debug is WORKING and I'll redo the same code in production with Programmer-to-Go and some of the working features are suddenly missing! This is ENTIRELY UNACCEPTABLE, but I'm wondering if there's a reliable third-party assembler, even if I lose the debug ability at least I MIGHT be able to burn something that works! (I thought about the free compiler - lord knows what undiscovered peculiarities IT has - but doesn't it use the same assembler anyway?) I have a ticket on this which Support has been busy trying to ignore for the past three weeks, they're saying my problem is UNREPRODUCIBLE but OF COURSE that's the case, good grief!!

42 Replies Related Threads

NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 16886
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 14:10:04 (permalink)
    Why V3.65?
    Especially if you are having trouble with it.
    jlawton11
    Starting Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 14:22:04 (permalink)
    I had a "cycle" of 4 projects when I started using this tool a couple years ago. Running around changing dev environments in the hope of locating something that only makes errors that you just don't happen to see right away, and likely trading those for the ones you DID see, just doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble it causes! Besides this project is TINY (less than 2kwords), THAT shouldn't tax anything! Show me the errata identifying the issue in this release and its absence in the NEXT release then yes I can see it's worth switching, but in the absence of evidence I'd rather spend my time getting out projects that I actually CAN finish, otherwise I'm just another rat on the wheel...
    qhb
    Superb Member
    • Total Posts : 8712
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 14:24:31 (permalink)
    Microchip aren't going to bother searching for hard to reproduce problems in obsolete versions of the software, so you're screwed.

jlawton11
    Starting Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 14:49:11 (permalink)
    Right. How long does it take for a "new" release to get obsolete, until the next one comes out, 2-3 weeks? So you really think somehow I have to demonstrate that this problem WAS NEVER FIXED? OK fine, can you tell me EXACTLY what was the last date/time you submitted an issue, got ignored because what you were complaining about was an "obsolete" tool, then you resubmitted against the new tool AND IT ACTUALLY GOT FIXED? Didn't think so, I rest my case your honor...
    qhb
    Superb Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 14:56:14 (permalink)
    I'm not defending MPLABX, I think it's crap. Just pointing out how corporates work.
    dan1138
    • Total Posts : 2987
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 16:17:55 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    qhb
    I'm not defending MPLABX, I think it's crap. Just pointing out how corporations work.

@qhb, How tight are you going to wind up this troll?
    qhb
    Superb Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 16:32:22 (permalink)
    qhb
    Superb Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 16:32:22 (permalink)
    (deleted duplicate)
    post edited by qhb - 2019/02/12 16:40:16
    Gort2015
    Klaatu Barada Nikto
    • Total Posts : 2959
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 16:36:15 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    Self modifing code.
    It's the Chinese hacking your code.

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0
    + ST:Continues, "What Ships are Made for", Q's back.
    Gort2015
    Klaatu Barada Nikto
    • Total Posts : 2959
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 16:51:42 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    Assembler or inline Assembler?

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0
    + ST:Continues, "What Ships are Made for", Q's back.
    jlawton11
    Starting Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 17:16:50 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    The regular garden variety. I admit to coming from the viewpoint that I'll take a look at somebody's compiler after they can show me their assembler at least works, which this one clearly doesn't. Anyhow doesn't the compiler need to have a functional assembler to generate real code? Don't see how that road leads anywhere useful either...
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 17:21:37 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    jlawton11
    Right. How long does it take for a "new" release to get obsolete, until the next one comes out, 2-3 weeks? So you 

For MPLabX that would be 3 months per release. 
    I am using 4.20 .  I am using C not ASM, so have never seen your issue.  If You have the Issue on Microchip latest Release, they may have an interest.  Additionally, I do not recall a similar Complaint on the Forum.
    jlawton11
    Starting Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 17:38:50 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    I believe you're right, nobody complained about instability in the assembler symbol values as far as I know. Also nobody else complained that you can't use the pin that has ZCD on it on the 1713 (probably among others) as a general analog input because the circuitry restricts the voltage range. Also nobody else reported that you can't use internal pullups om the 1618 because as soon as you activate the master enable it screws up the range of all the analog inputs. How long would you like me to go on with this game? I guess there's a lot of features that a lot of other people aren't careful enough about using to have reported problems with them. I've reported all this AND MORE and do you think these twits will acknowledge these issues many of which frankly you don't need much more than a DMM to verify for yourself? Since when does that mean they're supposed to be "figments of my imagination"? Sorry but that dog won't hunt!
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 20:47:18 (permalink)
    I am just another user Like YOU and everyone that was trying to help you. None of use are from Microchip.  And with your attitude they are NOT likely to chime in.

1. I told you had not seen it as information for You.
    2. I hope You reported all those other issues To Microchip so they can fix them or put them in the Errata.
    3. MPlabX is Bug Ridden.  Especially in the area you are in V 3.20 to around 4.00
    4. You Do not want to update, and they do not fix old version. So there you are.
    5. IF the Problem just popped up after working Ok for A Year or Years, Then Clear the Cache.

Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
    dan1138
    • Total Posts : 2987
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 20:51:16 (permalink)
    0 (2)
    And the troll get wound a bit more.
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 21:08:19 (permalink)
    0 (2)
    dan1138
    And the troll get wound a bit more.

I have my own Problems under my own Bridge.
    The Advice is Solid, He can take it or leave it as he chooses.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

Better?
    jlawton11
    Starting Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 21:21:49 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    1. Thank you!
    2. I did and they summarily refused to examine or give credibility to it, ANY OF IT. (Over multiple reports!) This is the most maddening part of dealing with these people...
    3. This is the first time I've heard about any particular run as being "bug ridden". It would be of great benefit to the community if they'd actually take reports about problems with specific tools, heck THEY OUGHT TO PUT THEM ON A LIST EVEN IF JUST TO MARK THEM "reported not examined". I'm considering what next, will deal with that more below.
    4. I'm not inclined to try every little nano-release JUST to learn that the problem's still there, I've got lost of fish to fry! What the heck's wrong with a little initiative on MCHP's part to let us know in some level of detail what actually got fixed? This has been "de rigueur" with professional coding tools for many years, just because their staff is too lazy to report accurately on new releases doesn't actually make it a priority for me to do extra work necessitated by their sloth or incompetency...
    5. The only "caches" are on my browsers and they're fine, I took a look in the help file to see if you could be referring to some other kind of cache but I didn't find anything...

Anyway so my choices right now are 1. new revision IDE, 2. the free MCHP compiler, 3. the Sourceforge gputils assembler running with one of ITS IDEs (unfortunately it won't run with a modern debugger only the obsolete ones but I don't still have any critical bugs pending diagnosis). Since 2 means I've gotta rewrite in C (and it may still be suffering from the bad assembler) my inclination is to try option 3 and see if I can get it to install because "the ol' gut feel" says that having the least MCHP content it therefore has the best chance of success, if not then #1 is next. And no I didn't actually REFUSE to upgrade the IDE version as you suggested, I'm just prioritizing things to make the most of my time, and I don't think I'm doing things THAT Much differently from anyone else here (except for maybe having a bit keener eye for the various analog "travesties" I keep spotting along the way that they always ignore no matter how I report them).
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/12 22:22:12 (permalink)
    Look at the about box on MPLabX. At the bottom there are two folders listed.
    Close MPLabX and delete or rename them.
    When you open the program it will be like you first installed it. It will loss all your windows and projects from the ide. Your project settings will be safe in your projects.

You can install new versions of MPLabX without deleting the old ones.

The 3.xx being bug ridden is my opinion based on a large pic32mz project, and following the forum. I like 4.20. V5.00 was primarily to add Atmel Chips. So I have not taken the time and risk to update that far.

I feel your pain. I did a large Harmony project.
    I started with MPLabX 3.00. The Stack inspector did not work and Harmony was an exception factory. I had a large thread about the quality of microchip support. And I could start again on bluetooth modules. I can’t fix any of it for you. I can only tell you where to put the duct tape.
    jlawton11
    Starting Member
    Re: MPLAB X IDE editor/assembler symbols unstable 2019/02/13 00:12:45 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    Bluetooth, I mean give me a break! Even without getting involved in the dev side you're talking about a real bed of snakes. The "responsible authority" for Bluetooth software was (basically anyway) supposed to be an entity called Cambridge Software Radio or CSR. So after Qualcomm bought CSR there was no further support as far as inquiring about compatibility issues trying to pair modules on two different release levels etc. and now there isn't even any place to leave bug reports. As far as Atmel I've been all over the online copy of the Atmel-ICE manual and I defy anyone to tell me how to hook up to it if I have a custom target board, or what software needs to be looking at which ports through which connectors to actually implement a debugger/development system. As for Harmony I keep in my closet an 11 foot pole - well you've already heard the rest!

I hadn't heard about cache until you mentioned it, it says there's supposed to be a subdir called AppData under my username, I guess that's not a visible directory? If I find it at how large is it gonna get me in trouble? I mean these are tiny projects, they're only pesky because I keep assigning analog inputs to ports on chips that have problems handling analog on THAT pin only then I have to reassign and change it all around again, I guess everyone gets their own special place in hell...
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5