• AVR Freaks

Helpful ReplyHot!NET_PRES_SocketOpen and NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT (solved)

Author
Luca Pascarella
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points : 0
2019/01/27 10:56:09 (permalink)

NET_PRES_SocketOpen and NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT (solved)

I am using NET_PRES_SocketOpen() for a STREAM connection. Everything works perfectly.
Recently, I saw the NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT option in NET_PRES_SKT_T struct of Harmony 2.06.
Is possible to use the same API to open a DATAGRAM connection when NET_PRES is enabled? Edit, Yes it is.

I tried the following simplified code, the connection seems to be estabilished, but toRead is always 0.
case APP_OPEN:
socket = NET_PRES_SocketOpen(0, NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT, IP_ADDRESS_TYPE_IPV4, port, (NET_PRES_ADDRESS *) &addr, NULL);
NET_PRES_SocketWasReset(socket);
if (socket == INVALID_SOCKET) { // Abort operation if no TCP socket is available
    SYS_DEBUG_PRINT(SYS_ERROR_WARNING, "Could not start connection\r\n");
    data.error = APP_RECEIVER_ERROR_OPENING_SOCKET;
    APP_Receiver_SetNewState(APP_ERROR);
}else{
    APP_Receiver_SetNewState(APP_WAIT);
}
break;

case APP_WAIT:
if (NET_PRES_SocketIsConnected(socket))
    APP_Receiver_SetNewState(APP_READ);
break;

case APP_READ:
toRead = NET_PRES_SocketReadIsReady(socket);
break;

Edit.
Of course, it was my mistake. For a client socket the local port is randomly picked in accord to the TCP/IP specifications.
To use a specific port because you want to both transmit and receive datagrams on the given port you must bind it. The following code addressed my issue.

uint16_t local_port = 8080;
NET_PRES_SocketBind(socket, IP_ADDRESS_TYPE_IPV4, local_port, 0);

Luca
post edited by Luca Pascarella - 2019/01/30 02:53:22
rainad
  • Total Posts : 1139
Re: NET_PRES_SocketOpen and NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT 2019/01/28 07:24:30 (permalink)
Are you able to send data to the server socket?
And you see the server sending data back but you cannot read it from the client socket?

Luca Pascarella
Starting Member
Re: NET_PRES_SocketOpen and NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT 2019/01/29 01:10:54 (permalink)
Dear rainad,
I did some more tests and checked my Harmony configuration, as attached.
I am able to transmit UDP packets to my server using both unicast or broadcast addresses. In both cases, my server application running on a desktop receives those UDP packets.

I successfully used the following simplified code in transmission:
case APP_SEND:
if (!isTimeoutedOrDisconnected()) {
    i = NET_PRES_SocketWriteIsReady(socket, length, 0); // This must be called to recall last UDP socket
    index += NET_PRES_SocketWrite(socket, &buffer[index], min(length - index, i));
    if (index >= length) {
        NET_PRES_SocketFlush(socket); // Prevent fragmentation send only full packages
        APP_Receiver_SetNewState(APP_READ);
    }
}
break;

To give more details, all variables are declared static to preserve their values between successive calls.

Unfortunately, the reception has still problems. The following code returns always zero:
read = NET_PRES_SocketReadIsReady(socket);

Currently, I do not have my network equipment to catch packets with Wireshark but I am quite sure that the server transmits correctly (I may wrong) because I am able to send and receive packets between computers in the same network.

In the writing case the NET_PRES_SocketWriteIsReady() must be called before NET_PRES_SocketWrite() to retrieve the current UDP socket. Must be something similar to for the NET_PRES_SocketRead() ?

Luca
post edited by Luca Pascarella - 2019/01/29 01:16:50

Attached Image(s)

rainad
Re: NET_PRES_SocketOpen and NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT 2019/01/29 10:34:23 (permalink)
Hi Luca,

Of course you can test calling directly NET_PRES_SocketRead() but I doubt that anything will change, the NET_PRES_SocketReadIsReady should work.
One simple experiment that I think would be useful is to call the NET_PRES_SocketGetTransportHandle() to get the UDP socket and then investigate directly the corresponding UDP socket with TCPIP_UDP_GetIsReady and call TCPIP_UDP_SocketInfoGet() that will give you more info about the socket status.
Actually, if you have a serial console, there is already a "udpinfo" command - needs to be enabled though - that you can type at run time and will give you the info for that socket.

Another option is to do a test by replacing the calls to NET_PRES_Socket with their corresponding TCPIP_UDP_Socket calls - they match one to one, so they are easy to change - and check if this behaves normally. This way you'll be able to tell if there is a problem at the socket level or in NET_PRES. 

Luca Pascarella
Starting Member
Re: NET_PRES_SocketOpen and NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT 2019/01/29 14:10:41 (permalink)
After I added UDP commands, I discovered with 'udpinfo' that the socket was successfully opened. However, the local was automatically assigned.
>udpinfo
UDP sockets: 10
sktIx: 0, addType: 1, remotePort: 67, localPort: 68, rxQueueSize: 0, txSize: 512
sktIx: 1, addType: 1, remotePort: 30303, localPort: 30303, rxQueueSize: 0, txSize: 512
sktIx: 2, addType: 1, remotePort: 137, localPort: 137, rxQueueSize: 0, txSize: 0
sktIx: 3, addType: 1, remotePort: 123, localPort: 62509, rxQueueSize: 0, txSize: 512
sktIx: 4, addType: 1, remotePort: 53, localPort: 52431, rxQueueSize: 0, txSize: 512
sktIx: 5, addType: 1, remotePort: 8080, localPort: 56841, rxQueueSize: 0, txSize: 512
>

In the log, the latter is my socket and the localPort is 56841 instead of 8080. Indeed, I can receive packets when the port of my server corresponds.

I am opening the datagram connection with following parameters:
uint16_t port = 8080;
socket = NET_PRES_SocketOpen(0, NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_STREAM_CLIENT, IP_ADDRESS_TYPE_IPV4, port, (NET_PRES_ADDRESS *) &addr, NULL);

Where the given port is the remote port, as must be.
I would like to have the same value for the local port, like for the 30303 discover service. Do you have a suggestion for doing this?
rainad
Re: NET_PRES_SocketOpen and NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT 2019/01/29 14:22:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Luca Pascarella 2019/01/30 02:54:34
5 (1)
Yes, after opening the socket just bind it to the local port you want: 
uint16_t local_port = 8080;
NET_PRES_SocketBind(socket, IP_ADDRESS_TYPE_IPV4, local_port, 0);
use 0 for the local address, probably you don't care what interface.

The behavior is normal: when you open a client socket, you specify the remote port and the local one is chosen randomly.

Luca Pascarella
Starting Member
Re: NET_PRES_SocketOpen and NET_PRES_SKT_UNENCRYPTED_DATAGRAM_CLIENT 2019/01/30 02:47:33 (permalink)
I agree, the local port must be randomly picked in accord to the TCP/IP specifications.

After the bind my stupid issue have been addressed.

Luca
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5