Hot!Harmony V3 Came out?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JPortici
  • Total Posts : 726
  • Reward points : 0
2018/12/24 06:11:24 (permalink)

Harmony V3 Came out?

I heard from MARTERS attendees that they tried the V3 beta, then a new plugin recently appeared on MPLABX: Configurator V3  For use with MPLAB Harmony Framework version 3.xx only.

post edited by JPortici - 2018/12/24 07:03:44

26 Replies Related Threads

JPortici
    Harmony V3 Came out? 2018/12/24 07:03:04 (permalink)
    Interesting... You use the configurator to download and manage harmony

Guess that's why i couldn't find a donwload link on the main website, it's store on this github. Maybe this means that we won't need to download the complete framework anymore, just update or get what you need :) And also, contriubtions?
    https://github.com/Microchip-MPLAB-Harmony 

Attached Image(s)

Howard Long
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2018/12/24 08:05:03 (permalink)
    I also noticed this a day or two ago. My concern over this form of distribution is two-fold, assuming it's the only method of distribution.

Firstly, you need to be able to rely on a static redistributable for maintenance purposes.

Secondly, it's highly irritating to find you're missing component(s) when out in the field without decent (or any) internet access.

JPortici
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2018/12/24 08:18:29 (permalink)
    Never mind, it supports only ATSAM devices. And there i was hoping for working USB code for the 32MK
    I wonder if/when there will be support for PIC32, as i saw some interesting new features
    post edited by JPortici - 2018/12/24 08:38:33
    jdeguire
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/01/03 13:53:50 (permalink)
    Very interesting, thanks for finding this!  We're thinking about moving from the MIPS-based to the ARM-based devices in the future, so this is good timing for us.
    RodoPIC
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/01/04 10:13:32 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I was told by a Microchip engineer (local guy) that harmony 3.xx is schedule to be released in the summer (2019). What u see now is as JPortici said. 
    JPortici
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/01/04 10:23:56 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Assuming that release means that PIC32 will be supported... Only 6-8 months then to find out if there is a working usb host stack with a hint of documentation :)?

*reaches devboard drawer*
    *takes out STM32F4-Discovery*
    *shivers because STM32, but at least there are working examples*

I was told that past october would be the month, but i completely understand how delays happen and schedules are only there to be postponed. Happens to all of us :)

Unless in the meantime partial support is added incrementally and you just need to update the selected modules from github
    JPortici
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/06 01:15:51 (permalink)
    https://github.com/Microchip-MPLAB-Harmony/csp/blob/master/release_notes.md

CSP Release v3.2.0
    New Features
    New part support - This release introduces initial support for SAME5x, SAMD5x, SAMA5D2, PIC32MZ EF, PIC32MZ DA, PIC32MK families of 32-bit microcontrollers.

Let's jump on the bandwagon. I'll try to test it tonight (MZ EF and MK)
    friesen
    • Total Posts : 2072
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/06 07:21:39 (permalink)
    sama5d2, really?

Would anyone actually give up gcc or commercial tools for harmony?

Erik Friesen
    JPortici
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/06 07:42:21 (permalink)
    Can't comment on that.
    Meanwhile, PIC32MZ -Z MHC loads
    PIC32MK -> MHC has an error, i think while retrieving defaults.

Sigh. the 32MK is seriously doomed.

Anyway, opened a ticket with the error log, let's see if the new github thing really works and they provide a quick fix that involves me syncronizing a few files. (Or maybe, if i knew why it fails i could fix the problem myself and propose the fix on github)
    nigelwright7557
    • Total Posts : 284
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/18 08:32:41 (permalink)
    They still haven't fixed USB bugs in 2.05 and 2.06.
    I had to go back to 2.04 to get a PIC32MZ USB working right.

JPortici
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/18 08:42:23 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Error with MK was reproduced by support and will be fixed in 3.3
    given the extremely high pace of updates i would expect a week or two at most.

Yes, USB is a mess.. The idea here is to "do things right" and it will take all the time they will need (I was told 2020 before PIC32 support but the powers that be decided to add them in beta, instead).
    Honestly, i believed them when i was told this. Harmony 1 to Harmony 2 was a huge leap forward IMHO but it was still a mess.
    Third time's a charm?

By the way, i have tested the HID example for 32MZ and to my surprise it's 100% the same as before, i've diff'd most of the files and nothing changed (apart from one or two explicit initialization of variables).
    It's still pretty much unreadable as it was before, but it works. I've kept the HID example on for many hours and it was still working.
    Notice that for now there are only a couple of examples for USB and PIC32. I hope this means that there were the two or three that were working and they are busy fixing the remaining portions of the stack for real
    Tim Cruise
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/18 09:39:58 (permalink)
    If you don't mind to pay some more $, try mikroEletronika's Visual TFT or Visual GLCD.  These graphic tools and Microchip's Harmony are similar tools.

However, mikroe's graphic tools are native Windows software while MHC is Java VM which makes it very heavy even on my 6-core AMD 16GB 2400MHz RAM formula one PC.  LoL: LoL
    JPortici
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/18 09:49:24 (permalink)
    3 (1)
    In my case all i want from harmony is working USB, hosts and devices.
    I abandoned Mikroe a long time ago, besides liking mplabx a lot more as an ide (shocking!) i really really really didn't like not having the source for the libraries. Can't investigate what's happening when the libraries don't produce the expected result.

Also, PIC32MK is not supported by them. Neither by microchip at the moment, but at least i know for sure that MCHP support WILL be there

EDIT: The day after.
    Sure enough, 3.2.1 fixed the issues with MK and now i can create a project.
    No USB yet, but it was so seriously broken in harmony 2 that it was completely unusable. Also couldn't create the driver for the second port (no words.)
    I prefer to wait and have something working, but see: They are working on it.

Other notes: I played around and it seems i still can't change system frequency at run time with harmony (can do it by hand of course)
    There are some nuances in the modules. The clock auto configurator is broken, the updater let me update one module at a time (very time consuming) and other little things.. Wonder if i can submit the bugs in some other way different than opening a ticket for every little thing.
    post edited by JPortici - 2019/03/19 05:54:03
    arpananand
    • Total Posts : 416
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/19 20:25:26 (permalink)
    Jack_M

Other notes: I played around and it seems i still can't change system frequency at run time with harmony (can do it by hand of course)
    There are some nuances in the modules. The clock auto configurator is broken, the updater let me update one module at a time (very time consuming) and other little things.. Wonder if i can submit the bugs in some other way different than opening a ticket for every little thing.

what all issues you have observed in Harmony 3.2.1 so far? can you post in some detail please.
    JPortici
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/20 00:44:49 (permalink)
    Disclaimer: Again, i don't use Harmony, or MCC, or ASF, or STM32CUBE or ANY FRAMEWORK for peripheral drivers.
    Whatever i can write i write my own.

I could use the timer drivers instead if this meant that i can change the board clock on the spot, for power down modes but as i said it seems it's not possible -for now-, based on how simillar the code looks from harmony 2.

I use the framework for the things i can't do on my own, namely usb, network and why not, graphics, but of the three i just do usb (I do small B/W screens on my own though)
    plus of course the debug trace. That is handy.

So my use of harmony is VERY limited and the issues i have observed so far are in the configurator itself.. it feels very "alpha", not beta, and there are issues that need to be addressed now. Small issues, mainly graphical and user interface, but i know from experience that if these are delayed to the point where there are only small things left to do, a ton of code is built around these little things that it's very difficult to solve them.

in the downloader:
    - There must be a lot of blocking code, the whole thing freezes while downloading and installing packages
    - I can't update more than one package at a time. Given the above it can take as long as 20 minutes to update all the framework with me checking all the time to see if it has finished. This has to be addressed NOW.

in the configurator (which by the way, big thumbs up for the dedicated window mode :) ):
    - The guy doing the graphics must have been using windows classic X until the yesterday. Jokes aside, I don't want a shiny and bloated user interface! But i think these are really the primitives with all the default values, including font sizes.
    - I think that the BSP editor is broken, changing the settings doesn't do anything in the editor or in the pin manager
    - I think that the clock configurator is broken, it calculates the correct clock settings, but the displayed values always use the FRC and the red light comes on. This on the PIC32MK1024GPE100, i haven't tested other controllers as the default matched the board configuration.
    - Other little things like lists and tree views with only one element.. i haven't counted them all

the generated code, for now i've only adapted the HID device demo from the PIC32 EF SK to the olimex PIC32_EMZ64 board (by the way, i wish microchip added it to the supported boards, it's really cheap and has a lot of goodies in it)

arpananand
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/20 02:24:31 (permalink)
    - I think that the clock configurator is broken, it calculates the correct clock settings, but the displayed values always use the FRC and the red light comes on. This on the PIC32MK1024GPE100, i haven't tested other controllers as the default matched the board configuration.

can you tell what system frequency output did you try and it showed red light? Also, by default FRC oscillator is selected, but you can manually change it to POSC and rest of the things should work.
    JPortici
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/20 05:44:20 (permalink)
    arpananand
    can you tell what system frequency output did you try and it showed red light? Also, by default FRC oscillator is selected, but you can manually change it to POSC and rest of the things should work.

what i'm saying is that when i change it the displayed frequency doesn't change..

but wait, today i see that there is an update for MHC, which wasn't there yesterday.
    I have updated MHC to 3.2.1 and now the clock configuration works ;)
    arpananand
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/20 07:49:19 (permalink)
    great
    Tim Cruise
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re: Harmony V3 Came out? 2019/03/23 10:22:03 (permalink)
    I think Harmony 3 is already out for download, but is it good for production?  Smile: Smile

https://microchip-mplab-harmony.github.io/
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5