MPLAB X IDE will not connect to ICD 4

Author
Carsten22
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
2018/11/09 11:31:31 (permalink)

MPLAB X IDE will not connect to ICD 4

I might be missing something but I am having this same problem and have not seen any clear solutions.  I just recently began using the ICD 4 and it was a little flaky at first and then seemed to settle in.  Have seen flakiness in previous microchip programmer/debuggers so giving it a kick seemed not unusual. Now I can't communicate with it at all.  It would sometimes and sometimes not show the serial number of the ICD 4, which appears to say it has communicated with the device.  The blue LEDs are constantly on.  I am using the usb cable that came with the ICD 4.  I am using MPLAB X IDE v5.05 running on Windows 10 Home version. Have updated it to the most recent revision.  

The Microchip web page for the ICD4  doesn't offer any solutions.  It does have a document about Uninstalling Incorrect USB Device Drivers.  Its from 2011 and the drivers it refers to as incorrect are not not the current drivers windows uses.

I have tried connecting to various USB ports, reinstalling drivers, closing MPLAB and restarting, powering down and restarting both the ICD 4 and computer.  Can't run the self test because it can't connect.

The ICD 4 manual  has some troubleshooting tips but can't do anything if MPLAB does not see the device.  It has a section for invoking the bootload mode.  Does not work because MPLAB  it does not see the ICD 4 in bootload mode (purple LEDs).  The next section 4.4.3 comes with dire warnings. EMERGENCY BOOT FIRMWARE RECOVERY UTILITY FOR for use in rare situations, use only if it does not work on any other machine.  I will try other machines first.

I have seen other posts but none with any clear solutions, just lucky anecdotal solutions.  If I find a solution I will post it so that others don't have to go through the hours I have spent on this.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
post edited by Carsten22 - 2018/11/09 11:41:40

4 Replies Related Threads

Jim Nickerson
    User 452
    • Total Posts : 5447
    Re: MPLAB X IDE will not connect to ICD 4 2018/11/09 11:43:55 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Maybe you could give MpLab X 5.10 a try.
    MHS
    • Total Posts : 353
    Re: MPLAB X IDE will not connect to ICD 4 2018/11/09 12:57:33 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Try running the installer as administrator. Maybe a driver issue. Windows 10 is strict about permissions and drivers. Maybe you should uninstall the driver first.

You should also make sure that it does enumerate properly. Usbview utility is useful there.
    Carsten22
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: MPLAB X IDE will not connect to ICD 4 2018/11/09 17:44:31 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Thank you guys for the help. 

Not sure if I have a definitive result or not. Will see if the ICD 4 continues to connect. 

I tried connecting to the ICD 4 with my laptop and had no problem.

I installed MPLAB X 5.10 but not as administrator.  As per your suggestion Jim.  Would reinstall as administrator and try that if it did not work.  

It appears that MPLAB X 5.10 has solved the problem.  I did not fully transition from v5.05 to v5.10.  Long story why not.  I have both versions on my machine.

Opened MPLAB X 5.10 and it did see the ICD 4.  Opened MPLAB X 5.05 and it also saw the ICD 4.  Ran the self test it failed. Tried to run it again and it did not see ICD 4.  Opened MPLAB X 5.10 and it did see the ICD 4.  Opened MPLAB X 5.05 and it also saw the ICD 4.  Ran the self test it passed did it 3 more times and it was fine.  Was able to program as well.

Will likely transition to v5.10 soon but for now I will just continue to work on the pressing project.

Thanks to both of you guys for responding.  I am up and running.  I hope this helps others from having to go through the same ordeal.
    Jim Nickerson
    User 452
    • Total Posts : 5447
    Re: MPLAB X IDE will not connect to ICD 4 2018/11/10 09:04:44 (permalink)
    You are welcome.
    I suspect running MplabX 5.10 changed something/ updated the internal software in the ICD4 so it will now also work in MplabX 5.05
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5