Hot!WINC1500 and PIC32MZ, without Harmony

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
malaugh
  • Total Posts : 387
  • Reward points : 0
Re: WINC1500 and PIC32MZ, without Harmony 2019/03/25 15:30:38 (permalink)
Did you look at the OTA method of updating the module firmware?  You just supply the URL of the file server and the name of the file and the module does the rest.  This is the way we have it on our unit.  It's a problem if the module will not connect, since you cannot update if you cannot connect to the server.  

For our production units we use an AWS bucket as the server for the module firmware (and ours).  For testing, you can run http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/ on your own computer, and add the files to that.

We also have the UART pin brought out to a connector for serial updates, we just use the Atmel update tool and an FTDI serial to USB cable to hook it up.  We just use this for own use in-house.

I am not sure about your comment regarding the UART connectivity.  What part of the process requires you to use an RTOS?  
DougD
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: WINC1500 and PIC32MZ, without Harmony 2019/03/25 16:22:10 (permalink)
By UART connectivity, I mean that I also brought out the WINC1500's UART pins so I can connect to them with an FTDI serial to USB cable.  Erik Friesen (friesen) posted to this thread a few days ago.  To deal with possible driver/firmware version mismatches, he suggested running the WINC1500 in "WILC1000 mode", and using the PIC32MZ to host its firmware.  In that mode, the WINC1500 apparently downloads its flash from the host microcontroller (the PIC32MZ, in this case) through its SPI port.  Unfortunately, the code that he developed requires an RTOS, which I won't use for my application.  If OTA updating is that easy, then that does sound like the way to go.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of this.  I think I can configure the SPI and interrupt okay, but it could be a challenge for me to move the ASF code to MPLAB IDE.  It sounds like you do this for a living :-)

malaugh
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: WINC1500 and PIC32MZ, without Harmony 2019/03/25 19:51:58 (permalink)
Just an FYI, you may have got the wrong impression of WILC1000 mode. In this mode the CPU hosts the TCP-IP stack, the stack in the WINC is not used. The argument for this mode is the stack is in your code, so you can debug it. The downside is the program space taken up by the stack, and all the Harmony baggage you need to add. Basically they are two different projects, the WILC Harmony version, and the WINC roll your own code version.
post edited by malaugh - 2019/03/26 06:51:54
DougD
Re: WINC1500 and PIC32MZ, without Harmony 2019/03/26 13:57:27 (permalink)
John,

I looked through your pic_driver.c file and it raised a number of questions.  Was this the only file that you needed to customize?  Were the three include files at the beginning (nm_bus_wrapper.h, nm_bsp.h, and nmasic.h) the only other files that you needed to interface with the WINC1500 driver?

I see where you invoked the nm_interrupt_handler(), but I don't see this function defined anywhere.  I don't know if this is something your application handles, or if it's handled by the WINC1500 driver.

These bits and pieces are helpful, but understanding how they all work together is beyond my expertise.

I think I need a working example that I can modify for the PIC32MZ.  The Microchip MLA has working examples for the PIC24FJ, and I think it makes more sense for me to use one of them as a starting point, rather than trying to figure out how to use the driver files I extracted from the ASF (Atmel Software Framework).

I have one of those working PIC24FJ MLA projects in my MPLAB IDE.  Do you know of an easy way to copy all of the project files (and their folder structures), into another (PIC32MZ) project?

DougD
Re: WINC1500 and PIC32MZ, without Harmony 2019/04/01 14:09:55 (permalink)
5 (1)
John, it worked!  I got the WINC1500 Wifi module working with the PIC32MZ on my custom board, as a stand-alone C project, without Harmony or an RTOS.  It's so cool to see it all working!

Thanks so much to you and everyone else who helped with the many thoughtful comments on this long forum thread.

Doug

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5