Hot!Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool

Author
shanemm
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
2017/11/14 14:47:20 (permalink)

Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool

I've used the Curiosity board with MPLABX in the past with no problems.  However, with the new HPC board I just plugged in I can't select the Curiosity board as a programming tool.  It will show up in the options (no serial # but 'Curiosity' pops up) but I physically cannot click on it.  When I unplug the board the option for using the Curiosity board will go away in MPLABX so I know it's seeing the board.  See attached pictures

Open MPLABX, start a new project>>stand alone project>>pick a device>>look under the 'Microchip Starter Kits' where the Curiosity board should be.  This is the screen I'm stuck on.

Here's the info on my version of MPLABX

Product Version: MPLAB X IDE v4.05
Java: 1.8.0_144; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.144-b01
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_144-b01
System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en (mplab)       

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

12 Replies Related Threads

RISC
    • Total Posts : 5240
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2017/11/14 15:28:43 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hi,
    the tool is red. It probably means you selected a PIC which is not supported by the Curiosity HPC board.
    Which PIC have you selected?
    Regards
    shanemm
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2017/11/14 16:13:18 (permalink)
    PIC18F26K42
    RISC
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2017/11/18 15:45:27 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I have used PIC18F47K40 successfully but probably the K42 family is too recent...
    Hopefully it will be supported in the future. 
    I use curiosity boards for quick prototyping and also because it is easy to add click boards.
    Regards

post edited by RISC - 2017/11/19 17:17:42
    RISC
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2017/11/20 15:16:36 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hi,

I just tried PIC18F25K42 on Curiosity HPC and it works fine.
    I would be surprised that PIC18F26K42 is not supported if PIC18F25K42 is supported
    I use :
    MPLAB X v4.05
    MCC plugin v3.36
    XC8 v1.44

Regards
    davekw7x
    Entropy++
    • Total Posts : 1455
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2017/11/20 15:56:16 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    RISC
    I would be surprised that PIC18F26K42 is not supported

Well, I can truthfully say that I am (almost) never surprised by stuff like this, although I am not infrequently shocked.

For example, using MPLABX 4.05 and XC8 version 1.44, I have completed preliminary software for a PIC18F25K42 project (seems to work just fine, in spite of Yellow pip by PKOB in the hardware selection tool), but the PIC18F26K42 shows Red, and won't let me select PKOB no matter how hard I try.

On the other hand I see a Yellow pip on the PIC18LF26K42 (but I don't have one to test with).  Go figure.

On the other hand (The third hand?  Like Zaphod Beeblebrox?), I have done work with a PIC18F26K22 (Green pip), but thePIC18LF26K22, which I plan to use eventually, has a Red pip. Go figure.  (At least I can complete the software with the one that is supported.)

Oh, well...

Bottom line: I am finding the Curiosity boards to be very useful, and am always delighted when I find they support chips that I am interested in evaluating.  I'm not complaining if I find that there are gaps in the coverage.  I am impressed by the support of the gazillions of chips that Microchip keeps churning out.

Regards,

Dave

post edited by davekw7x - 2017/11/20 18:03:00

Sometimes I just can't help myself...
    RedSpanner
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2018/01/03 18:58:43 (permalink)
    I've also got MPLABX v4.05 installed on a Win10 system, and it appears to 'see' the Curiosity HPC dev board, but it won't allow selection of the board with a PIC18F26K83 installed in the Curiosity board. I'll try it with the original MCU installed, but given the comment above, I wonder if the extra RAM/ROM on the xx26Kxx MCU is part of the problem. 
    Dean 
    RedSpanner
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2018/01/03 19:29:44 (permalink)
    Following on from my earlier post... I went back to the Curiosity board and, without removing the PIC18F26K83, I changed the initial project configuration MCU to the family member with lower RAM/ROM (the PIC18F25K83). The result was unchanged, the board was visible in MPLABX4.05 but was not selectable. 

Then I re-installed the MCU that the Curiosity board shipped with -- PIC16F18875 and the system came up fine, the Curiosity dev board was selectable, etc.

I'm going to reinstall the PIC18F26, but will see if I can 'speak to' the board with my PICkit 3 debugger. 

Dean

Alvaro
    New Users
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2018/05/13 04:50:56 (permalink)
    davekw7x
    RISC
    I would be surprised that PIC18F26K42 is not supported

Well, I can truthfully say that I am (almost) never surprised by stuff like this, although I am not infrequently shocked.

For example, using MPLABX 4.05 and XC8 version 1.44, I have completed preliminary software for a PIC18F25K42 project (seems to work just fine, in spite of Yellow pip by PKOB in the hardware selection tool), but the PIC18F26K42 shows Red, and won't let me select PKOB no matter how hard I try.

On the other hand I see a Yellow pip on the PIC18LF26K42 (but I don't have one to test with).  Go figure.

On the other hand (The third hand?  Like Zaphod Beeblebrox?), I have done work with a PIC18F26K22 (Green pip), but thePIC18LF26K22, which I plan to use eventually, has a Red pip. Go figure.  (At least I can complete the software with the one that is supported.)

Oh, well...

Bottom line: I am finding the Curiosity boards to be very useful, and am always delighted when I find they support chips that I am interested in evaluating.  I'm not complaining if I find that there are gaps in the coverage.  I am impressed by the support of the gazillions of chips that Microchip keeps churning out.

Regards,

Dave

Hi davekw7x

I got the Curiosity HPC and I'm trying to work with the PIC18F26K22. I read you were using it. The thing is I'm trying to run a demo code that is in Microchip website and can't get it working.

I first tried with MPLAB X IDE v4.15 and then I read that this version has bugs for this micro. Then I used v3.65 and got this error message:

Target voltage detected
    Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID. Please check your connections to the Target Device.
    Device Erased...
    Programming...
    The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
    program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x5ff
    configuration memory
    program memory
    Address: 0 Expected Value: 54 Received Value: 0
    Failed to program device

Any idea what's going on?

Regards
    RISC
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2018/05/13 06:34:38 (permalink)
    Hi,

Do not use old version of MPLAB X with curiosity boards because you will not be table to select some PICs...
    I use MPLAB X v4.15 which has, like every version, some bugs but it works overall fine.
    If a tool/PIC is shown yellow, don't care it just means it is not yet production released. It takes some months before to move green but actually yellow is similar to green. What is not supported is red.
    I have personally already developed with Curiosity HPC AND PIC18F27K42 so I know it works well ;=)
    sometimes it could be that not all memory variants from a PIC are supported. Select one which has the same pinout with possibly more memory than the one you wan to use in your final system.
    At some stage you'll probably anyway switch to your own board ;=)

Regards
    davekw7x
    Entropy++
    • Total Posts : 1455
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2018/05/13 10:31:40 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Alvaro

...Curiosity HPC...PIC18F26K22.... can't get it working.

...Any idea what's going on?

Since the subject of getting new Curiosity boards working comes up a lot, I'll share my experiences...

First of all, I have found it less problematic if I plug in the Curiosity board before opening MPLABX.  I'll assume you have done this.

Now...
    In my experience there are three steps to getting any new Curiosity board working:
    1. If the version of MPLABX is different from the one that was used to program the Curiosity, the PKOB basic operational firmware usually has to be updated.
    2. If the basic firmware has just been updated (or was previously updated under the current version of MPLABX, and the chip for the current project is different from the chip that was most recently used with this Curiosity board), the specific data for this chip must be uploaded to the Curiosity PKOB.
    3. Finally, MPLABX sends the hex file for the current project to the PKOB.

If step 1 is performed, subsequent steps always fail, and you have to try again.  At least for me, they always, always, always fail at the first attempt at step 1.  I click "Make and Program" again to retry.

Step 1 is the only real head-scratcher for me, and this can be a stumbling block.  In some cases, at the first retry, instead of telling me that the firmware is for "Enhanced Midrange" (or some appropriate family) many times it says "Unknown type" or some such thing.

At this point, sometimes it works if I select another "Hardware Tool" in the Project->Properties box (PICKit3 or Simulator, or whatever) and click "Apply."  Then, it lets me select the Curiosity board, and it's ready for the next step.  Sometimes I have had to unplug and plug in the Curiosity board to get it to work.  There have been times when I had to get out of MPLABX, unplug and plug in the Curiosity board and reopen the project in MPLABX.

Then, assuming it gets past Step 1 with a good "Firmware" message...

At Step 2: If it gets to the part where you want to select your chip, note the following:
    • If there is a Red Pip beside the PKOB: Fuggedaboudit.  You will not be able to select the PKOB with your chip.  Maybe PKOB with your chip will be in the next version of MPLABX.
    • If there is a Green Pip beside the PKOB, and it lets you select the Curiosity board, you should be Good To Go.  (Just make sure the chip that is plugged into the Curiosity board is the same as the chip specified for this project configuration.)
    • If there is a Yellow Pip, you can select the Curiosity.  Maybe it will program, maybe not.  (See Footnote)

Now, assuming you have selected your Curiosity board, it will try to program the device.  In my experience, with a new chip, it always fails the first attempt to program.  I just click the "Make and Program" icon again and it tries.
    If you get a message like "Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID," you can  abort and try again, but there is absolutely point in trying to click through the warning.  This attempt will fail.  Period.  Full stop.

If you got a green pip and still can't get past this point, as a very last resort, do all of the things I suggested at first: Get out of MPLABX, unplug and plug the Curiosity board and try again.

Regards,

Dave
    Footnote:
    Sometimes devices with a Yellow Pip can work; sometimes not.  For example the PIC18F27K42 showed up with a Yellow Pip under MPLABX version 4.10, but couldn't be programmed.  (Got the Invalid Device ID message.)  But under MPLABX version 4.15, it still has the Yellow Pip (in fact XC8 version 1.45 has a Yellow Pip also), but everything that I have tested for this chip works just fine.

post edited by davekw7x - 2018/05/13 10:51:23

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Sometimes I just can't help myself...
    Mysil
    • Total Posts : 2831
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2018/05/13 14:29:50 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    Hi,
    PICkit On Board mostly use PICkit 3 software and tables,
    so many devices that can be used with PICkit 3. may be used with PKOB, on condition that they are able to be programmed with LVP without use of PGM pin.

There is an additional table listing which device types that are expected work with PKOB boards,
    It is stored in a .jar file, on my computer, it is in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v4.15\mplab_ide\mdbcore\modules\com-microchip-mplab-mdbcore-pkobskde.jar
    Inside the file there is:
    com\microchip\mplab\mdbcore\pkobskde.jar
    \com\microchip\mplab\mdbcore\pkobskde\pkobskde.platformTool.xml

In MPLAB X v4.15 , it look like this for K42 devices:
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F24K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F25K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF24K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF25K42" mp:support="beta"/>

<mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF26K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF45K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF46K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF55K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF56K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F26K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F45K42" mp:support="beta"/>

<mp:device mp:name="PIC18F27K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F27K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF27K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F47K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF47K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F57K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18LF57K42" mp:support="beta"/>

<mp:device mp:name="PIC18F46K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F55K42" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC18F56K42" mp:support="beta"/> 

"beta" means yellow pip is shown,
    "yes" means green pip will show up.

In the list of K22 devices, PIC18F26K22 is present, and PIC18LF26K22 is indeed missing!

I have some PIC32MM devices in 28-pin PDIP package, and Microstick II board with PKOB.
    As default, PKOB do not like this combination, while 36 pin device is supported.
    By editing the file like this, it is accepted:
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC32MM0064GPL028" mp:support="beta"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC32MM0064GPL036" mp:support="yes"/>
                <mp:device mp:name="PIC32MM0256GPM064" mp:support="beta"/>

The same edit have to be done for each new version.

Editing files residing in a .jar file is tricky. It make sense to make a copy of the file before trying to make changes.
    I have used WinZip to open the container, then Notepad++ to open the file for editing inside Winzip.
    When updated file have been saved, WinZip will ask to replace the file in .jar.

MPLAB X must be closed down while editing,
    and then Cache directory must be cleared for change to have effect, User directory should be left untouched.

Regards,
        Mysil
    RISC
    Re: Can't select Curiosity board as programming tool 2018/05/13 14:42:55 (permalink)
    Hi Mysil,

Thanks for this excellent explanation which opens up the ability to add some devices to PKOB when not officially supported ;=)

Regards

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5