• AVR Freaks

Helpful ReplyHot!MPLAB X IDE v4.05 starts very slow

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
the.mark.robertson
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
Re: MPLAB X IDE v4.05 starts very slow 2018/02/22 13:48:09 (permalink)
Thanks Jim Nickersen - I am on a slow link at the moment and, today, X was stuck for hours on Starting Modules.  I switched off my WiFi and it started immediately.  After 20 years putting up with awful tools (including 3rd party) I am truly glad this is my last PIC project ever.  I now know I should have killed this one and plopped an ARM in.  

Truly awful experience even though I only use it for debugging on device.  I write all in Studio with wrappers to compile and test core functionallity in Studio.  Ah, Studio.  Where they can get fonts right (the unchangeable ones in X are awful), where they know some of us use high-def screens, where they allow opening of header files (other ones, not just the one for the source I am in), don't optimise code when I say don't optimise, don't get in a flap and generate nonsense code that requires me to find trash code and then fool it into compiling the right code.  I could go on. 

The World of programming has moved in.  This has not.  Outwardly it looks different but it has the same attitude behind it: that programmers can work it all out so we don't need to do a good job.

I know there will be the PIC apologists out there that try and explain all this away.  I call BS.  Apologising means you don't get the tools.

(today I was working on ADCC and, guess what, the IO View does not even show all the registers.  I mean, it is not as if it is not their PIC and their IDE.  Cheese n rice!).

Gort2015
Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Total Posts : 3290
Re: MPLAB X IDE v4.05 starts very slow 2018/02/22 14:39:03 (permalink)
It should have been done for MS VS.
Instead they choose horrible NetBeans.

I totally understand,  MPlab X is riddled with bugs.

The project properties where you have to do it twice.  remove, rename, delete and add.
The constant crashing, glitches with graphics.

Version after version, never fixing.  There are a lot of stuff I don't use in mplab x, I just don't trust it.

Split screens, cloning.  The clipboard problems.  The asm bugs.  If I highlight some code and click on the comment icon, I expect to get ";".  In a cloned window I get "space followed by #".
If I have some numbers in that comment, I get error reports from the assembler.  If I try and un-comment, sometimes it removes both characters, other times it puts in more " #".

nop
nop
nop

#nop   ;<--- space, hash
 #nop
 #nop

It is unstable.

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0
+ ST:Continues, "What Ships are Made for", Q's back.
Gort2015
Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Total Posts : 3290
Re: MPLAB X IDE v4.05 starts very slow 2018/02/22 14:44:21 (permalink)
Not forgetting fantom compiles and editing.

Where you edit a file, compile it and it all seems normal.
Weeks later you find that a library function is not working, check it to find it has not changed even though it was edited and saved.

MPLab X playing up, bug in your code? Nevermind, Star Trek:Discovery will be with us soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0
+ ST:Continues, "What Ships are Made for", Q's back.
lamdaelectronics
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: MPLAB X IDE v4.05 starts very slow 2019/08/17 01:13:53 (permalink)
I removed the FireWall and worked fine. After that I re-enabled the FireWall again, with no problems
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5