• AVR Freaks

MPLABX 5.05 adds support to a stripped-down PK4. what's up with Pay-Per-Feature for PK4?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
NorthGuy
  • Total Posts : 5817
  • Reward points : 0
Re: MPLABX 5.05 adds support to a stripped-down PK4. what's up with Pay-Per-Feature for PK 2018/08/30 09:06:23 (permalink)
4 (1)
Jack_M
To be honest i hoped it would be a much, much smaller chip + minimal circuit that was going to replace the PKOB

If you want small, you may want to try mine. We sell pre-programmed PIC16F1454 chips which you can simply solder on your board. Apart from the chip, you only need few resistors and 0.1uF decoupling cap. You cannot get any smaller than this. It can program over 1,500 different PICs, works much faster than PICkit4, and also provides UART interface to the PIC:

http://www.northernsoftware.com/nsdsp/brd/

NorthGuy
  • Total Posts : 5817
Re: MPLABX 5.05 adds support to a stripped-down PK4. what's up with Pay-Per-Feature for PK 2018/08/30 09:15:02 (permalink)
4 (3)
Howard Long
Lack of HVP is probably just as dangerous: if it's you're only programmer debugger, it's far to easy to disable LVP and brick your target, at least until you can get hold of an HVP.

You cannot brick a PIC with LVP programmer. The LVP programmer cannot clear the LVP bit. This is a safety feature built in every PIC by Microchip.

HVP is indeed dangerous. If you accidentally start programming PIC24 or PIC32 with a PIC16 project, the target may not survive.

HVP is only useful for very low pin count PICs because it frees up the MCLR pin for general use. Otherwise, it's a remnant of the past.

HackInBlack
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: MPLABX 5.05 adds support to a stripped-down PK4. what's up with Pay-Per-Feature for PK 2018/08/31 05:42:21 (permalink)
Other than an even more cut-down version of the PICKit4; i fail to see the point of the Snap. not being able to power ANY target is just silly,LVP only is a major limitation,not just for PIC's but definately for any AVR parts.
The PICKit4, incidentally, has a 'green-light' coverage of just 5% of Microchips part range, according to the latest release notes; around 130 out of almost 2500...so much for the 'Production Programmer' it was touted as when i bought it...after three revisions of MPLAB-X it still beta all the way.
The little 'pay-per-feature' hinted at for the PK4 is a bad sign too; microchip are obviously confusing development tools with video games, and trying to upsell to 'unlock' exta features.This gives a real insight into the current mindset at microchip...are we paying for false promises,toys, or development tools? i really don't know any more.
Antipodean
  • Total Posts : 1779
Re: MPLABX 5.05 adds support to a stripped-down PK4. what's up with Pay-Per-Feature for PK 2018/08/31 05:48:51 (permalink)
HackInBlack
The little 'pay-per-feature' hinted at for the PK4 is a bad sign too; microchip are obviously confusing development tools with video games, and trying to upsell to 'unlock' exta features.This gives a real insight into the current mindset at microchip...are we paying for false promises,toys, or development tools? i really don't know any more.

But as I pointed out elsewhere there are already at least two Pay-per-Feature features for the Real Ice, PtF is not new. These Real Ice features have been around for a long time now. Just because microchip produce a real cheap programmer/debugger that has the ability to add more features by purchasing them is a no-brainer to me. It is rather a case of 'you get what you paid for', especially if you got one for free at Masters.

Do not use my alias in your message body when replying, your message will disappear ...

Alan
JPortici
  • Total Posts : 852
Re: MPLABX 5.05 adds support to a stripped-down PK4. what's up with Pay-Per-Feature for PK 2018/08/31 05:52:08 (permalink)
- Absence of target voltage is a concern, but as others noted it's on par with many of the tools from the competition
- LVP only is not really a limitation, unless you use only > 10yo parts, in which case the chinese clones of old tools are widely available for less than what microchip asks for the snap.
- PK4/ICD4 part coverage is sure a concern, but as larry hinted this is probably due to how they decided to re-do the programmers from scratch. There are a load of parts that need testing. best you can do is drop a line to microchip and ask for them to add support for the parts you need, so they know what to do next. I did it with my personal gmail account, i got promptly answered and in the following release of X all the parts were at least yellow (not all members of family, only the specific parts i requested) some even green.
- pay per feature is a concern BUT somebody up here suggested it refers to remote usb debugging and some other things that are already a paid addon
HackInBlack
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: MPLABX 5.05 adds support to a stripped-down PK4. what's up with Pay-Per-Feature for PK 2018/08/31 07:05:53 (permalink)
I would hope a payed add-on would NOT be the SD card feature in the PICKit4...certainly a case of not getting what you payed for!
I don't know if it works yet...anyone tried with 'X v5.05?
post edited by HackInBlack - 2018/08/31 07:12:54
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5